• IH Sunday -1.5

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • IH Sunday -2.0

Votes: 5 13.2%

• Total voters

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Materials have been ordered now and we are shortly due to give the go-ahead for 2 batches (initially) of 1.5 - 1 1/8" angled reducer cups to fit the Intense Socom & Iron Horse Sunday frames - as soon as we are decided on the geometry we require they will start production.

Our own judgement has led us towards 2 degree 'slacker' dfor the Socom and 1 degree 'slacker' for the IH Sunday.

However, this is our opinion and may not be that of the majority and due to us only being able to make one batch for each frame initially we would like to know what you guys would like.

Please add your answers to the poll, and post any comments you have.

The cups will be sold on their own or complete with the Cane Creek IS2 Integrated headset - Hopefully we should have them ready by around the end of the month.

Thanks, Rick

Last edited:

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
They are cups - Im sure sundays dont have replacable dropouts too, thanks for noticing the typo Kanter - its been a long day. :busted:

Last edited:

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I'm a bit confused as to why you want a slacker HA on a Sunday.
Isn't it already 64deg? I always thought Sundays were slack enough.
Is this true or do you mean that these cups are for the 7point frames?

The Intense Socom now has a 65.5HA and with the New dropouts that Intense CNC is making it lowers the BB and slacks the HA by 1deg.

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Many have requested a 1 degree or so slacker sunday.

Also, many want a slacker socom but the socoms bb is already quite low and the dropouts lower it further, the offset cups wont lower the bb to such a degree - there are lots of people who dont have the newer slacker socom too and may not find 1 degree enough based on the old 66deg ha.

These will also be FAR cheaper than replacable dropouts.
Rick

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
So you are designing a pair of cups to do this correctly? I would assume they are symetric top and bottom? Press fit or drop in bearing?

What are prices going to look like? I have been working on trying to get some made for myself for a month now....but if they can be purchased at a reasonable price, I would most likely go that route.

Sunday pretty much sits at 65*. I think one degree would be good (that is what I drew up).

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Yes, it will be done with a pair of cups - not just one.

Press fit bearing - the Cane Creek IS2 will be offered pre-pressed into the cups.

One degree was our initial thoughts with regards to the sunday.

No pictures at the moment im afraid - we only have one set made so far used to make sure everything is correct and that fitment / tolerances are spot on - there in a socom right now - there isnt much to see though really.

Pricing is looking to be around £34.99 for cups alone and £59.99 inc the Cane Creek IS2 - This may change depending upon exact costs up or maybe down.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'm a bit confused as to why you want a slacker HA on a Sunday.
Isn't it already 64deg? I always thought Sundays were slack enough.
The Sunday has a 65deg HA. I voted for the 1deg cups. I am on a Sunday for the 4th year in a row and I'd love to try slacking it out a little.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I voted -0.5 as that's what I'd prefer for the Sunday (too much slacker and the BB will get too low I feel). Would definitely buy a pair.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Yes, it will be done with a pair of cups - not just one.

Press fit bearing - the Cane Creek IS2 will be offered pre-pressed into the cups.

One degree was our initial thoughts with regards to the sunday.

No pictures at the moment im afraid - we only have one set made so far used to make sure everything is correct and that fitment / tolerances are spot on - there in a socom right now - there isnt much to see though really.

Pricing is looking to be around £34.99 for cups alone and £59.99 inc the Cane Creek IS2 - This may change depending upon exact costs up or maybe down.

Any thoughts about putting cutouts in the bearing seats so as to be able to get a bearing back out?

Either way, for that price, and with the difficulty I am having getting these made locally, I would definately take a set of cups. Any way to get on some sort of list so as to be sure to get a pair?

Sov

Chimp
Jan 1, 2008
Adelaide, Australia
Are you going to make sets for different sized Sundays and Socoms which assumedly have different headtube lengths? Or is the difference in angles vs headtube length pretty much negligible? I'm wondering if these will work in the 1.5" headtube of my 06 DHR. What length headtubes are you designing for?

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
great well done.... I will try a set... defo

, I voted -2 for the socom,
How will you set the cups in the headtube? ie stop them from turning and upsetting the angle, will they be glued to the headtube?

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Ill setup a list for people who are interested - just PM me to go on it though the batch had to be fairly large or the machine shop considers it to be a waste of setup time.

Yes, we are planning on cutouts for bearing removal - another reason costs could be slightly different.

Do you mean stop the cup from turning during installation? - I couldnt envisage it turning when pressed into the headtube.

The sunday is 127mm ht length for all sizes i believe, the socom uses the same size for medium and large so this is what will be initially made.

Rick

Last edited:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Are you going to make sets for different sized Sundays and Socoms which assumedly have different headtube lengths? Or is the difference in angles vs headtube length pretty much negligible? I'm wondering if these will work in the 1.5" headtube of my 06 DHR. What length headtubes are you designing for?
I have drawn up some and have been trying to get someone local to make me a few pair. I designed mine to fit a 127mm head tube. When the same cups are set in a 147mm head tube....the bearing seats are off a whopping 0.0155 of a degree...I am pretty sure that a freshly faced head tube is out more than sixteen thousands of a degree.

Last edited:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
great well done.... I will try a set... defo

, I voted -2 for the socom,
How will you set the cups in the headtube? ie stop them from turning and upsetting the angle, will they be glued to the headtube?
They are press fit like any headset. No way for them to turn in the headset once installed.

On the ones I drew, I put a small milled line front to back on the top surface in the exact plane of the offset angle. You just need to line this line up with the front/back direction of your bike. A straight line (tape measure, string, etc) from the seat tube center or bb center will find the correct alignment direction.

