Quantcast

intense 951 shock problem

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO
The 951 is a wierd bike. As you mentioned you feel, it does hover deep in the stroke, around the 45-75% of the travel range (clip a lot of pedals). The Cane Creek guys ran a dyno test on the bike and mentioned the 2 stage curve was 'unlike anything they had seen'. Early ramp, soft in this midstroke, then ramps hard in the last quarterish of travel.

I think if you are capable, play with the stack in the vivid. The deeper you go into the tunes with the RS, the further in the stroke they ramp (according to the RS guy, I'm not very familiar with RS shocks so I'm just regurgitating info here). Considering this and the curve of the 95er, I would aim to play with an A tune. In theory, it could ramp earlier in the stroke and provide for more of a linear feel as a whole. (Disclaimer: Linear is not a word I would ever use to describe the sensation of this particular bike as it moves through the travel, but more linear feel....maybe.)

I wouldn't mess with the spring rate. 30% sag and move on.

In addition, yes, use a softer bumpstop. Like others have mentioned, when you reach the end of the travel (but haven't necessarily bottomed out), you won't be feeling so much.

Call RS. Call Intense. The vivid is spec'd on the complete 951, so they should at least be able to suggest what tune they are spec'ing (although that will likely be based solely on SoCal riding).

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
i do know how the shock works...or else i wont know how to rebuild it...but i never expected the shock to be going into the plastic bumper area...

the only reason why i asked this is because i want to know if somethings wrong with my shock (tune/setting/whatever), or if its the frame itself
Like PTW, I am not trying to be rude. You need to understand something about asking for advice over the internet, without being there, we can only offer so much. Everyuone is going off what you posted. First off, if you think changing rebound will help with bottom out, you need to learn what rebound does, and why it does it. Only way<as myself and otehrs have stated> rebound will help with bottom out.... is if you have way too much low speed rebound, and your packing up the back end, meaning your wheel is not returning fast enough befor the next hit, meaning your about to use up the same travel as before, but with a new starting point.

Please dont take this offensivle, if you truly knew all of how your shock works, you would have known about the bottom out bumper being the cushion for the last bit of stroke.

Saying you know how the shock works because you can rebuild it doesnt go very far here, I know quite a few people that are capable of working on suspension, that havent the slightest clue how it actually works, or whats going on inside of it.

You asked about a spring rates because your bottoming, many people already understand if you set the sag right, your done with the spring, its now setup on the shock to control bottom out.

Again, Im not trying to be an ass, but with the symptoms you have listed, this is what people are seeing is that your shock is not setup properly. From what you have listed, it sounds your rebound is too slow, and your comp is to fast.

Lets just pick off what has been listed in thread after thread. Pick a section of trail you can session over and over. ZTake your setting to the extreme to really get a feel for what they do, and what their ranges are. go one at a time, a little at a time till you like what you get.

Remember the vivid isnt one of those shocks that will be set in a couple minutes, you need to take a bit of time to really dial it in.

If you just arent happy with it, and just cant get it how you want it, maybe its time to swap for something with less user interaction, IE, just low speed controls for user controls.

AzN_devil

Monkey
Jun 18, 2009
Hong Kong
ok...my settings now are...
end stroke rebound 2 clicks away from fastest
begin stroke rebound 4/5 clicks away from fastest

the bump stop i will switch back to a softer one tomorrow and see if it helps..

i mentioned about the spring in the beginning because i just wanted to know i have the right spring...

still waiting for the shim stack so i can have more compression....and see whether it helps or not