Quantcast

Intense Tracer question

BULLIT_CN

Chimp
Oct 27, 2003
Hey Guys, I need your help and suggestions. I'm getting a new Tracer and I don't know what size should I get? I'm 5'9" high and my height falls between small and medium size acording to Intense;

Small 5'1" to 5"9"
Medium 5'9" to 6'1"

Also, what stem lenght should I get...Thanks a lot guys for your help....

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Go by top tube length. Presumably you like the fit of your current bike or you know what you don't like. The recommendations by the manufacturer are general giudlines only.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
A small Tracer is pretty small. I am 5'10" and I would ride a medium. Unless you have a small inseam (under 30") and short torso a small is not going to have a long enough top tube for a person your height. In other words you might feel like your riding a BMX bike instead of a XC bike on a small IMO. As far as the stem that depends on where you feel right on it. I would suggest you go to a shop with a fit machine or a Intense dealer and get sized for a Tracer. You may have to pay for a fitting but in my opinion you will end up with the frame that fits you. If you don't live near a good shop find a friend who can help you. I ride a 18" frame and use a 110mm based on the fact that I have a long torso. Most folks that I know my size use a 105mm stem. You see where I am going. Get help if you can so you don't have to live with a bike, get the bike you can love to ride because it fits you so well......Hope this helps....jdcamb

BULLIT_CN

Chimp
Oct 27, 2003
Thanks Buddy,

My intended use for my Tracer would be as a Trailbike since I don't race or maybe not this time. However, comparing to my present 2003 medium Bullit, its toptube lenght is 22.8" which I am comfortable right now, while the small Tracer has a toptube lenght of 23".
In this case, I am more inclined on the small size but I can't decide and this is the reason why I need others opinion.
Thanks guys for your suggestions...

E-Man

Chimp
Jun 26, 2002
Orange County, CA
Hey Bullit,

After a quick check on the Intense web site, a small Tracer has a TT length of 22", and the medium is 23". If your Bullit has a 22.8" TT, you may be better of with a medium Tracer.

Eric

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I would go medium. I am 5'10" w/ a logish torsoe, but even if I was shorter would still go medium. The M has a longer front section, which makes it noticably more stable than the small. Both have the same length rear ends. The front end of the S likes to wander on clibms (if you are on the tall side for the size). I have ridden both bikes. My old shop had a M and a S as demo's. One thing I would not do is ride a stem/bar combo that is too high. The Tracer front ends on the bikes build up kind of high and its very easy to build the front end up too tall.