Quantcast

Interbike, Gathering of the Lizards

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
So we're about to see how the switch from Vegas & Bootleg to Reno & Northstar goes. Any of you here? The outdoor demo at Northstar looks promising (free lift tickets?) and I'm hoping to play with the odd suspension designs at Jamis and Marin. A quick sprint on the 130mm Jamis showed it to be a firm pedaler but all 130 bikes feel snappy to me since I'm used to 170. Brian (Tantrum) was on my flight and we might go for a ride this afternoon. Kidwoo, don't you live here? You gonna come ride Northstar this weekend? I don't expect a lot of road riders at the demo days (my company is only road) so I should have plenty of free time to play in the dust.

Lizards unite!

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Eh, I guess no one's here except Brian and I. I got a few free laps at Northstar on the weird shaped Marin today so that was fun. After I added a lot of air and compression damping to both ends it felt familiar enough to rip (I ride a Capra 29). It confirmed my suspicions that stems shorter than 50mm reduce front end grip and just turn weird. It had a 35.

Last edited:

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
It confirmed my suspicions that stems shorter than 50mm reduce front end grip and just turn weird. It had a 35.
I have wondered that too but I would think fork offset would help with the 15mm reduction. Did they or do you know if they had a low offset fork on the bike? I have thought 45 was about the shortest but I need to play around with that.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I have wondered that too but I would think fork offset would help with the 15mm reduction. Did they or do you know if they had a low offset fork on the bike? I have thought 45 was about the shortest but I need to play around with that.
I'm 6ft tall, ape index 1, on a 467mm reach L sized enderpo bike. A 35mm stem improved my DH handling while not messing up the climbing ones.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
I assume it was the standard 55 or whatever offset 29" Fox 36. Yes, I think a shorter offset fork would play better with a short stem.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I could never consider a Jamis after seeing all the dudes getting broken off on ‘em at Mountain Creek.

I can't think of a worse marketing scenario for a mountain bike brand than the frames failing under recreational rental riders.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It's telling that the brands that are making across the pond on the back of the E-bike wave are Bulls and Haibike :rofl:

Enjoy!
There are "real" brands in the e-bike game out here, too: Specialized, Trek, Pivot come to mind.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
There are "real" brands in the e-bike game out here, too: Specialized, Trek, Pivot come to mind.
I know, and there are real brands doing the same thing over here. Which is why it's really odd to see two brands making the jump that were the equivalent of Huffy just a few years ago. It's comparable to KHS being the only American downhill bike available in Europe.