Quantcast

Intense Cycles cuts their Race Team

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
From declinemagazine.com

"It's a pretty dark day when you hear about one of the most passionate downhill companies cutting their race team. While the official word hasn't been made, the mechanic and team manager have been "let go" and Chris Kovarik is looking for a ride for 2006. There were talks about MS Racing in Europe picking up the slack, which would mean Kovarik could stay on an Intense, but that may or may not happen. At this time, former Team Manager, Nick Sunseri is seeking a place for Kovarik to call home in 2006. Intense is still dedicated to making incredible bikes, but just doesn't see the need for the U.S.-based Pro-level race team. "

Holy schnitzalls.....!!

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
i see that now.......after searching a bit...

....that guy needs to go to...."thread starting" school......

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I didn't see the other post. It's too bad that Intense won't have a team in '06. Intense is an established company, and I guess they feel they don't need pro riders racing their bikes in order to sell bikes. It's just a business decision; I guess they can't justify the cost of a team...

Nonetheless, I'm sure Sabrina J. and Kovarik shouldn't have any trouble getting a new ride for '06.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
stiksandstones said:
You would be surprised.

Yeah, I will never understand why top level pros struggle to get deals. You often here about world champs etc still looking for deals pretty near the start of the season.

You would think that riders like Mio Seumosa (sp?) would have a que of people wanting to sponsor them.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
In sponsorship you always need a "Plan B". All DH pros need to read the debacle that occured when Schwinn, GT and Mongoose were gobbled up by Pacific and the contracts of almost every major player in the game was neutralized. Peaty lucked out by being the man among men at the time it happened, but even he got shafted pretty dang hard that year and lost a LOT of money.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
stiksandstones said:
You would be surprised.
Good point. I would like to think that two riders as talented as Jonnier and Kovarik wouldn't have any trouble getting new rides, but I guess you never know. Luckily, it's only October, so they do have some time to secure new sponsors for next season.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
bizutch said:
Peaty lucked out by being the man among men at the time it happened, but even he got shafted pretty dang hard that year and lost a LOT of money.
He ended up getting that money from a bankruptcy ruling i think.......

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Sucks.
If it wasn't for racing, nobody would have even heard of Intense.

Steber used to be the most passionate race supporter in the business.

Wasn't it after Deer Valley this year that he said, "That's it, my riders are not going to another Norba National."

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Cant Climb said:
He ended up getting that money from a bankruptcy ruling i think.......
Stik can clarify on this one, but I remember the CEO's and higher up's actually cashed in on their "incentives" and "bonuses" per certain labor laws...but there being something during that whole process that left Peat out.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Jeremy R said:
Sucks.

Wasn't it after Deer Valley this year that he said, "That's it, my riders are not going to another Norba National."
guess '06 & 07 sales will tell him if the team is a worthy investment.

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
bizutch said:
Stik can clarify on this one, but I remember the CEO's and higher up's actually cashed in on their "incentives" and "bonuses" per certain labor laws...but there being something during that whole process that left Peat out.

he was probably a contractor

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
Jeremy R said:
Sucks.

You can still support the sport w/o having a pro team... Imagine- more grass roots support. The am's are the ones who buy bikes and make create Intense's profits.....

It will be interesting to see what they do

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Man that sucks. It's no wonder why racing has gone down hill. If I had a team and the way things are ran I don't think I'd want them racing either. There's no incentive for a team to race really besides winning plaques or number plates with "#1" on them. There's enough bike sponsors out there but not enough to give the coin to race. You wouldn't see nascar or any other competitive racing series compete without a prize pruse of some sort. It's just a messed up market is all.

I'd like to see them back into it but clearly if the race team is being cut due to the way races are run then I think you'll see more and more teams leave as it's not worth it to the companies OR racers.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Why buy an Intense when you can get a Santa Cruz for 60% the price........the only bike Intense has that stands apart is the M3.....Scanta Cruz does everything better and cheaper IMO.

Didn't streber buy the VPP patent and then sell it to SC......?.......bet he regrets that......

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Cant Climb said:
Why buy an Intense when you can get a Santa Cruz for 60% the price........the only bike Intense has that stands apart is the M3.....Scanta Cruz does everything better and cheaper IMO.

Didn't streber buy the VPP patent and then sell it to SC......?.......bet he regrets that......
Agreed, Santa Cruz makes great bikes--I won't argue that point. In my opinion, however, there is just something about Intense's bikes that are second to none. I for one, would spend the extra money to get an M3--over a V10. As for the VPP, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) Santa Cruz bought the right to use the VPP from the old school company Outland.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Msisle Dad said:
You can still support the sport w/o having a pro team... Imagine- more grass roots support. ...
Suziuki almost single handedly revived their racing bike programs with their innovative grass roots program years back. They set up shop aht the major events and Loretta Lynn, etc and sold parts at their cost out the back of the truck, gave away jerseys, you name it. That is HUGE for a moto company to be on site and supplying pistons and rings!!! Almost every grassroots kid on a budget bought a Suzuki for the upcoming season when they announced it.

Sep 10, 2001
Like Stik said.... Think of how many companies have the $$$ to shell out to paid a pro big bucks... And then look at the NORBA nationals....

Brian

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Cant Climb said:

I have to disagree with you. I feel that Intenses VPP designs are more refined than Santa Cruz. For example, the M3 has a longer stroke shock and less travel than the V10, (lower leverage ratio) as well as more racing oriented geometry.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
WheelieMan said:
I have to disagree with you. I feel that Intenses VPP designs are more refined than Santa Cruz. For example, the M3 has a longer stroke shock and less travel than the V10, (lower leverage ratio) as well as more racing oriented geometry.
Everyone keeps mentioning the M3 i said in my post the M3 stands apart, as in, it is clearly better then the V10.........but that's where it ends......SC's other bikes blow Intense out the water for price and quality....

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
stiksandstones said:
Unreal that Decline posted this crap before even talking with Jeff about it...poor journalism.
if its a press release from the known team manager, how is that bad journalism...thats why jeff had the position filled by someone else..to keep every mag and desk jockey off his back. :nuts: (end rant)

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
v10"o-PlEaSuRe said:
if its a press release from the known team manager, how is that bad journalism...thats why jeff had the position filled by someone else..to keep every mag and desk jockey off his back. :nuts: (end rant)
Bad Journalism because this would have been a MAJOR piece of news (albeit in this tiny world of DH racing) that would have any legit press group contacting the owner of a company for further statement on such a newsworthy item. News that the team is disbanding from the TM screams for 'more info'.
Not the first time Dave House has posted/printed bogus info because it would get viewers/readers. (end rant) ;)