Quantcast

Intense M9-FRO

Ridemonkey.com

News & Reviews
Jun 26, 2009
Intense-M9lead.jpg
The Intense M9-FRO pretty much needs no introduction at this point. It's become a fan favourite amongst just about anyone who follows the World Cup, and it rides like a mythical creature on speed. Check out Brice Minnigh's thoughts on the M-9 FRO inside...
---

By: Brice Minnigh
Intense M9-FRO - $3,150 (frame with Cane Creek Double Barrel shock)
Courtesy of Bike Magazine

When we first began riding this blood-red Intense M9-FRO almost a year ago, we were so blown away by its penchant for pure speed that we likened it to Slayer and Sepultura: Fast, uncompromising and relentless. After several months—and many blistering shuttle runs—we stand by our comparison to these speed metal stalwarts. And just as lush bar-chord progressions become more deeply etched into one’s brain with each rendition of a Slayer tune, our increasing familiarity with the M9’s steamrolling characteristics have made swinging a leg over it feel like the opening riffs to “Angel of Death”—it starts fast and never lets up.

This rig accelerates so quickly, in fact, that it continuously forced some of us to ride well beyond our comfort zones, using velocity and sheer aggression to plow down the hill with pure contempt for line choice. The formula is simple: Point the bike downhill and shoot. When confronted with a formidable obstacle—a minefield of baby heads, roots or a series of scary drops—the correct course of action is to blast straight through it all. This took a short period of adjustment for our more cautious riders, but each blazing run instilled us with greater confidence, and slower descenders found themselves narrowing the gap on their much-faster friends.

Intense-M9.jpeg

None of this should come as a surprise: The M9-FRO is the latest in Jeff Steber’s venerated line of downhill race steeds, and it was designed with the sole purpose of getting racers down the mountain as fast as humanly possible. While World Cup-level DH riders stand to benefit most from the M9, it also rewards recreational gravity junkies by routinely saving their asses when they make ridiculous line choices.

The hand-built, made-in-the-USA frame is extremely adjustable, giving multiple options for chainstay length, rear travel and head angle. The headtube is designed for use with the Cane Creek AngleSet, which allows for half-degree adjustments from 62.5 to 65.5 degrees. These adjustments are easily made, thanks to a built-in, single-bolt headset clamp at the top of the headtube. The three degrees of adjustability give the M9 multiple personalities, making it the downhill race rig for all occasions, from the steepest of courses to tracks that require more pedaling.

The bike’s plow-through-everything personality means that it is less nimble and maneuverable than some of the other machines reviewed in this issue, and this is noticeable on extended pedaling sections and in tight switchbacks. For riders who emphasize style or spend considerable time in the air, the M9 might not be the ideal choice. But if unchecked speed is your top priority, you’d be hard pressed to find a better option.

[fblike]http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247431&p=3732320#post3732320[/fblike]

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The bike’s plow-through-everything personality means that it is less nimble and maneuverable than some of the other machines reviewed in this issue, and this is noticeable on extended pedaling sections and in tight switchbacks. For riders who emphasize style or spend considerable time in the air, the M9 might not be the ideal choice. But if unchecked speed is your top priority, you’d be hard pressed to find a better option.
couldnt disagree more

Dwdrums00

Monkey
Mar 31, 2007
This is kind of strange, but for the second time today I agree with IH8Rice!
In regards to your closing paragraph, it almost seems like you are reviewing the intense M6 and not the M9.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Even if I had no idea where Intense was or what an M9 is, somehow I'd guess it was an American bike. Showing up at a race here with it was like showing up at a knife fight shirtless with an M60 machine gun. The overkill is just glorious. I loved that thing!

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Which other bikes are we talking about here?

Klaufi

Chimp
Jun 4, 2011
Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like someone needed to fiddle with the shock and fork a bit..
Maybe even work around some of the other adjustments.

