Quantcast

Interbike Bitterness....or NOT!!!

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
Hi, Brian from Therapy Components here.

This thread is in response to an earlier thread about being happy to not go to Interbike.

Just wanted to inject a few thoughts. Interbike is:

1) Expensive, especially to a smaller company

2) A monumental pain, causing many people to burst into flames due to the effort to get everything ready

3) in a Shythole like vegas.

BUT.......

it is a great place to meet up with all your industry friends, see who's doing what, and yes, even talk to the media and show off your new stuff.

I hate getting ready, I hate paying for it, but i really like being there, showing what we're doing, talking to more companies about various projects, and seeing what everyone's up to.

I think it's a very important venue for the industry, and while it could be done much better, I don't think I'd elect to miss it if I was after the best interests of my company....and I actually like being there...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i can see how it would be nice to meet up with your industry buddies, but do you have any hard data that show that your company profits more from being interbike than if you skipped out on it a la e.thirteen?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
That is a hard question. Seeing your exhibit was informative, but I already know plenty about brake jack and therapy components.

It is a good question would the average buyer, i.e. no dh experience, be more interested in your products after seeing your exhibit. Maybe convincing them to sell more dh bikes would be a better use our our time...

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
How does one get that hard data Toshi? That seems like a ridiculous request. You might try to have some data crunching company figure out on average how much revenue increased with attendance to Interbike, but that will inextricably be linked to new products, which are really what counts.
The only way to monitor is if all else (including the industry) stayed the same, and the only variable you were able to change in the equation was going to Interbike or not. Though, as a company, you can probably get a good feel if it's worth it or not by how your business changes, and it's an especially good venue if you want to release new stuff (not sure why CK was even there).
While it may or may not be monetarily worth it in terms of advertising, it is sure to generate more interest than if you didn't attend.
Anyone think it a bit odd that it was in the freaking desert, and not in a convention center? I'm sure there would be a lot of people willing to forego the 100 degree temps in favor of a cleaner atmosphere, and maybe have a separate riding venue, or separate riding day, or something like that.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
i can see how it would be nice to meet up with your industry buddies, but do you have any hard data that show that your company profits more from being interbike than if you skipped out on it a la e.thirteen?

Ya, hard data, sure, now ask me if the ad I ran in Bike magazine was worth the money.

One of the things that is the most difficult is trying to decide where to spend the marketing $$$$

Interbike, mag ads, race sponsorship, race support, grassroots, website

We try to do them all, which means a poor job at all of them (see the "worst website ever" thread).

BUT, I can say that if we weren't here last year, we probably wouldn't be licensing our design to Kona this year, so I definetely feel it's worth the time and effort to make the show.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
That is a hard question. Seeing your exhibit was informative, but I already know plenty about brake jack and therapy components.

It is a good question would the average buyer, i.e. no dh experience, be more interested in your products after seeing your exhibit. Maybe convincing them to sell more dh bikes would be a better use our our time...
OK, so our demo was not "news" to you. But you would be amazed (I was), at the number of people that were shocked/stunned by the floating brake demo. Still plenty of peopkle that don't know what's going on.

And Interbike is a rare opportunity to spread the word (along with Sea Otter, whistler, etc)

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I will probably be attending interbike for the next 20 years. Any industry tradeshow is a nice opportunity to meet with people and get things done. I love that part.

Displaying with a booth on the other hand, depending on your product line it can be worth it or not. For e.thirteen, we sell a niche product, and although our booth is typically jammed with people, it is jammed with friends and family, not mom and pop shops looking to place an order. All of our aftermarket business is done through distributors who show our product in their booths also.

Not having a booth at that show made Interbike 06 my most enjoyable and productive show ever.

