Quantcast

Intense Uzzi VP

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
im looking at dumping my 2007 Uzzi VPX for the new Uzzi VP and running a air shock on it to get 6.5-7" of travel.

im liking the geometry on the new Uzzi for all around riding w/ a double chainring setup and my 36 Talas R

anyone have any seat time on the new Uzzi?

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Most anything on the market will be lower, slacker and (way) stiffer than a VPX, so anything will be an improvement. Not to dis y0ur biek, I had one myself and it is good at some things, like steep, rocky and techy stuff. I think the VP is a little pricey, the Reign X is about 1/2 the price.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Most anything on the market will be lower, slacker and (way) stiffer than a VPX, so anything will be an improvement. Not to dis y0ur biek, I had one myself and it is good at some things, like steep, rocky and techy stuff. I think the VP is a little pricey, the Reign X is about 1/2 the price.
its really not the best at some of the steeper stuff with the 150mm 36 i had on there. i did race DH on it, but riding again after a year off of it, im surprised i did. i didnt notice it not being stiff at all though, even at my size.

retail is expensive on it, but i wont be paying retail thankfully. i also dont know anyone i can get a Giant from while not paying retail.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Yeah, with a 150mm fork, it's pretty steep too. I ran a Boxxer Ride I'd convert to a Team for dh days, HA was ok but bb was pretty high, and it just felt short and tall. It's the rear triangle that has a lot of flex, I didn't notice it too much until I got a different bike. I notice it in tracking rough terrain and high speed stability, both of which weren't good on my VPX, part of that was the fork though...

If you can get a deal on the new VP, I think it's going to be a big improvement over the VPX in a lot of ways... modern geometry, stiffer rear end, less pedal feedback when climbing in granny. I'm not sure how heavy the VP is, a bike like the Tracer with a 36 would work well too, save a few pounds and be easier to climb on...

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
less pedal feedback when climbing in granny. I'm not sure how heavy the VP is, a bike like the Tracer with a 36 would work well too, save a few pounds and be easier to climb on...
climbing in the granny gear was a tough one thats for sure. my build was pretty heavy and it had a bit too much travel for the riding i want it for now.

im going to ride a Tracer VP soon to see how i like that one too

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Most anything on the market will be lower, slacker and (way) stiffer than a VPX, so anything will be an improvement.
All I can say is: slacker dropouts! :D

The air shock has the same i2i as the coil but less travel. Same static geo.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Not to deter you from buying an Uzzi, but modern 6" bikes are WAY more capable than most "freeride" bikes from a few years ago (old Uzzi included).

There is also less overlap between a 6" bike and your DH bike.

The bike I've been eyeing up for awhile now is a Tracer with a Talas/RC4 combo and an extender seatpost. I've seen a few setup like that around here and those things are DEADLY fast for a trailbike. The thing I like about the Tracer is that it has a pretty low BB (sub 13.5) without being too slack to ride slower/more techy trails. Seems like a great balance. I also like that if I go to race a Mega or Enduro DH, I can throw in a set of HA reducer cups and turn it into a very pedallable, very capable descending trailbike.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Not to deter you from buying an Uzzi, but modern 6" bikes are WAY more capable than most "freeride" bikes from a few years ago (old Uzzi included).

There is also less overlap between a 6" bike and your DH bike.

The bike I've been eyeing up for awhile now is a Tracer with a Talas/RC4 combo and an extender seatpost. I've seen a few setup like that around here and those things are DEADLY fast for a trailbike. The thing I like about the Tracer is that it has a pretty low BB (sub 13.5) without being too slack to ride slower/more techy trails. Seems like a great balance. I also like that if I go to race a Mega or Enduro DH, I can throw in a set of HA reducer cups and turn it into a very pedallable, very capable descending trailbike.
Tracer feels trailbike-ish, no matter how you set it up. Uzzi VP with air shocks feels mini DH bike-ish. Additionally you can adjust BB and HA for the different places you ride. Now a Tracer with G2 or G3 DOs would be another story.....

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I agree. I bought an '08 Trek Remedy that I thought was going to be my trail bike, and I'd keep the Uzzi (with Boxxer Team and Slacker dropouts) for DH. Well, after riding the Remedy I realized it WAS better going at going dh 90% of the time vs. the VPX and was 10 lbs lighter too. The VPX still had an advantage plowing rockgardens and on rollers, but not by much.

