Quantcast

Intense frame refurbishing

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
im thinking about buying an m-1 off my friend and i heard somewhere that you can get the frame checked out, new bearings, paint and stickers for a fee,

is this true and anyone know how much it costs?

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Last I heard they stopped doing it, because people were getting there used frames refurbished, and then selling them as new.

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
yah i called and got an answer, but i wasnt verry happy afterwards..

first off i couldnt understand chris kovariks little peice (no biggie i was tired) so i waited for the operator and this was our convo

Me: Hi i was wondering if you guys still did refurbishing on m1's

Operator man: No. We havent done that for awhile now. Bye.

Me: uhh ok.

Him: click

i was so shocked i forgot to ask if they sold sticker kits for them or anything for when i get it custom painted. hopefully he was just having a bad day and it wasnt a sign of what their cs will be like if i ever need help

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
do it yourself

strip paint
sand and do details
prep
paint
resticker
clear coat

very good idea considering the two times ive done that to m1`s ive found small cracks.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I've gotten emails maybe 9 months ago when I was asking around about it. They'd check the frame over, re-powder coat it, change the bearings, and give it a new sticker kit for $150 or something similar to that. It was definately a good deal on all the above.

Sticker kits for M1's (if they have any) were $50 I think. Bearing kits were $30 I think?. Rear 12mm TA axle and adapters for it was like $35. Other than that I dunno the prices. But I'm pretty close to the ballpark of what they told me.

I think in most terms the M1's done with as far as Intense cares for. I have a M1 too so I feel your pain with everything. I haven't had to use them for anything yet (thank god).

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Yeah I'd say just use them for the sticker kit...there are a ton of places that will powdercoat it, you can get better bearings from someone like enduro, easier and probably cheaper.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Boca bearings is where I get mine. Cheap, easy to find, and as long as you have the numbers on the bearings or what size you need it's money. On the M1 I've only had to replace the main pivot ones, other than that the rest are fine.

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
mxer338 said:
yah i called and got an answer, but i wasnt verry happy afterwards..

first off i couldnt understand chris kovariks little peice (no biggie i was tired) so i waited for the operator and this was our convo

Me: Hi i was wondering if you guys still did refurbishing on m1's

Operator man: No. We havent done that for awhile now. Bye.

Me: uhh ok.

Him: click

i was so shocked i forgot to ask if they sold sticker kits for them or anything for when i get it custom painted. hopefully he was just having a bad day and it wasnt a sign of what their cs will be like if i ever need help
Sounds like my conversation with them a year or so ago. Same questions and same answers. Same goes for my buddy who just got pissed and swore off Intense frames forever.

Who knows, maybe the guy was having a bad day because he would have rather been out riding. Yes, I know they are too big and too busy but that is pretty crappy.

That is why in '04 I went with Foes and for '05 went with Turner DHR.

With Turner, I was called back and everyone I spoke to was way cool and knowledgeable. Then again, if you or I had actually been able speak with someone at Intense besides the receptionist, it might have gone better.

I say buy it anyways and do a search of frame painters on RM. Do it yourself replacement of the bearings isn't too hard. Use Intense for sticker kits/hardware.

Spunger is right. You can bet they are done with M1's since the M3 is now being produced. They went to VPP on all frames so most likely they have no older rear ends in stock.

Oh yeah, did Intense ever do anything about the misaligned ISCG tabs on the M3's? I saw that E13 came out with an adapter for the misaligned tabs. Just curious.

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
alright thanks for the response guys, im going to look into someone around here who can paint the frame