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Interbike in whistler would be amazing (not sure if they have the space though).
I would love that. Anywhere but Vegas would be great. As a good friend says, "I'm over it brah" LOL. Vegas is rough after a while.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
I would love that. Anywhere but Vegas would be great. As a good friend says, "I'm over it brah" LOL. Vegas is rough after a while.
Yep, anywhere (decent of course) but Vegas, it's getting old. Now Whistler, Colorado, or even somewhere on the East Coast would be cool.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
How does one get that hard data Toshi? That seems like a ridiculous request.
I actually have a friend who works for a company that does just that. They work primarily with the automotive industry but I know that just recently he attended ComiCon with some customers who were selling art at the convention. I'm sure that the customer's annual revenue is below $100k based on what I saw of their art, yet they were still able to have a consultant gather some data, crunch some numbers and figure out if it's beneficial to attend the convention. I'm sure they could do the same thing for a customer in the bike industry, even if sales are few.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Right after the DH community gets its own governing body they can put together their own trade show too! I wish I could get paid to dream like this...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I agree. Maybe if I never been to Vegas before I would enjoy the glamour, but I can gamble anytime I want, but I rather be in a bike friendly town, like Portland, Vancouver, or Austin.

And imagine if this was my 10th Interbike...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
BKQuill said:
Yep, anywhere (decent of course) but Vegas, it's getting old. Now Whistler, Colorado, or even somewhere on the East Coast would be cool.
Interbike use to be in Anaheim and Philly.

renegade999

Monkey
Jan 6, 2005
i've been to interbike more times than i can count. last year i went to the auto show at the Javitz center in new york city. i usually hate big cities, but the wife came with, and i loved the trip. interbike would probably do well in new york in the javitz center with all the companies that are based on the east.

gus

Chimp
Mar 17, 2002
Gus here from Arrow Racing; Weve been doing it for 13yrs,and all the above posts are very approriate , its a big deal for small USA owned Co's ,How many bike shops really know the pains we enconter to show up for these things ..HooooRaaa for bringing this subject up..thk/u, gus..

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
here's some irony fer ya.

E.13 mentioned the risk of getting run over by a fork lift as one reason why they chose not to attend this year. Well on Friday as we were packing up lo and behold some poor industry dood got a crate dumped on his foot by a forklift. I've been told that he subsequently lost his foot!!! Terrible news....

Seriously there are myriad reasons NOT to go to the show. One of mine is that Specialzied doesn't allow just anybody into their booth. Frikken Nazis!

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
here's some irony fer ya.

E.13 mentioned the risk of getting run over by a fork lift as one reason why they chose not to attend this year. Well on Friday as we were packing up lo and behold some poor industry dood got a crate dumped on his foot by a forklift. I've been told that he subsequently lost his foot!!! Terrible news....

Seriously there are myriad reasons NOT to go to the show. One of mine is that Specialzied doesn't allow just anybody into their booth. Frikken Nazis!
That is horrible! I can believe it though... The speed with which they tear everything down on Friday is insane... You are at risk of tripping over rolls of carpet, being run down by forklifts, having crap dropped on you by the big lifts, other exhibitors, etc.... SCARY!!!

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Not going to interbike would really only benefit a few companies. E13 has cornered the market on chainguides. No one makes a guide that even comes close to working as well as theirs do and everyone knows it, therefore by not going they are making money by saving money.

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
So, what would it take for the Interbike organizer to move the venue to a different location?

I guess the venue itself would have to be in Vancouver due to space but the dirt demo could easily be held at the whistler bike park.

L

luelling

I actually have a friend who works for a company that does just that. They work primarily with the automotive industry but I know that just recently he attended ComiCon with some customers who were selling art at the convention. I'm sure that the customer's annual revenue is below $100k based on what I saw of their art, yet they were still able to have a consultant gather some data, crunch some numbers and figure out if it's beneficial to attend the convention. I'm sure they could do the same thing for a customer in the bike industry, even if sales are few.
How do they figure out if its beneficial? I'm curious, it would seem hard to figure out where the business came from if you are advertising on many different fronts (shows, mags, etc).....its not like the point and click model of the Internet where they can track exactly who clicked thru from what site and who purchased what.

roamingoregon

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Wilsonville
I've been to Interbike 8 or 9 times out of the last 10 or 11 years...
I've been there as a shop rat, racer looking for sponsors, working for small companies, working for large companies, Inside rep, outside rep, and sales manager, no responsibilities, and huge responsibilities.
It's planning and it's work (hard work,) it consumes you.
I love this debate- and you may not care but- the trend of any major player completely pulling out of the show is disapointing. It is the number one place to showcase your company in front of a very large segment of retailers that purchase products, and salespeople that sell products. It's a place that everyone can see, compare and learn something about the who, what, and where. It's a temperature guage. I don't care where it is- but pulling out of the show completely isn't good for the bike industry.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
Funny thing is, I didn't even realize that, but then I never tried to go into the Special ed booth anyway.....