I sold the Uzzi and replaced it with a Session 88 DH. This bike makes the VPX seem inadequate in every way, it even climbs as well as the Uzzi did.

And I think you're right not buying the slacker dropouts, they are an improvement, but not worth it. I should have sold mine before I spent the $ on the drops.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
im looking for a bike that is like a mini-dh bike and trail bike all in one. i feel the 5.5-6" Tracer is more on the XC side more than the AM like the Uzzi, which is what im looking for. the slacker HT and longer wheelbase of the Uzzi is what is drawing me towards it more than the Tracer. When i ride the Tracer this weekend, im sure it will reaffirm my decision.

i have no doubt newer bikes will be better than my VPX. it was okay for the time, but is not making the cut now for me. plus 7.75" of travel is a bit much for AM/XC type riding which is why i want the air shock on the Uzzi VP

Tracer feels trailbike-ish, no matter how you set it up. Uzzi VP with air shocks feels mini DH bike-ish. Additionally you can adjust BB and HA for the different places you ride.
thats exactly what im looking for.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I agree. I bought an '08 Trek Remedy that I thought was going to be my trail bike, and I'd keep the Uzzi (with Boxxer Team and Slacker dropouts) for DH. Well, after riding the Remedy I realized it WAS better going at going dh 90% of the time vs. the VPX and was 10 lbs lighter too. The VPX still had an advantage plowing rockgardens and on rollers, but not by much.
You are saying a long legged XC bike is better at going downhill as a real freeride bike? Seriously?

I sold the Uzzi and replaced it with a Session 88 DH. This bike makes the VPX seem inadequate in every way, it even climbs as well as the Uzzi did.
Apples vs. oranges. A DH bike IS faster than the Uzzi but I doubt the Session climbs as good as the Uzzi. Just look at the seat angle, you are too far over the rear wheel on the Session. Unless you are climbing out of the saddle all the time which I doubt someone can do for 2 hrs +.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
You are saying a long legged XC bike is better at going downhill as a real freeride bike? Seriously?

Apples vs. oranges. A DH bike IS faster than the Uzzi but I doubt the Session climbs as good as the Uzzi. Just look at the seat angle, you are too far over the rear wheel on the Session. Unless you are climbing out of the saddle all the time which I doubt someone can do for 2 hrs +.

Yeah, the Remedy feels like a mini-Session going downhill. The HA and WB is close to the same as the vpx, but the Remedy is lower, stiffer, tracks better, is WAY more stable at high speed and corners WAY better. It surprised me more than anyone, I was planning on keeping the VPX, but there is just too much overlap.

As far as VPX vs. Session, the Session pedals with less bob and overall takes around the same amount of energy to get to the top of the hill. You can raise the saddle and pedal it (I have short inseam which helps) until it gets too steep for the gearing, then you have to stand. But if I have to pedal, I'll probably be on the Remedy. Going DH, it is def. apples vs. oranges. :D

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA

The VPX is an older bike. I'm not surprised his remedy feels better going down since trail bike geometry has changed a lot since the VPX came out.

What I don't understand is why you guys are comparing the performance of the Uzzi VPX as though it's the Uzzi VP.

For ripping downhills, I'd take a Remedy over a Uzzi VPX any day and I'd take a Uzzi vp over a remedy any day. It would just be more fun and I bet the uzzi vp would hold up a lot better to the abuse over time than a remedy.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
For ripping downhills, I'd take a Remedy over a Uzzi VPX any day and I'd take a Uzzi vp over a remedy any day. It would just be more fun and I bet the uzzi vp would hold up a lot better to the abuse over time than a remedy.
Just depends what you want and what you're riding. The VP is going to be heavier and harder to pedal uphill, and probably wouldn't be more fun than a 30 lb 6" bike like a Tracer or Remedy unless you're riding some really difficult trails, at which point I'd want a dh bike anyway. The only use I can see for a bike like the Uzzi is if it's your only bike, then the compromise makes sense, but it's a pretty big compromise for going up (vs. a 30 lb trail bike) and down (vs a real dh bike). When I had my VPX it was my only bike, but bike riding is a lot more fun with both a trail bike and a dh bike. If I had it to do over again, I would have 2 cheaper bikes rather than one nice fr bike that I ride everywhere.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The VPX is an older bike. I'm not surprised his remedy feels better going down since trail bike geometry has changed a lot since the VPX came out.
I have demo'd the Remedy and besides trailbike duties it can't touch the Uzzi IMO. What I don't get: in all other threads it is everything about HA and BB height. Why did this suddenly change?
According to the geo chart the Remedy sits at 13.9" BB and a 68° HA. The stock Uzzi has 14.5 and 67, with Slacker DOs it is 14 and 66-66.5. Because it has more travel it sits deeper in it's travel and so it is even lower/slacker.
The only drawback that the VPX has IMO is that the TT is on the short side.