Oh and btw, comparing a M9 to a TR250..?:rolleyes:

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
This is kind of strange, but for the second time today I agree with IH8Rice!
In regards to your closing paragraph, it almost seems like you are reviewing the intense M6 and not the M9.
Why does it seem accepted that the M6 is not a good jump bike? I have no problem jumping mine. Its a blast on Missing Link and Power Line at Snowshoe. But I have like 12 years of BMX experience.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
But I have like 12 years of BMX experience.
Thats key right there. Every DH sled I have ridden has been pretty easy to get up into the air. But I can actually bunny hop the bike not clipped in and I know a lot of people depend on being clipped to move the bikes around.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I agree, I've never ridden a bike that felt difficult to jump and you couldn't get if off the air. You're either riding like a little girl at 3mph, or you're doing something wrong. Maybe everybody else in the world jumps bikes differently then me, but the jedi, v10, m6, and old style glory that I've ridden were no more difficult to jump and throw around then the session I own or the demo. Weight and wheels definitely play in here, and some suspension tunes are slightly more poppy then others, but what is everybody doing differently then me that they have problems or feel like a bike falls short on jumping?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I love the contrarian bandwagon but some bikes just do jump a bit worse. Especially the rearward ones. Yes you can still jump them unless your feet are made from pasta but a progressive bike that is not very rearward has allways been more popable in my opinion. And in popable I don't mean it can go into air but it's easier to pick up on the trail, especially on flat ground with nothing to boost from.

SCARY

Not long enough
I don't understand with a bike with as many adjustments as this one ,how you can derive a sunburns conclusion.Has anyone played with the extremes of the adjustments?It's crazy how different 1 bike can feel.But they really were in the right place with all there middle settings.I end up tweaking some of the middle stuff,but with short stays.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I love the contrarian bandwagon but some bikes just do jump a bit worse. Especially the rearward ones. Yes you can still jump them unless your feet are made from pasta but a progressive bike that is not very rearward has allways been more popable in my opinion. And in popable I don't mean it can go into air but it's easier to pick up on the trail, especially on flat ground with nothing to boost from.

I am usually suspect of reviews. 90% of the time you have little to no clue of the riders ability. So having a rider that runs around on a 18LB Ti Merlin trail bike tell me a 9" bike is hard to get off the ground can be suspect. But you are right they do vary in abilities to hop and so on. But getting a bike to be poppy means you are more than likely giving up other aspects. But I have had about 16 DH bikes in the last 12 years......so I am comfortable on anything.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I am usually suspect of reviews. 90% of the time you have little to no clue of the riders ability. So having a rider that runs around on a 18LB Ti Merlin trail bike tell me a 9" bike is hard to get off the ground can be suspect. But you are right they do vary in abilities to hop and so on. But getting a bike to be poppy means you are more than likely giving up other aspects. But I have had about 16 DH bikes in the last 12 years......so I am comfortable on anything.
I agree 100%. That's why I prefer user reviews on RM or other forums because I can bug the people about their previous bikes. I also agree that a poppy bike takes away from other aspects. I prefer bikes that can take stupid lines over the ones that feel they are easier to pop. Though that varies from track to track. Probably if my currency stays on a stupid low levels I will ride more local tracks that would be better on something shorter and more lively.

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
I agree, I've never ridden a bike that felt difficult to jump and you couldn't get if off the air. You're either riding like a little girl at 3mph, or you're doing something wrong.

but what is everybody doing differently then me that they have problems or feel like a bike falls short on jumping?
lack of a biking background. folks that start riding bikes in the 20's have a harder time flinging a bike around than someone that's been on some sort of 2 wheels since they were a kid.

i've been riding dirt bikes since i was 4 (23 now), and just started DH'ing 9 months ago. the thing i noticed is there are some guys faster than me due to experience, but they look and feel awkard in the air jumping and maneuvering the bike themselves, where as i can lay the bike over, whip hard and toss it around in the air very comfortably. those type of motor skills are hard to develop if not at an early age.

for me, jumping a 35lb bike, is jumping a 35lb bike. i toss/jump my friend's 42-45lb banshee chaparral as well as my more nimble voltage. just very dependent on rider's background experience, imo.