And, sure, there are reasons not to go to the show whether you're displaying or browsing, but it seems there are more reasons TO go, than not.

Basically, the overidding reason for me is that it's the only place in the U.S. where you can guy and see such a large crossection of product, and meet with/talk to such a large number of industry representatives and dealers. Period.

Whether some companies feel it isn't worth it (Trek for one) is a decision each company has to make for itself, but certainly the show is more beneficial to all when as many players are present as possible.

I suspect that some of the reason companies decide not to go is to protest. Everything from the location, to the absolute violent and viscious anal rape that occurs when it comes time to pay for anything. They'd charge you for the air if they could.

I hate the location and expense and hassle and workload and late hours and stress of going. But once I'm there, I enjoy it like a kid in a candy store.

I started this thread because there was an awful lot of bitching and bitterness in another thread when talking about the show itself. Ok, some of it relates to the areas I complained about, i.e. getting to and paying for the show.

But when it comes to actually being at the show, and enjoying it, man if you can't enjoy a huge room full bikes, bike parts, and bike people, you shouldn't even be on this website much less in the bike biz. Hell we damn sure aren't in it for the money......

wow, I guess it was time for a rant. I feel better.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
How do they figure out if its beneficial? I'm curious, it would seem hard to figure out where the business came from if you are advertising on many different fronts (shows, mags, etc).....its not like the point and click model of the Internet where they can track exactly who clicked thru from what site and who purchased what.
I think what he means is that this company will take your money and give you a figure that may or may not be relative to the question.....

The benefits of going accumulate over the years, and have a lasting, and ovelapping effect, combined with your other marketing efforts. I really think any attempt to seriously quantify the value of (or sales) going to Interbike is speculation at best. I don't need to pay someone to tell me it's very beneficial to go.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The reason Trek, Cannondale etc don't go is that they hold their own dealer events. In the long run it is cheaper to fly in your buyers, show them the product and GASP!, go ride, than it is to get a huge booth at interbike.

Specialized also holds a huge ass dealer event and I have heard rumours they won't be attending next year, or only doing dirt demo a la Cdale. I've heard that giant is contemplating the same thing.

The dealers get a free trip and get to ride the product, and the big companies get their undivided attention. It's a win win situation, and no one has to suffer though Vegas to do it.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
The reason Trek, Cannondale etc don't go is that they hold their own dealer events. In the long run it is cheaper to fly in your buyers, show them the product and GASP!, go ride, than it is to get a huge booth at interbike.

Specialized also holds a huge ass dealer event and I have heard rumours they won't be attending next year, or only doing dirt demo a la Cdale. I've heard that giant is contemplating the same thing.

The dealers get a free trip and get to ride the product, and the big companies get their undivided attention. It's a win win situation, and no one has to suffer though Vegas to do it.
I don't know that I'd call their dealer events the real "reason they don't go". It is an option they have that smaller companies don't have. I believe that if some things were changed about Interbike, they'd be back..

Also, it does nothing for attracting new customers. Must be nice to have so many you aren't looking for more...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I don't know that I'd call their dealer events the real "reason they don't go". It is an option they have that smaller companies don't have. I believe that if some things were changed about Interbike, they'd be back..

Also, it does nothing for attracting new customers. Must be nice to have so many you aren't looking for more...
The dealer events are held in lieu of. No need to hock your wares to buyers when you already have them all dealt with, on your own time.

I'd be surprised if Spec, Giant and Trek get new dealers simply from interbike. I can see it being possible for a small company, but not from the big 3 or 4.

What would need to change to bring them back? Cost, location and format. At $1880 for 10x10, it costs those guys an absolute fortune for their monstrous booths, shipping the booth + product, and paying a few dozen employees overtime and expenses. Not to mention th eunionized workers, electricians, rental fees on funiture and carpet etc.

I remember the old giant booth from back in the day, 2 story, VIP lounge on the roof etc. It was insane.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
What would need to change to bring them back? Cost, location and format. At $1880 for 10x10, it costs those guys an absolute fortune for their monstrous booths, shipping the booth + product, and paying a few dozen employees overtime and expenses. Not to mention th eunionized workers, electricians, rental fees on funiture and carpet etc.
Hey don't get me started on $300 for a 10 x 10 piece of carpet, $xxx to plug in, $300 for a table and two chairs...like I said earlier, painful anal rape....I heard one company was told $22,000 for a pretty simple hanging sign...