The Remedy is more along the lines of the Tracer VP. For real downhill riding on rough and technical trails I would take the Uzzi VPX or the VP build with coil suspension, for AM use the Uzzi VP with air shocks.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Just depends what you want and what you're riding. The VP is going to be heavier and harder to pedal uphill, and probably wouldn't be more fun than a 30 lb 6" bike like a Tracer or Remedy unless you're riding some really difficult trails, at which point I'd want a dh bike anyway. The only use I can see for a bike like the Uzzi is if it's your only bike, then the compromise makes sense, but it's a pretty big compromise for going up (vs. a 30 lb trail bike) and down (vs a real dh bike). When I had my VPX it was my only bike, but bike riding is a lot more fun with both a trail bike and a dh bike. If I had it to do over again, I would have 2 cheaper bikes rather than one nice fr bike that I ride everywhere.
I've seen new uzzi's built up in the low 30's, not sure where remedy's compare there. I agree that the uzzi would be an awesome do it all bike and I also wouldn't be buying one for a trail bike since I have a DH bike and want something snappier than 6.5 or 7 inches of travel... On that front though, I also wouldn't buy a remedy.

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
I just got myself an Uzzi after being on a slopestyle for a year and a half. The Slopestyle was an amazing bike, and it did everything great. The new Uzzi is an equally capable bike, and I have to say I do like it a bit more than the SS. The adjustable geometry and adjustable travel is huge plus. I definitely wouldn't bother with an air shock though if I were you. The Uzzi will feel far better with a coil on it. I got it with the DHX 4.0, then upgraded to an RC4, keeping the DHX 4 as a backup. For the XC rides, I toss it into the 7" mode, and it pedals up the hill no problem. For DH rides, the 7.5" setting is awesome. It really does feel like a little DH bike. Currently I have the bike built up just under 34 lbs with a Lyrik Solo Air 170.

Overall, the Uzzi takes everything I loved about the SS, and improves on the most important aspects: adjustable geometry, 65 deg HA, and a bit more travel. My only complaint is the 14.2" BB height in the fully low/slack G3 setting. A fair bit higher than Intense's claimed 13.75". However, I have a set of custom dropouts coming that will eliminate that issue!

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i cant see myself ever buying a Trek. ive been a fan of the VPP system since the original Outland and still love it. i think a 6.5-7" bike (uzzi vp) would be perfect for the type of riding that i want to do. after hopping on the Tracer, i know its not the bike i want even from pedaling it around the parking lot.

I definitely wouldn't bother with an air shock though if I were you. The Uzzi will feel far better with a coil on it. I got it with the DHX 4.0, then upgraded to an RC4, keeping the DHX 4 as a backup. For the XC rides, I toss it into the 7" mode, and it pedals up the hill no problem. For DH rides, the 7.5" setting is awesome.
i would never buy another Fox coil after riding a RC4 for a year. plus, i want the shorter travel option that the air shock gives the bike.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
What I don't get: in all other threads it is everything about HA and BB height. Why did this suddenly change?
According to the geo chart the Remedy sits at 13.9" BB and a 68° HA. The stock Uzzi has 14.5 and 67, with Slacker DOs it is 14 and 66-66.5. Because it has more travel it sits deeper in it's travel and so it is even lower/slacker.
The only drawback that the VPX has IMO is that the TT is on the short side.
The slacker do's don't drop the bb nearly that much. Mine went from about 14.75 to about 14.5, drop was maybe 1/4".

