Quantcast

Intense is looking better

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Check out their site, this looks like a YUGE move for them. My only onboard experience with Intense is riding a Primer for a couple days in Colorado earlier this year and that bike friggin ripped. Couple that with the availability of a different link to run it at 140mm rear travel and it is absolutely on my list of 2018 bike contenders. Now this. Hooray.

Frame only options available too, nice!

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/intense-announces-lower-retail-prices-and-hybrid-direct-to-customer-sales-model.html

https://intensecycles.com/

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Check out their site, this looks like a YUGE move for them. My only onboard experience with Intense is riding a Primer for a couple days in Colorado earlier this year and that bike friggin ripped. Couple that with the availability of a different link to run it at 140mm rear travel and it is absolutely on my list of 2018 bike contenders. Now this. Hooray.

Frame only options available too, nice!

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/intense-announces-lower-retail-prices-and-hybrid-direct-to-customer-sales-model.html

https://intensecycles.com/
Might want to change the title of the thread. After looking at that bike my eyes hurt.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Lol,I think that bike looks smokin hot...

But theres litterally no way in hell I would pay 10000dollars for a bike.
Don't worry, you'll now be able to purchase the bike at any time, now at the same price that they were already always listed for in the monthly PinkBike whats-on-sale articles.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I thought they started fixing that garbage. Yuck.

What will intense get up to next? First they moved production to china, then they fuck over their LBS with constant online sales, and now they're going direct to consumer to keep their own profit margins higher. HMMMM

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California

What will intense get up to next? First they moved production to china, then they fuck over their LBS with constant online sales, and now they're going direct to consumer to keep their own profit margins higher. HMMMM
They changed it on their longer travel bikes. It's called JS Enduro Tune or some shit like that. The JS Trail Tune is the inverted hammock up above.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

Same here but remember they are run by the guy who run CB during the height of their looks nice, doesn't work.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
I am no engineer (armchair or legit) but mansplain this to me. So once you get through about half of the travel on the JS Trail, you basically blow through the rest like wiping with wet toilet paper after a really bad (good) mexican dinner? It gets easier and easier to use more travel?

That sounds garbage. Hm. I'm telling you though that Primer I rode felt really good. I should try one again to confirm these suspicions.......

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
It's actually the opposite. You blow through the first half of the travel and then it ramps up.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
basically, and correct me if I'm wrong RMers, but an "n" shaped curve means you have to use a small of pressure to get it where it should be at sag, and then a lot of pressure to keep it from bottoming. Obviously, this is a problem, especially compounded by the effects of an air spring which is stiff at the top. So, in practical terms, you'll end up with either a bike that is stiff off the top and rides OK deep in its travel, or OK off the top but blows through the rest of its travel easily.

Ideally, a bike should have a progressive curve, which lets the bike settle comfortably into its travel and still resist bottoming/be playful mid travel. There are different iterations (evil is really progressive off the top, some of the DW links are flat in the middle) that work better with certain kinds of shocks.

One thing you can do, if your LBS has a good selection, is to walk around and try pressing on the bike to see how it moves into travel. I don't have experience riding a VPP with an n curve, so I can't comment on trail, but I can tell you that simply trying this in a bike shop showed how stiff those bikes are settling into sag, especially compared to other bikes right next to them.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
basically, and correct me if I'm wrong RMers, but an "n" shaped curve means you have to use a small of pressure to get it where it should be at sag, and then a lot of pressure to keep it from bottoming. Obviously, this is a problem, especially compounded by the effects of an air spring which is stiff at the top. So, in practical terms, you'll end up with either a bike that is stiff off the top and rides OK deep in its travel, or OK off the top but blows through the rest of its travel easily.

Ideally, a bike should have a progressive curve, which lets the bike settle comfortably into its travel and still resist bottoming/be playful mid travel. There are different iterations (evil is really progressive off the top, some of the DW links are flat in the middle) that work better with certain kinds of shocks.

One thing you can do, if your LBS has a good selection, is to walk around and try pressing on the bike to see how it moves into travel. I don't have experience riding a VPP with an n curve, so I can't comment on trail, but I can tell you that simply trying this in a bike shop showed how stiff those bikes are settling into sag, especially compared to other bikes right next to them.
stiff off the top = good pedalling though.

:D

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
stiff off the top = good pedalling though.

:D
The thing is pedaling should be controled by anti squat/chain/axle movement not leverage ratio.

Basically you have to choose between constantly bottoming out or having no sensitivity so go back to 2008 and run a fox dhx air

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The thing is pedaling should be controled by anti squat/chain/axle movement not leverage ratio.

Basically you have to choose between constantly bottoming out or having no sensitivity so go back to 2008 and run a fox dhx air
But but but... 2008 was when I had my best times while mountain biking?! I had a Fox 36, a Specialized Enduro (the one with replaceable chainstays), and a DHX Air 5.0. How could it be that bikes were so terrible back then if I had so much fun on them?! (and I was quicker than my buddies at the time... it probably didn't have anything to do with the fact they all had young kids, and I was single and biking every day. It must have been all about the bike).

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ

or 2006. with a crippled and 'unique' sized dhx air. thanks specialized.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
That video of the dude wrecking his Tracer makes me laugh. I think the in the pinkbike comments there's someone saying this dude cased that jump a few times before. What do you expect?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
But but but... 2008 was when I had my best times while mountain biking?! I had a Fox 36, a Specialized Enduro (the one with replaceable chainstays), and a DHX Air 5.0. How could it be that bikes were so terrible back then if I had so much fun on them?! (and I was quicker than my buddies at the time... it probably didn't have anything to do with the fact they all had young kids, and I was single and biking every day. It must have been all about the bike).
Yeah I also glorify those years. My suspension worked like shit, my formula brakes were so reliable I had to jump over the bars at full speed since the alternative was a chasm of death in front of me and I had strange clipless pedals that didn't clip in half the time but I was thin, single and had no financial trouble. Damn now I know why people think fondly of communism in Poland