Quantcast

Intense M3 vs. Morewood Izumu

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Rode my Izumu all last season. Love the bike, but she's a bit hefty and likes to let the back end jack up on square bumps.

I have a line on a pretty good deal on a new M3, but I've never thrown my fat over one to see what I'd think of it.

Anyone have time on both these bikes that can give me a line of thought on the whole subject.

I am not a finesse rider, I tend to point and plow, which sort of kills the idea of a SOCOM for me. My jumping could use some work, but it also feels a lot like the Morewood would rather suck up the jump then launch. It drops like a sex star, but it could be better in the air.

Any advice, as always, is appreciated.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Love the bike, but she's a bit hefty
feels a lot like the Morewood would rather suck up the jump then launch. It drops like a sex star, but it could be better in the air.
What build do you have on the Izimu? Those bikes build up incredibly light very easily...

It is a full squish bike, of course it's gonna suck some of the jump up. They get airborne quite easily, at least in my experience.

A bike that plows like an M3 probably wont jump as easily as a singlepivot which are snappier bikes. Izumis build really light as Beast pointed out. Sounds like you want to run over stuff, an M3 will do that better than a single pivot.

In my experience, the M3 or M6 wont jump like a freeride bike, its not supposed to its a race bike. But with practice and time on the bike, you can pop lips on any bike out there. Any real race bike would rather squash a jump than pop it just due to suspension set up.

My $.02

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I can only speak to the M3 but in general i love a good single pivot.
The internet 'plow bike' designation of the M3 i never understood.
M3 is extremely manueverable....

Pros of the M3-
-low
-bike has alot of weight low (shock, armor on downtube)
-lightish (to me)
-glued in corners
-quick precise handling, goes where your nose goes.
-the cock pit feels 100% DH-minded, well designed.
-very durable (from everything i have seen).
-good resale value

Cons of the M3 -
-Where some bikes pin and drag rocks with the BB, the M3 seems to hook onto them and stop the bike, has tossed me a few times.
-glued in corners, sometimes to the point of feeling stuck.
-Climbs horribly, which probably isn't important to you.
-Has alot of bearings to maintain.
-ISCG tabs could be stouter and thicker.

Neither Pro nor Con
-Back of the bike feels very very short (preference thing)
-Makes weird cool noises when descending.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
i went from a trek session 77 to a socom last year. I felt like i could float over rocks and roots better on the socom. Could rail turns, and just flet plain fast. Jumping/drops were strange for a long time on the socom. It felt like the front end was dropping faster than normal. I had to load the suspension diffrently. Overall i felt a lot faster and more confidence on the socom than the session. This could be due to the geo changes that i had or the suspension set up, i think it was more due to the suspension.

That probally didnt help, but meh.

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
Rode my Izumu all last season. Love the bike, but she's a bit hefty and likes to let the back end jack up on square bumps.

I have a line on a pretty good deal on a new M3, but I've never thrown my fat over one to see what I'd think of it.

Anyone have time on both these bikes that can give me a line of thought on the whole subject.

I am not a finesse rider, I tend to point and plow, which sort of kills the idea of a SOCOM for me. My jumping could use some work, but it also feels a lot like the Morewood would rather suck up the jump then launch. It drops like a sex star, but it could be better in the air.

Any advice, as always, is appreciated.
I've spent time on an Izimu and an M3. No doubt, the M3 plows better but it's more hefty and doesn't jump as well.

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Right now my set up is as follows:
2007 Izumu in Small
Fox DHX with a 550lb spring
Marzocchi 888 WC with big boy ti springs
Deemax wheels (being traded out for some kings laced to some 823's)
Saint cranks
Maxxis tires
Magura Gustavs (boy do they work)

I love the bike, but the rear end jacks up on square rock bumps easily. I noticed this the first time I rode it down stairs, and my opinion hasn't changed much since then. I would like it if it jumped more betterer, but if the Izumu is the better of two evils, that just saves me money.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Right now my set up is as follows:
2007 Izumu in Small
Fox DHX with a 550lb spring
Marzocchi 888 WC with big boy ti springs
Deemax wheels (being traded out for some kings laced to some 823's)
Saint cranks
Maxxis tires
Magura Gustavs (boy do they work)

I love the bike, but the rear end jacks up on square rock bumps easily. I noticed this the first time I rode it down stairs, and my opinion hasn't changed much since then. I would like it if it jumped more betterer, but if the Izumu is the better of two evils, that just saves me money.
I would first get a better rear shock. You will find you will like the ride much better. I would look into a Cane Creek DB or RS Vivid. Maybe a Roco too. They will be a much better rear shock for a SP design like the Izumu. I ran a 06 Izumu in 06 and felt the same way you did. I then got a Giant Glory. Much more of a Plow bike. It wasn't as lively as the Izumu. I had my problems with the Glory too. I desided to go back to Morewood for 08. Reasons why, the newer designs in 07 didn't have the same problems the 06s did. Plus the 07 with the right rear shock that was setup right was like having a MP design but with the benefits of a SP. Plus the support they give is the best in the Industry. Try the rear shock first.

My 2 cents, take it the way you want too. Many will tell you different because they ether don't like SP or have never riden one setup right.

