Quantcast

Intense M3 pics (frames and built)

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
Thought I'd share a bit of the candy we've playing with down at the Downhill Zone. The fully built red one and the red frame on the wall were the very first frames released by Intense for retail sale. They were meant to be team bikes, but they weren't needed due to the unfortunate injuries suffered by David K and Sabrina.

The silver one belongs to Scott, one of the co-owners here at the DHZ. The reason its not fully built yet is that the M3 does not allow you to use old '02 XTR cranks. The spindle isn't wide enough to clear the upper part of the swing arm. Shimano outboard cranks, Race Face x-type, and long ISIS bb's appear to be the options.

We also had a Titanium grey one come in, but the customer picked it up before I could snap a picture.

Enjoy!

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
The red frame and Scott's silver bullet.

The sticker kit on Scott's isn't stock. It came with red and carbon-looking details around the Intense writing. He stripped those and put on the "naked" sticker kit, which is available from Intense. We all though it looked much cleaner and allowed the true beauty of this frame to show through.

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
pugslybell said:
do you know if shimano saint rear hub will work with intense m3 in 150mm frame?
I don't think that the Saint is available in 150. However, the only difference between the 150 and 135 on the M3 are bolt on dropouts. You can change any frame to be either 150 or 135, simply by switching dropouts. It would be a good idea to have a set of both, incase you need to borrow a wheel.

Campy

Chimp
Oct 22, 2004
What about the rear axel. What kind of Axel did you use?

Also has anyone put a Evil chainguide on one yet? any issues?

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
What is it about that frame that makes me want to trade in my M1?

The silver bike is nice..... put a pair of the new WC Boxxers on there and it'll be even sexier and more silver.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Those bikes look awesome.

Anyone have any actual info on how they ride? I mean, I have been hearing about them for quite some time and seeing pics and such but I have not heard a single person talk about the actual ride and fit.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
These are a classic example of proper industrial design, the bike looks like it's moving even though it's sitting still. It must be fast too.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Zoso said:
The silver one belongs to Scott, one of the co-owners here at the DHZ. The reason its not fully built yet is that the M3 does not allow you to use old '02 XTR cranks. The spindle isn't wide enough to clear the upper part of the swing arm. Shimano outboard cranks, Race Face x-type, and long ISIS bb's appear to be the options.

Enjoy!

word from intense on that subject is that anything over 120mm spindle is recommended.
saint will work but requires lots of spacers underneath the bb cup, which means the cup has fewer threads engaging the frame.
xt will work though

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
That red M3 is sooooo nice. I just hope it lives to the expectations set by the M1.

May 1, 2005
Hey there - Love the red M3. How do the 888's go on it. I've got 888's and would love to upgrade to an M3. A bit worried about ride height though - how's it been going on that bike?

bigbirdie

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
CT
I have a med. M3 with a 888. I am using the flat crowns (top and bottom) from marzocchi and I have just enough stantion lenght to clamp on the top. running a king headset. no rides on it yet. waiting for a bb and a new rear wheel. I tried running a 135mm rear and a 118mm bb spindle but had major bad chainline, so I ordered a 150mm rear wheel and a 128mm bb which should take care of it. first ride on it will be this Sun May 8th at Plattekill!!! I can't wait to rip up some trails again!

May 1, 2005
bigbirdie said:
I have a med. M3 with a 888. I am using the flat crowns (top and bottom) from marzocchi and I have just enough stantion lenght to clamp on the top. running a king headset. no rides on it yet.
Dude - let me know how it goes.

TamaSKA

Chimp
Sep 26, 2003
London, UK
www.ridesaint.com -faq says:

10. SAINT offer a 150 mm rear hub spec and compatible crank set?
Not at this time. SAINT’s initial intent is to develop a component system that is compatible with the majority of existing bike specifications (135mm O.L.D).

BadFastard

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Belgium
jon-boy said:
What is it about that frame that makes me want to trade in my M1?
It's faster. heaps.

ah and has more stability through rough sections.

JRogers,
what would you like to know? I traded my M1 for a Medium M3. It made me forget my beloved M1 in no time.
M1 is and was a fantastic bike, but the M3 pedals better, corners faster, gives you heaps more confidence as it handles equally well but carries more stability over rough sections such as rock gardens. With the M3 I'm pedalling on sections where I was trying to hang on on the M1.
The VPP with the rearward arching axle path is a hit. Don't believe the hype: it's not just coz it has a rear triagle and 2 links that it'll blow you away. It's the wheel path. It jumps easily too.
It cost me a bit to trade the bike, but i'd do it again immediately.

Only drawback is that the rear triangle is built too wide. Makes for hard times trying to find cranks and a working chainline. Once it's dialed it's not so much of a problem, i don't hit my ankles on the chain/seatstays too often.

evolutionbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
Baltimore
Finished building it last week, have ridden a little and tweaked the suspension, a few short runs and some freeridish stuff. Works great so far.

SuPaFlY

Chimp
Jan 7, 2005
Toronto
pugslybell said:
There actually is a saint hub that is in 150mm spacing. I built up a wheelset for a buddy to ride on his vpx. hes running a full saint grouppo and the only issue we had to deal with at the shop was cutting off the derailleur hanger and removing some of the lip to the driveside hanger. Other than that its all good.

FastTimes

Monkey
Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
And a fine job you did Supafly! Has anyone found a solution other then busting out the dremel for proper fit of a Saint RD? Our fix worked like a charm but loping off the hanger is kinda serious, specially at $150 for replacement dropouts. FYI a washer still needed to be inserted on the non-drive side to ensure the axle tread would bottom out correctly on the RD. Intense need a set of droupouts that are flush on both the inside and the outside to make this work. A dedicated 12mm setup I guess.

Pce,

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
So how many of the rear triangles have broken so far?

I'm pretty interested in getting on an M3 for 2007, but if a lot of the rear ends have been breaking like my buddy tells me, that can't happen. I can't afford to buy a new one with a warranty.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Build is going slowly.....here's my frame.....brakes and rear wheel are back for warranty....

But here are some pretty frame pics......