They might be off by a degree or so it you are not super anal...but again the bearing seats will only end up being off by a few thousands of a degree.

IMO new headset bearings once a year (assuming more wear due to micro-misalignment if there is any) is a very small price.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I just bought the Slacker dropouts for my Socom, but these still sound interesting... I'd be down to a 62-62.5° head angle, couple more inches of wheelbase, about 40" high bars, and sub 14" bottom bracket. It'd be a World Cup ripper for sure if only I could push it that hard.

Last edited:

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Hmm. My Session10 uses a 127mm headtube as well. I've been running the dropouts in the slackest headangle/lowest BB setting and the geo is great but with 10" of travel the bottom bracket sags too close to the ground.

I wouldn't mind having a 1.5* reducer so I can raise the BB a little.

josemi

Chimp
Dec 21, 2007
zaragoza
Very good news!
I will buy a pair for my Sunday.
I vote for the minus 1 degree.
Thank you for doing that,i waited for so long.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I just recently bought an iron horse sunday that I have a few days of riding on it. I think .5 degrees slacker would be nice, although I need more time on my setup before determining anything. I would sure like to try it out.

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
Ill setup a list for people who are interested - just PM me to go on it though the batch had to be fairly large or the machine shop considers it to be a waste of setup time.

Yes, we are planning on cutouts for bearing removal - another reason costs could be slightly different.

Do you mean stop the cup from turning during installation? - I couldnt envisage it turning when pressed into the headtube.

The sunday is 127mm ht length for all sizes i believe, the socom uses the same size for medium and large so this is what will be initially made.

Rick
well don on doing this....yeah one option instead of making a list is.. Get anyone who wants them, to send the money by paypal, they state what they want (2 degrees etc..) then you count up the number of orders for each one.. If there isnt enough orders you basically refund the amount trhough paypal. With paypal you have a 30 days to give a full refund with no charges....
that way you do not get any dead beats placing orders.....

only other thing I need to say is you will need to mark a notch for front and back on the inserts that would be handy....

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
For the sunday (127mm headtube) 1* was the decision and the suspected availability was around the end of the March..so now. Send them an e-mail through their web site if you want to be notified when they available.

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Popping down to the machineshop soon to see how they are getting on (or give them a kick up the proverbial) with them.

They have the material in stock, so once they start them they will be ready within the day - im hopefull within the next 5-7 days now.

Decided angles were -1deg sunday and -1.5 socom, the Socom HT (medium / small) is also only 2mm different in lenght to the Glory, so with a light face they will fit perfectly - they will fit and work without a face too with only slight bearing misalignment. (Read VERY slight)

K9Industries are also due to release their cups soon too, they will be -2deg socom and sunday, so there will be an option for everybody (we are nothing to do with k9)

Rick

Last edited:

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
This was posted today on SDH....

Cups are due to be finished on wednesday - 'blanks' are all cut but the machinist who has taken control of this particular job is off until then - then its just surface finishing so expect delivery dates VERY soon.

We have decided they are going to be as 'complete' a product as they can be and will be anodised black with nice lazer etched logos - they will also include 'holes' to aid bearing removal when they are worn out (just like the e13 - no need for a dremel)

They will be as well finished as any product of its type can be, we were initially going to let them go out without surface finishing but this would sell short the amount of work involved in getting these made.

We dont have the bearings / headset kit right now but will be offering that in the VERY near future.

The price may rise a little from what is advertised on the site but people that have already paid will get them for the price paid.

In the not-so-distant future we are planning to setup a facility online where we can offer one off / very small batches of cups for people with frames that are not as popular with delivery being within 5-10 days - they will be a little more expensive but will provide an option for everybody if they want this type of product.

Thanks, Rick

http://www.southerndownhill.com/forum/index.php/topic,189465.15.html

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I just ordered mine, thanks for the update monkeyfcuker, if someone could keep this thread updated that'd be great.

Whoops - what is the headtube length on the 7point? If it's fairly close to either the Sunday or Socom headtube length (+/- 10mm) it should work fine.

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Just an update for those interested.

Cups are being collected from the anodizer on friday morning - we will be shipping them out on monday / tuesday next week for those that have pre-ordered, they will anodized 'etched' black, which is almost a matte finish (not that you will see them once installed anyway)

We have checked and installed the production cups and everything is rosy and ready to go - pictures of them installed on a bike very soon.

Pricing is going up to £49.99 on Tuesday - pre order price will stay at £39.99 but after that they are going up.

Those that have pre-ordered will recieve an e-mail update in the next few days with exact dates for dispatch.

Cheers, Rick

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
A small update for those interested - These will be shipping out thursday / friday at the latest this week (Yesterday / today was a little optimistic so it turns out :rolleyes:

Just picked up a finished one from the batch today for a quick picture.

Those that have pre-ordered will recieve a dispatch e-mail from us when these are shipped including relevant tracking information if applicable.

Thanks, Rick

Last edited:

cubebiker

Chimp
Apr 9, 2008
Are those only usable on sundays and socoms? They should be usable on any bike that uses 1.5 reducer cups. Like the 951 Intense can, too. I ride a Supreme DH with 63° now and that is a great feeling. I'd like 63 on my 951, too. Should that work?

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
I believe they refere to those two frames due to the length of there head tube.The angles that each piece was milled to was based on that head tube length.

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
The socom cups were designed for 117.5mm headtubes so they would work just fine with the 120mm Demo.

Without doing an exact calculation your looking at very small numbers of deviation (something in the region of 0.25 of a deg and 0.23 of a mm, without being exact)

Is the Demo a 1.5ht though?

EDIT: realised you mean the demo 7

Rick