Good luck man!!!!

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
If your Izimu is feeling "hefty" you can definitely lower your weight. There was a kid who recently got an Izimu down to 36 lbs but that was with a box wc, deemaxs on i9s and a dhx air (hes actually changed some parts and its still at 38 lbs) I ride the shova lt with a 400 lb spring and freeride on it. it does just fine on all the jumps i hit too. The bike is all about how you adjust it so i dont think i would go through the hassle of swapping bikes, just adjust it better.

Oct 8, 2003
FCLinder- do you have your new Morewood yet? Have you ridden it? What rear shock do you have?

I had an 06 Morewood and I loved it 90% of the time but sometimes in rough stuff the thing would just not track for me. I had a DHX shock on it also. I'm on the lighter side at 160 and I am a flow rider not a plower so I am thinking of getting one for this year. I do like SP bikes but what I like about bikes like the Turner is the linkage that gives it that feeling like it is ramping up. What makes the 07/08 so much better? Is there a lot less chain growth? That was the other problem I had was pedal feedback.

Sorry to steal the thread.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
I would first get a better rear shock. You will find you will like the ride much better. I would look into a Cane Creek DB or RS Vivid. Maybe a Roco too. They will be a much better rear shock for a SP design like the Izumu. I ran a 06 Izumu in 06 and felt the same way you did. I then got a Giant Glory. Much more of a Plow bike. It wasn't as lively as the Izumu. I had my problems with the Glory too. I desided to go back to Morewood for 08. Reasons why, the newer designs in 07 didn't have the same problems the 06s did. Plus the 07 with the right rear shock that was setup right was like having a MP design but with the benefits of a SP. Plus the support they give is the best in the Industry. Try the rear shock first.

My 2 cents, take it the way you want too. Many will tell you different because they ether don't like SP or have never riden one setup right.

Good luck man!!!!
Keep in mind, the 2006 had a higher leverage ratio than the 2007 and 2008. If you have one of the older models a more sophisticated shock such as the Double Barrell might be a good option to change the feel of your bike. However if you're on the newer model, the DHX setup correctly will be all you should ever need to enjoy the ride. Try some different suspension settings if thats the case (in either situation.)

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Once the snow melts I am going to dick around with it some more. Currently I need to find a new rear tire and save up for some new wheels.

I think my gun collection is getting in the way of my DH time, so I am going to unbolt the front end, send it to Zocchi, have the DHX visit push, and try to save some scratch for getting to races.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
On my 06 Izimu I ran a DB with a 450# spring and I haven't felt a bike that tracked better.

I agree with everyone that if you think the Izimu is a bit lethargic, then you might look at your build and see what you can change. Those bike track really well and jump great if setup properly.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Keep in mind, the 2006 had a higher leverage ratio than the 2007 and 2008. If you have one of the older models a more sophisticated shock such as the Double Barrell might be a good option to change the feel of your bike. However if you're on the newer model, the DHX setup correctly will be all you should ever need to enjoy the ride. Try some different suspension settings if thats the case (in either situation.)
Here you go. I am running a 07 Shova Lt with a Vivid 5.1 and RS Totem. I wanted to try out a 7X7 bike this coming year.

Link:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190708&highlight=Shova+Review

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
I need to raise some cash.

On the issue of a DB, is there a max spring weight that it can take? I am down to 215 this morning from the 260 I started on last year, but I still think I am going to need a 500# or 550# spring.

Any other weight suggestions you'd make?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
My experience with the DB is that I ran 40-45% sag. If you get off the brakes and allow the bike and shock to work, the DB makes the bike track extremely well. The more spring you add the less the DB can work effectively. Of course there is a point at which you go too light on the spring and then you will suffer from not enough stored energy to return the shaft.

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
So if I am pushing $2.15, then how much spring do you think I am going to need?

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I am down to 215 this morning from the 260 I started on last year
Great job on the weight loss :thumb:
Keep that up.
Launching 190 is easier than launching 260.
Just reExamine your current setup. (spring weight, oil etc.)
You got some nice gear.
Save your money.
Sounds like your overthinking it a bit.

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
I was just having some issues with the bike last season that I would like to dial out this year. I did pretty well on it, ended up winning a couple races, ran it hard, I was very pleased.

I just want to iron out some kinks this year, fix what needs to be fixed, get ready for a much longer season in 2008. Last year I did 16 races, this season I am trying to push for 30 since the season starts much earlier on the west coast then it did on the other side of the Rockies.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
So if I am pushing $2.15, then how much spring do you think I am going to need?
Well, if your DHX spring is indeed correct at 550, then you are going to need either a 500 or a 450 with your double barrel. I would try a 450 first, and I bet if you get to 190, you are going to want to go lighter than that.

mfzbike

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Precious painville
just experiment....steel springs are cheap in relation to DB shock itself...
i weigh around 175 and was running a 250lb spring on my izimu and had actually started with a 350lb and couldn't get the bike to feel the way i wanted it. so i just kept going down on the spring....

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
I see me tapping out right around 200 for the season. Its getting hard to get any ride time this time of year in the Sierras as it just keeps snowing.

I will contact Morewood and see how bad the sodomy on a DB is going to be.

Thanks for the help/encouragement guys.