So exactly my point, if some things were changed, they'd be back...

but at least they have the option to scale down the booth, not as much of an option for little guys...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Hey don't get me started on $300 for a 10 x 10 piece of carpet, $xxx to plug in, $300 for a table and two chairs...like I said earlier, painful anal rape....I heard one company was told $22,000 for a pretty simple hanging sign...

So exactly my point, if some things were changed, they'd be back...

but at least they have the option to scale down the booth, not as much of an option for little guys...
Christ, I didn't know carpet was up to $300 for 100sq'. Last time I worked a booth it was $150, so we brought out own.

The fees for power (to run a TV and DVD player) are pretty insane...as are the unionized electricians fees to install it. $22k wouldn't surprise me. Now the Unionized guys need to get in a crane. Hazard pay and all of that. :rolleyes:

I don't think they have much of a choice to scale down though. They have a few dozen models to show off, in various colors. It really sucks for someone like Giant or Specialized who have to either show it all, or not bother going. Imagine what rumours would fly if they showed up with 5 bikes and a 10x10?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

Specialized had a relatively small booth, and I didn't even bother to stop in.

As soon as I heard this year's Specialized demo was to N*, I seriously thought about sneaking away and taking my boss's id...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Specialized had a relatively small booth, and I didn't even bother to stop in.

As soon as I heard this year's Specialized demo was to N*, I seriously thought about sneaking away and taking my boss's id...
Ya that is what I heard. Small Spec booth, no Trek booth, Cdale only at demo day. A dealer day is the way to go for those guys. Getting to actually ride the product is great.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
Christ, I didn't know carpet was up to $300 for 100sq'. Last time I worked a booth it was $150, so we brought out own.

The fees for power (to run a TV and DVD player) are pretty insane...as are the unionized electricians fees to install it. $22k wouldn't surprise me. Now the Unionized guys need to get in a crane. Hazard pay and all of that. :rolleyes:

I don't think they have much of a choice to scale down though. They have a few dozen models to show off, in various colors. It really sucks for someone like Giant or Specialized who have to either show it all, or not bother going. Imagine what rumours would fly if they showed up with 5 bikes and a 10x10?
For the carpet, we just got a remnant with pad for $75, and left it there...we were plush with our carpet pad though, mmmm, plusshhhh.

I'd kill to see the big guys try to cram it all in a small booth....that's what I'm trying to do...(ok, with a few less bikes and colors...)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
For the carpet, we just got a remnant with pad for $75, and left it there...we were plush with our carpet pad though, mmmm, plusshhhh.

I'd kill to see the big guys try to cram it all in a small booth....that's what I'm trying to do...(ok, with a few less bikes and colors...)
10x10 and all bikes. I would PAY admission to see that. Com eot think of it, there is a bike shop near me that sells only used klunkers that is like that. 3 floors of nothing but crap hanging neatly from the ceiling and on the floor. Hundreds upon hundreds with no room to move.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
10x10 and all bikes. I would PAY admission to see that. Com eot think of it, there is a bike shop near me that sells only used klunkers that is like that. 3 floors of nothing but crap hanging neatly from the ceiling and on the floor. Hundreds upon hundreds with no room to move.
sounds like the shop i work at over here on the east coast

Bad Ronald

Chimp
Jun 30, 2005
Danbury, CT
Don't forget all the lesser known or realized expenses like meeting room rentals, massive dinners (I once saw a 16,000 dollar dinner tab receipt), strip club trips, show tickets and other items and events that the big companies have to pony up for to massage dealers. That can be as bad or worse for a company often making a big impact on sale P&L for the month of september ;)

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO

Its not an exact science but you can get a pretty damn good rough idea using simple statistics calculations.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
Its not an exact science but you can get a pretty damn good rough idea using simple statistics calculations.
I always hated statistics, not sure why. Took enough diff eq instead.

But I still don't believe anything close to an accurate number can be produced.

Advertising and marketing is a combined effort. Any one customer may have been exposed to many or all of your marketing efforts. Which one convinced them to buy?