The '08-'09 Remedys were 67 HA, mine measured out to 66.5. BB is just under 14, depends on tires tho.

2010 Remedys are specced with a Fox 32 and 68 HA to make room for the Scratch.

I agree the Remedy is a lot like the Tracer, they are very similar except the Tracer is about 1 deg steeper HA.

That's great that the new Uzzi VP can be built to the low 30's, the frame must not be too heavy. I'm sure a low 30 lb VP would be a lot of fun to ride.

Also, I'm not making any comments about sus or brand of bike, there are pros and cons to every sus type... just questioning whether a 7" fr bike is really the best choice if you already have a dh bike, thats all.

Last edited:

Dwdrums00

Monkey
Mar 31, 2007

What I don't understand is why you guys are comparing the performance of the Uzzi VPX as though it's the Uzzi VP.

I disagree 100% that a Remedy would DH better than a VPX. I have owned a VPX, socom, SS, M6, nomad and I have a Uzzi VP in the mail. The VPX was a VERY capable DH bike (for want it was), even with the 14.6" BB height. It wasn't very nimble on the downhill but it held it's lines very well.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
after hopping on the Tracer, i know its not the bike i want even from pedaling it around the parking lot.
That's what I thought about my Remedy (would only be good for xc-ish stuff), until I actually pointed it down some hairy trails...I've rode all of Keystone on my Remedy.

Take the Tracer for a ride on the dirt with a 160mm fork in 6"mode if you can. I know it feels like a small bike, but I'd bet it'll surprise you if you give it a chance. A friend of mine rides a Tracer for a trail bike, and he can ride it down pretty much anything. The quickness, agility and lightness of these new trailbikes make them a lot of fun to ride. But if you can build a Uzzi VP up in the low 30's that's going to make for a super fun bike too.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The slacker do's don't drop the bb nearly that much. Mine went from about 14.75 to about 14.5, drop was maybe 1/4".
The before/after geo measurements I posted are from my VPX with Maxxis 2.5 tires.

The '08-'09 Remedys were 67 HA, mine measured out to 66.5. BB is just under 14, depends on tires tho.

2010 Remedys are specced with a Fox 32 and 68 HA to make room for the Scratch.
Makes sense, I didn't check last years Remedy specs.

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
i've got pretty much the exact setup you're looking at...
36 Talas, DHX Air shock.... makes for a sturdy, do-anything rig.

with the 1.5 headtube and G3 dropouts plus the 2-position shock mounting, you can micro-adjust the bike to suit your preferences.

i take this thing on multi-hour group rides.. it'll climb anything and rip any line down hill.:thumb:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i've got pretty much the exact setup you're looking at...
36 Talas, DHX Air shock.... makes for a sturdy, do-anything rig.

with the 1.5 headtube and G3 dropouts plus the 2-position shock mounting, you can micro-adjust the bike to suit your preferences.

i take this thing on multi-hour group rides.. it'll climb anything and rip any line down hill.:thumb:
nice, got any pics of it? i havent seen too many pics of the bike with the air shock on it
what travel setting do you have the shock setup at?

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
I have it set in the longer travel setting... haven't tried the shorter.
G3 drops in the shortest setting.
works great for East Coast stuff.

Attachments

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
I replaced my 05 VPX with a new VP late last year. The new one is a huge improvement- totally worth it.

I spent 4 days on a rental Remedy in Utah last year, and can't for the life of me figure how anyone could think that bike descends as well as an Uzzi.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I replaced my 05 VPX with a new VP late last year. The new one is a huge improvement- totally worth it.

I spent 4 days on a rental Remedy in Utah last year, and can't for the life of me figure how anyone could think that bike descends as well as an Uzzi.
thanks, that what i was thinking. i didnt think the Remedy would descend as well, even just by looking at it

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
It's WAY better than my VPX. Stiffer, lower, tracks better, pedals better, more stable at speed, and corners far, far better. I had to modify the shock and buy a new damper for the fork to get it there, I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't get a rental set up just right. Anyway, it's only my opinion. You don't have to share it.

I haven't rode the new VP yet, it looks a lot better than the VPX on paper and the new rear triangle looks like a big improvement too.

Last edited: