Quantcast

interbike 04

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well I'll be in Vegas for a bachelor party the same week. I would love to go to interbike I just need to work on getting some fake credentials.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
I never understood why interbike is not an open show... I mean it is not like biking the biking public is so huge that that the convention center would be over-run...

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Leethal said:
I never understood why interbike is not an open show... I mean it is not like biking the biking public is so huge that that the convention center would be over-run...
Because it's for dealers, and things are discussed like dealer prices, etc. And if every Tom, Dick, and Harry could get in there, yes it would be overrun by bozos, and it would be impossible to get any work done. Because yes, beyond all the partying, schmoozing, riding, and schwag hunting, some people actually do go there to accomplish bike related business :p

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Echo said:
Because it's for dealers, and things are discussed like dealer prices, etc. And if every Tom, Dick, and Harry could get in there, yes it would be overrun by bozos, and it would be impossible to get any work done. Because yes, beyond all the partying, schmoozing, riding, and schwag hunting, some people actually do go there to accomplish bike related business :p
It would be nice if they did have one day for the public.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Westy said:
It would be nice if they did have one day for the public.
That might be cool. But when you think about why they are there, and what their goals are... manufacturers go there to generate interest in their new products. Dealers go there to check out the new products and talk to their reps about the next year's order, etc. The media goes there to get "exclusive" previews of the next year's goods. If there was a day for the public, that would pretty much eliminate the draw for the media. Not to mention the possibility of prototypes getting stolen... you know damn well if you let everyone in there, you let everyone in.

The bottom line is, it's an industry only trade show. Sure, some people who aren't "really" industry people manage to slip through the cracks and get in, but there's no realistic way they could stop that.

Consumers recieve the information from the trade show exactly as the organizers of the trade show want them to, through the media and through their dealers.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Also, do you think Dave Weagle wants to answer questions from 14 year old freeriders about why the new Iron Horse dual slalom bike can't run a 14" super monster fork?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Echo said:
That might be cool. But when you think about why they are there, and what their goals are... manufacturers go there to generate interest in their new products. Dealers go there to check out the new products and talk to their reps about the next year's order, etc. The media goes there to get "exclusive" previews of the next year's goods. If there was a day for the public, that would pretty much eliminate the draw for the media. Not to mention the possibility of prototypes getting stolen... you know damn well if you let everyone in there, you let everyone in.

The bottom line is, it's an industry only trade show. Sure, some people who aren't "really" industry people manage to slip through the cracks and get in, but there's no realistic way they could stop that.

Consumers recieve the information from the trade show exactly as the organizers of the trade show want them to, through the media and through their dealers.
I totally understand why they don't have a public day, it would just be cool. Every two years I have to work a big machine tool show in Chicago. Most people are there to do business but there are a fair amount of people there that just go around trying to get freebies at each booth and they are a pain in the ass. There is even this crazy homeless guy that always sneaks in to steal food and chunks of aluminium to sell as scrap.