Quantcast

Intense frame

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I took a look at an Intense Tracer frame today. Any of you have an opinion about this frame? I'm looking for a new trailbike that can climb well but still take a good beating. I've never ridden an Intense before, so I was hoping for a little feedback. Thanks.

I am a little weary about buying just a frame and buiding my own bike, but I think it'd be a fun and rewarding project (I have limited maintenace skills). Being able to pick and choose components would be cool. Besides, I know a couple of fellow monkeys that I'm sure would be happy to help me out with assembly (nudge nudge wink wink).
:)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I've never ridden a Tracer, so can't speak as to its geometry or weight, but I can say that the craftsmanship on my Uzzi SLX frame is wonderful. Take one out for a spin, and go for it; building bikes isn't that hard.

R

RideMonkey

Question: Didnt you want to get a bike that had a bit more travel and was beefier than the RM that you have currently? It seems that everything you have looked at is similar to your current bike in terms of travel and construction.

Have you looked at bikes like the RM Slayer, or Specialized Enduro? If you wanted a beefier bike from intense there is the Uzzi SL. These bikes have more travel (4-5") and beffier frames.

While buying a frame and building up is fun, it is a VERY expensive process as compared to buying a complete bike. I love to do it, just make sure you are prepared for the expense.

MBC keeps telling us what a big hunk of a man you are so you probably need a beefy bike to complement your outstanding physique.

:monkey:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
RM, I tell the LBS what kind of riding I do, and that I'm looking for a strong trailbike that can take a pounding, yet still climb reasonably well. The bikes I've looked at are what they've recommended. I've gone to four shops, and so far, they recommended:

Tomac 98 Special Pro
Intense Tracer
Kona Bear / Bear DL
Santa Cruz Bullit

It seems to me that you could save money by buying the parts instead of complete bike, no? I thought that you pay extra for the complete bike. Pardon my ignorance, but I'm new to the process. :cool:

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by I Are Baboon
RM, I tell the LBS what kind of riding I do, and that I'm looking for a strong trailbike that can take a pounding, yet still climb reasonably well. The bikes I've looked at are what they've recommended. I've gone to four shops, and so far, they recommended:

Tomac 98 Special Pro
Intense Tracer
Kona Bear / Bear DL
Santa Cruz Bullit

It seems to me that you could save money by buying the parts instead of complete bike, no? I thought that you pay extra for the complete bike. Pardon my ignorance, but I'm new to the process. :cool:
I think the Bear is kind of the more-burly trail bike that I am talking about, a bit different from those others you looked at.

Nope, the big bike companies have a lot of buying power. They buy thousands of forks and component groups and can offer complete bikes at substantial discounts over what you could piece one together for.

If you wanted a bike like the Tracer, expect to pay almost twice what a similar Specialized would cost (Specialized has almost the same frame design).

BUT there is nothing as satisfying as buying a nice hand-crafted frame and choosing every component yourself. I just did it :)

R

RideMonkey

What is it about your RM that you would like to change/upgrade?

I am getting a bike similar to the bikes you have been looking at. Light XC full suspension. But my goals for the year are more race oriented. Do you want a bike that is more speed/performance oriented or a bike that you can do a lot of log/rock bashing, short drops etc?

Originally posted by RideMonkey

MBC keeps telling us what a big hunk of a man you are so you probably need a beefy bike to complement your outstanding physique.

nice! lol.

From the research I've been doing, there seems to be this emergence of a new breed of bikes - the area that falls between XC and Full on Freeride bike - this is where the Slayer and Bear fall. For those companies who don't have frames specifically for this purpose, they have created what they are calling "beefier XC bikes" like the Tomac and the Intense Tracer.

As far as components, they all use the same ones. He wants to upgrade his drivetrain from mostly lx to xt and maybe even xtr if the price is right. The real decisions to be made are with the suspension - both front and rear.

IMO - he need to find a frame that fits well and can take a beating. He's been complaing about back pain lately and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with his saddle position. Once he finds that - parts can come and go.

That is our QUEST!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
What is it about your RM that you would like to change/upgrade?

