Quantcast

Intense M6 - Build question (headset)

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I'm picking up a new (to me) Intense M6 frame. I plan on swapping over my current 888... quick question though. I currently have the flush-mount (no drop) top crown, so would I be better off with a traditional (vs Zero-stack) lower headset? I don't want to have the front end too high, but not too low either.

For additional info, I am NOT going to use this as a race bike. I'm a recreational DH'r who rides:
  • Local "Laguna" DH trails like Telonics and two others "that will not be mentioned".
  • Maybe two Bootleg trips per year
  • 2-3 Mammoth trips
  • 1 Northstar
  • Whistler once every 2-3 years.

Style wise, I'm more of a P&S (point and shoot) or "bash" rider, not a flickable "light" rider.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
measure your frame's head tube and the forks's steerer tube, see how much extra you have. You also can get ext lower and zero upper or opposite. Cane creek and fsa are selling headsets sepperate upper and lower. with all the different head tubes and steerer tubes it makes sense and is cheaper for shops to have everything in stock.

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
On my medium, I ran the e.Thirteen reducer cups and they worked well. If you're not using a drop crown, I'd say zero-stack is the way to go. With the length of the headtube on the M6, even with a zero-stack won't put your bars too low, unless you're running flat bars.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
On my medium, I ran the e.Thirteen reducer cups and they worked well. If you're not using a drop crown, I'd say zero-stack is the way to go. With the length of the headtube on the M6, even with a zero-stack won't put your bars too low, unless you're running flat bars.

Oh... you know what? I was about to say that you had it backwards, but really I'm looking at this backwards. I'm only thinking of a single-crown where the top makes no difference. It is all bottom stack height.

Ok, lemme visualize this.

With a flat crown:
If I use a zerostack top that will LOWER the top crown and (if the legs are fully extended) Raise/lengthen the front.

If I use a traditional top then it will RAISE the fork stanchions compared to the head-tube and lower the overall front end.

So a zerostack top will put me somewhere near where a drop-crown/traidional headset would be. Ok, got it....

And then the lower crown/headset really only lengthens the distance between the crowns.