Quantcast

Intense SS2 and DBair?

coolusername

Chimp
May 3, 2011
I'm looking at upgrading the shock on my SS2 to an DBair and am wondering if anyone is using one already or a BOS? Emailed Cane Creek about whether the shock would fit the frame and got a reply saying it should be all good, they are just not sure about how the shock will work with the suspension as it was designed around a coil so I thought I ask if anyone out there is using one and what their thoughts are?
Cheers

Last edited:

trailbildr

Chimp
Aug 14, 2012
The DBAir has a progressive spring rate that is different from your linear coil spring. Here's the chart of the 3 air volumes and their spring rates from CC: http://www.canecreek.com/products/suspension/db-air/features

I would say that you are going to use less travel or sag further in to get your travel. It's the nature of the design of the air spring on that shock. If you want the bike to pedal more efficiently, go for it. If this is a park-only bike, I would go with the Vivid Air or stick with coil.

You asked them about the eye to eye and stroke to see if it would physically fit in the frame, and they said yes. I think them saying that they 'aren't sure' about how it would work with the suspension' is their way of saying caveat emptor.

You are changing a major function of your bike and it will feel different. I would suggest that it is going to be a big difference. What I can't tell you is if you like it or not. If you are a hack rider (casing jumps, landing to flat, crashing a lot) I would imagine that you won't like it. If you are a clean rider, at home anywhere you ride rocking steeze, I would say you might like it.

I hope this helps. If you are looking to drop weight, improve the ride or just buy a rad shock, you didn't mention it in your post. It would help if you mentioned why you are upgrading and what you hope to get out of it.

mk