I am getting a bike similar to the bikes you have been looking at. Light XC full suspension. But my goals for the year are more race oriented. Do you want a bike that is more speed/performance oriented or a bike that you can do a lot of log/rock bashing, short drops etc?
Honestly, there is a LOT I'd like to change about my RM. The frame is fine, but I would like cushier rear suspension. Rather than upgrade most of the compenets, it just makes sense to buy a new bike and hold onto the Rocky for backup. Everything seems to be breaking on my RM, so it makes sense to me that I just need something stronger. I'd definitely like to look at a Slayer, but I hear 2002 production on them is complete, so they are tough to find now. And I don't know if I have the patience to wait for the 2003's.

I do a lot of log and rock bashing, but I tend to ride where there are lot of climbs as well. I don't necessarily need speed or performance, I am more concerned about my bike withstanding the pouding I've been handing to it.

R

RideMonkey

If I wasn't racing much, and I had to ride just one bike, AND I lived in an area with a lot of rough technical terrain, I'd get one of these new trail bikes that you mention MBC. I really like the Slayer when I rode it, and its got 4.5 in the rear.

You should look at the Specialized Enduros as well.

I'm not saying that this would be the best bike for you, just guessing based on what you are riding now. I don't think that the frame characteristics of something like an Intense Tracer are going to be a big change from what you are riding now.

dg806

Chimp
Apr 26, 2002
Charlotte, NC
IAB...usually if you don't buy a top of the line bike, say 3-5k, the components will not be all top notch! If you build it yourself, like you said you can choose. And maybe if you get lucky you can find the components on-line cheeper than what you would pay for on a top of the line bike! I think it would be neat to build one! But I'm like you...when it comes to adjusting brakes and shifting linkage, I would screw it up!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
My husband has a brand new 2002 Specialized Enduro that he rides as an everything trail bike. Climbs well, descends awesome - all around good bike.

R

RideMonkey

I do a lot of log and rock bashing, but I tend to ride where there are lot of climbs as well. I don't necessarily need speed or performance, I am more concerned about my bike withstanding the pouding I've been handing to it.
Well I think that settles it, get the longer travel bike like the Slayer, Bear, or Enduro.

If you wanted to start with a frame the Intense UZZI SL is great, theres a lot of great custom frames from small builders that fit this bill. The Turner XCE is probably the best you could buy (painfull on the wallet though).

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England

Well I think that settles it, get the longer travel bike like the Slayer, Bear, or Enduro.

If you wanted to start with a frame the Intense UZZI SL is great, theres a lot of great custom frames from small builders that fit this bill. The Turner XCE is probably the best you could buy (painfull on the wallet though).
I don't want to spend $1800 on an UZZI frame. :( A Built Bear is cheaper than that.

I looked at Enduors yesterday, but hadn't considered it. Maybe I'll drop by the LBS and take one for a ride.

BTW, I am still going to demo the Tomac this weekend. I have it booked (it's free), and why not spend a day beating the hell out of a $2800 bike that's not mine? :)

Flipper

Chimp
Nov 19, 2001
Southern Ontario
I have an intense uzzi DH, similar to the newer slx. It has 6 inches of travel. I use it for trail riding it works alright. It might have too much travel for longer rides but for an hour or two I don't mind it. I have it setup with a 6 inch fork and 2 rings up front with a bash guard. Building a custom bike is very expensive, but picking out all the parts yourself for your needs is very enjoyable. I don't know where I am going with this, but the craftsmanship with the intense is first rate. Most of the parts are cnc'ed and the fit and finish is great. Here is a picture of the frame, I couldn't find a complete bike shot on my work computer.

Attachments

R

RideMonkey

Hehe I have to admit that the Enduros are not my favorite in terms of paint.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I second the recommendation of the Enduro. With the money saved you can repaint it to please MBC...

The other bike I would look at (but definitely wouldn't buy without a test-ride) is the new rocky mountain ETS. It looks like they really did their homework on this one, and it falls right where you're looking. Longish travel, all-around XC and epics. I think it will ride very different than the other bikes out there though.
I'm not usually a fan of Gary Fischer, but the new Sugar is longer travel and adjustable so it's also worth looking into.

And if you can find one, Klein is going to be building a Maverick-style bike, which should be pretty sweet and maybe in your price range.

I'd still put the Enduro and the Bear at the top of the list though.

Have fun.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by ohio
I second the recommendation of the Enduro. With the money saved you can repaint it to please MBC...

The other bike I would look at (but definitely wouldn't buy without a test-ride) is the new rocky mountain ETS. It looks like they really did their homework on this one, and it falls right where you're looking. Longish travel, all-around XC and epics. I think it will ride very different than the other bikes out there though.
I'm not usually a fan of Gary Fischer, but the new Sugar is longer travel and adjustable so it's also worth looking into.

And if you can find one, Klein is going to be building a Maverick-style bike, which should be pretty sweet and maybe in your price range.

I'd still put the Enduro and the Bear at the top of the list though.

Have fun.
Yeah, I think I'll go look at the Enduros.

Any idea what the RM ETSX50 goes for? I think I saw somewhere that the X70 goes for low $3,000, which is out of my range.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Bear= way too short a cockpit for the riding we do (definately my opinion here monkeys!;) )

Enduro= too much maitenance IMO...I took one out last season in the lot, and got the rear to FLEX out!:eek: IAB would see some issues there I think.

IAB, you know where I stand here bro...lets get you a frame, then dial in the parts! With so many on-line/mail order shops with so many various deals, we could hook up your rig very nicely!
Have you taken a look at the Heckler? I think thats where you'd find a nice balance b/w the Bear's 4" and the Bullit's 7"...of course I'm biased to the single pivots!:rolleyes: :D

Later

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by VTinCT

Enduro= too much maitenance IMO...I took one out last season in the lot, and got the rear to FLEX out!:eek: IAB would see some issues there I think.

You must not have had things set up properly. That bike should not FLEX out with proper set-up.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA

Have you taken a look at the Heckler?
Can't believe I forgot that one. That would be ideal, and I'm actually biased towards single pivots as well (though I really like the ETS concept). I can't believe you can't find one. I thought west of the mississippi you can't spit without hitting a Santa Cruz

To answer IAB's question, I have no idea what the ETSX50 runs, but I'm sure RockyM will tell you the retail and delivery date if you give them a call.
I also forgot to mention the Titus LocoMoto, which is probably my first choice for the type of bikes you're looking at. Single pivot, low/active pivot point, light-weight, good company, fairly cheap (~$1200 I think)... If it fits, that would be a great choice.

Can't believe I forgot that one. That would be ideal, and I'm actually biased towards single pivots as well (though I really like the ETS concept). I can't believe you can't find one. I thought west of the mississippi you can't spit without hitting a Santa Cruz

To answer IAB's question, I have no idea what the ETSX50 runs, but I'm sure RockyM will tell you the retail and delivery date if you give them a call.
I also forgot to mention the Titus LocoMoto, which is probably my first choice for the type of bikes you're looking at. Single pivot, low/active pivot point, light-weight, good company, fairly cheap (~$1200 I think)... If it fits, that would be a great choice.
Actually, we are on the East Coast.....

and as for the Titus - there is only 1 dealer within driving distance and he's having trouble stocking them because of the recall. We could try them again though.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk

Actually, we are on the East Coast.....

and as for the Titus - there is only 1 dealer within driving distance and he's having trouble stocking them because of the recall. We could try them again though.
Oh yes, WOOHOO TITUS! :D :p

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...

I do know of a shop that would be able to help out IAB. And yeah, I think Superlights and Bullits are the NorthEast poster bikes...oh yeah, and FSRs!

IAB, I'll check witgh Scoot, but I know he was checking out Hecklers before he got the Switch at a shop up near Groton CT (?).

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk

....so hook us up!
How are you even gonna be able to test ride one if there isn't a dealer around? Plus, there is still a bit of a wait probably for Loco's. Too many people want them.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...

I hear there are some decent ride spots in Groton. Check out that book we bought.
Bluff Point is up there, but its just rolling flat trail. If you're that far up, just bump over Arcadia natl. Forest....sick tech riding there!

What'd you think of that Loco we saw in Chester the other day? It was kinda weird looking to me...could have been the set up, but it looked ungainly. I'd love to try one out.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England

What'd you think of that Loco we saw in Chester the other day? It was kinda weird looking to me...could have been the set up, but it looked ungainly. I'd love to try one out.
I didn't get a very good look at it. I was too busy sucking wind. :p It was weird just seeing a Titus on the trails.