Quantcast

Intense M29? and yes, I just sold my Karpiel

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
During the pandemic I picked up an Evil Offering for trial riding. Fast forward to last Saturday, I went to Northstar. Riding my 2012 26" Armageddon, I was fighting it all day. Though I'd readjust after a few runs, but no such luck. The bike just felt to small and just not digging on the 26 thing. I'm kinda liking the 29er and the Intense M29 looks interesting. Anyone have any feedback on that bike?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Where have you been hiding????

I want to move to the m29...ive got a 951 now (LOVE IT) and a m9 (love it) ...but want to move up to a bigger cockpit , 29" wheels (for DH)....

Man I had a good time on my old Armageddon but yeah it's tight....

Sorry don't have input from having ridden one but given the chance here shortly I'd grab 1....they seem to have ticked the box on a couple areas I'd like modernized.

I mulleted both my bikes and love it...I'd mullet the 29 as well...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Where have you been hiding????

I want to move to the m29...ive got a 951 now (LOVE IT) and a m9 (love it) ...but want to move up to a bigger cockpit , 29" wheels (for DH)....

Man I had a good time on my old Armageddon but yeah it's tight....

Sorry don't have input from having ridden one but given the chance here shortly I'd grab 1....they seem to have ticked the box on a couple areas I'd like modernized.

I mulleted both my bikes and love it...I'd mullet the 29 as well...
I’ve been lurking around. I thought about looking at a 27.5, but really starting to feel at home on a 29. I made the jump from 26-29 for my trail bike, by the end of my first ride was convinced this is the way to go. Mullet is a possibility too. Now to find the right bike. Hope all is well!

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Never ridden the M29 but I will say going from 26 to 29 will be a big change. You're going to like it: the speed and smashability is amazing!

I did find that on both of my bikes (SC Megatower and Kona Operator), I'll occasionally buzz my ass or the inside of my thigh with the rear wheel on steep stuff. But it's not bad and it doesn't cause me to crash or anything. In the end, I'm sticking with 29/29 and don't see any reason to change or go mullet.

Not sure why but Intense has short reach numbers. It's always been like that on their M-series which is why I liked my 951Evo more than the M9 that I made 27.5. My large Kona has 475 reach while the large M29 is 441 or something. For more or a direct comparison, the large V10 is 461.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Never ridden the M29 but I will say going from 26 to 29 will be a big change. You're going to like it: the speed and smashability is amazing!

I did find that on both of my bikes (SC Megatower and Kona Operator), I'll occasionally buzz my ass or the inside of my thigh with the rear wheel on steep stuff. But it's not bad and it doesn't cause me to crash or anything. In the end, I'm sticking with 29/29 and don't see any reason to change or go mullet.

Not sure why but Intense has short reach numbers. It's always been like that on their M-series which is why I liked my 951Evo more than the M9 that I made 27.5. My large Kona has 475 reach while the large M29 is 441 or something. For more or a direct comparison, the large V10 is 461.
That's what I've been seeing. I'm about 6' and the numbers of the XL seems to be on par with my large Offering.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
They changed a couple things from the early 2000 version to this one...the newest one he's making looks good....wonder what he's charging and numbers ..

View attachment 162983
Both the newer Disco & Armageddon were 9" of travel. The newer versions feels a little more compact, however pedals/corners better than the original ones. Not as plush as the old Army. My 04 Army was my all time fav!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Both the newer Disco & Armageddon were 9" of travel. The newer versions feels a little more compact, however pedals/corners better than the original ones. Not as plush as the old Army. My 04 Army was my all time fav!
Love the looks of your bike...something about those were cool like a superco, original fatty fat, BMW, honda rn01.some pretty cool badass rides came out back then

Yeah loved that bike I do remember it cornering steep...it was compact as well I think it was close to my medium bullet and it in furthest position....

Always wanted the newer one when he came back, will white was all about karpiel...when he was really young he said he would ride for Jan at some.point...

The new one looks pretty cool...still want to see numbers on it..and leverage

I had to scuff the cams to keep em from rotating lol...worked perfect...

Last edited:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
That's what I've been seeing. I'm about 6' and the numbers of the XL seems to be on par with my large Offering.
Yep, XL looks about right. That's what I'd be getting at 5'10.5. The M29 is a fast looking bike for sure... any of the modern 29er DH bikes in the proper size will be a massive, awesome change for you.