Quantcast

Intense 951 owners: What springs are you running?

ivanfiestas

Chimp
Oct 23, 2009
Hi, since there is a little confusion about the spring rates that people should be using on their 951, I though we all could list here our specs, in this order.

RIDER WEIGHT (WITHOUT GEAR) - SHOCK - SPRING RATE - SETTING OF INCHES (8 or 8.5)

List of users and specs:

Ivan Fiestas
169 - CCDB - 450 - 8

ekripper
170 - RC4 - 400 - 8

kanter
175 - Roco - 400 - 8

wbc friend

config 1 (old)
175 - CCDB - 500 - 8
config 1 (recent and better)
175 - CCDB - 350 - 8

winger
180 - X-Fusion Vector HLR - 550 - 8.5

bdamshen
200 - RC4 - 500 - 8

wbc
250 - RC4 - 450 - 8

You can copy and paste my specs and change the entry so I will be editing the initial post in order to have an organized list.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
250lbs rider, 450lbs spring, RC4, 8" mode.

I never bottom out, get proper sag with a decent amount of LSC and air pressure and the bike rides great! It rides high enough in it's travel to still eat bumps, pumps well, everything works like it should!

I think a lot of you guys are running way too high of a spring rate! I started with a 600 and found that to utilize much of the travel I was running too little LSC and the bike was wallowy - lost in its travel. I think the 951 is so progressive that to make it ride like a DH bike vs an overgrown jump bike, you've gotta run less spring and more compression.

Last edited:

Winger

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
180 lbs, 8.5 setting, 550 Ti spring... X-Fusion Vector HLR... dropout in the middle setting

ivanfiestas

Chimp
Oct 23, 2009
Thank you guys, Im getting a 450 spring soon, I havent ridden the bike yet, but Im sure 450 is gonna be way better than 500. Im updating my first post to keep data easy.

ivanfiestas

Chimp
Oct 23, 2009
I got a question guys: I weight 169 + gear, and my 951 came with a 500# spring. I was sure I needed a 400 or 450 until two hours ago, when I rode it first time. With factory settings and a 500 spring, I bottom out a couple of times with not so big stuff. Should I switch to a lower spring rate anyway and add some hi-speed compression?

brocelif

Chimp
Oct 28, 2006
That is shocking that you are bottoming out that much. Most riders are not experiencing that with your weight/spring. I (155 lbs.) have a 400 in the 8.5 and it is hard to bottom out.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
A good friend of mine at 175lbs started with a 500 on a CCDB for a few months, then recently went to a 350 (IIRC), and said his bike felt a lot better.

Just like me, he's riding it in the long dropout setting at 8" travel.

I've had good, long days of riding every sat and sun for the past 3 months I've owned my bike, starting with the 600 and going to the 450, and riding it with a softer spring and more LSC makes it overall a lot more fun for the trails I'm riding (not super fast, but steep and tight). When it gets really fast and rough, I think the bike with the stiffer spring got hung up a little less, but I know I'm faster riding it soft - and it still jumps really well.

ivanfiestas

Chimp
Oct 23, 2009
A good friend of mine at 175lbs started with a 500 on a CCDB for a few months, then recently went to a 350 (IIRC), and said his bike felt a lot better.

Just like me, he's riding it in the long dropout setting at 8" travel.

I've had good, long days of riding every sat and sun for the past 3 months I've owned my bike, starting with the 600 and going to the 450, and riding it with a softer spring and more LSC makes it overall a lot more fun for the trails I'm riding (not super fast, but steep and tight). When it gets really fast and rough, I think the bike with the stiffer spring got hung up a little less, but I know I'm faster riding it soft - and it still jumps really well.
Thank you for the feedback.

I started with a 500 and now im running a 450. Havent had that the opportunity to test it yet. I just found a good deal on a Ti 400 spring, and Im doubtful (maybe too soft for me?) Who knows...

In addition, running too much LSC will result in a loss of traction...right?

RazvanDH

Chimp
Jun 13, 2007
175 - CCDB - 500 - 8
But rode it just a weekend...the 500 lbs spring seems ok for me with around 30% sag, altough on the paper I have calculated I should need softer spring. I have tried also the 8.5 setting, you can really feel the difference between the 2 settings, ride wise.
I did some adjustments to the CCDB, still have to ride and try different setups, I'm not really happy yet, too bad its winter here ...
Also, some strange noises from the shock, on big compresions, I think that the spring is rubbing on the plastic sleeve of the CCDB, anyway the noise is quite disturbing YMO.

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
i ride it in long 8.5inch very nice in berms but to low in BB now i ride it 8inch middle. but i like more the low and slack position... but than the BB hit the ground very quick...