Quantcast

Interbike, Gathering of the Lizards

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'd ride that. Once. For the sole purpose of mowing down non-rider journalists while yelling "Strava!"

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I'd ride that. Once. For the sole purpose of mowing down non-rider journalists while yelling "Strava!"
You know you'd ride it all day if they would just make a bike that could do the riding for you.

Pedal assist is last year. Next year I predict steering assist, and braking assist which I assume you already have in your car. Soon enough your bike will just go take itself out for a ride and you can stay home.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You know you'd ride it all day if they would just make a bike that could do the riding for you.

Pedal assist is last year. Next year I predict steering assist, and braking assist which I assume you already have in your car. Soon enough your bike will just go take itself out for a ride and you can stay home.
@6thElement already made that joke last week. Old news, brotato

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
@6thElement already made that joke last week. Old news, brotato
Oh sorry

Has anyone made fun of you for being a big guy on a 40lb bike running 2.8 exo tires and wondering about punctures? If not can we change my joke to that....

Fuck. Shit. Damn. I guess it doesn't really make sense in this context. Well I guess I'm just gonna poop deck it then. Better than riding a moped :busted:

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
So we're about to see how the switch from Vegas & Bootleg to Reno & Northstar goes. Any of you here? The outdoor demo at Northstar looks promising (free lift tickets?) and I'm hoping to play with the odd suspension designs at Jamis and Marin. A quick sprint on the 130mm Jamis showed it to be a firm pedaler but all 130 bikes feel snappy to me since I'm used to 170.

Lizards unite!
Go pedal the 160mm Jamis around if you can, pedals just as well as the 130mm bike.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
The most impressive bikes I rode were the Pinion gearboxed Nicolai 130mm 29er and Zerode Taniwa and the 160mm 27.5" Tantrum.

I back off the pedal pressure when shifting much more than most riders and don't use high engagement hubs so I noticed no downsides to the gearboxes and really liked the dead silent belt drive Nicolai. I might be on a Zerode next year if some rumors I heard come true. For sure my shop will put a couple in our rental fleet.

The Tantrum really works as claimed and with the limited tuning time I had I couldn't make any serious criticisms. I'd love to have some more time on one to really dial the suspension and I'm curious to see what refinements the next generation has. In comparison the Marin, which is also claimed to have amazing pedaling for a big bike, left me very underwhelmed. It rode fine but didn't pedal any better than my Capra while needing less sag and more compression damping to avoid bottoming.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Wait who is importing Nicolai bikes? Did they have any Geometron's there or just standard ones?

Hopefully the Zerode cost can come down. I am not sure how the ChinaTariffs are gonna hit plastic bikes but adding 25% is gonna be brutal if thats how it translates. Maybe Rob will get the rear to use either 29" or 650B hoops via the flip chips on the rear axle. I also suggested adding 15-20mm onto the bikes.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Wait who is importing Nicolai bikes? Did they have any Geometron's there or just standard ones?

Hopefully the Zerode cost can come down. I am not sure how the ChinaTariffs are gonna hit plastic bikes but adding 25% is gonna be brutal if thats how it translates. Maybe Rob will get the rear to use either 29" or 650B hoops via the flip chips on the rear axle. I also suggested adding 15-20mm onto the bikes.
The Nicolai was at the Gates tent. I don't know any more than that.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, I got mine through Mojo. Not sure if they have a US distributor or not, I wanted the Mojo version of the bike anyway (which is tweaked a little from the one that Nicolai sells).

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
The most impressive bikes I rode were the Pinion gearboxed Nicolai 130mm 29er and Zerode Taniwa and the 160mm 27.5" Tantrum.

I back off the pedal pressure when shifting much more than most riders and don't use high engagement hubs so I noticed no downsides to the gearboxes and really liked the dead silent belt drive Nicolai. I might be on a Zerode next year if some rumors I heard come true. For sure my shop will put a couple in our rental fleet.

The Tantrum really works as claimed and with the limited tuning time I had I couldn't make any serious criticisms. I'd love to have some more time on one to really dial the suspension and I'm curious to see what refinements the next generation has. In comparison the Marin, which is also claimed to have amazing pedaling for a big bike, left me very underwhelmed. It rode fine but didn't pedal any better than my Capra while needing less sag and more compression damping to avoid bottoming.
that was a fun ride. Thanks for giving me a tour. It was a blast.

While nothing can compare to the sheer vertical high speed gnar of Easy Rider, what with it's 1 to 2 foot tall banked corners (almost a METER to you old skool neo's), Gypsy??? super fun, super rock paths. Woods? That fuckin toilet bowl deathwish corkscrew??? Mineshaft? Or whatever we ended up on? My hands were tired.

The locals are bitchin about the blown out trails...

A) good suspension test

2) super fuckin fun anyway, get real

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
we did opt for a trail called “Easy Rider”. Though despite its reassuring name, we were soon confronted with high banked turns, random boulder surprises, wooden bridge features and dirt jumps where both tires left the ground for what felt like a disconcerting amount of time.

oh, the horror.
this is funny. My wife, in her 50's, decided to take up mountain biking for the first time in her life, 2 months ago.

She wanted to ride here. So I wrapped her in bubble wrap and sent her up the lift with an instructor.

After a warm up on Easy Rider, they went up to the top for Coaster, a fun and somewhat tech blue trail. She did that 5 times over the weekend without crashing.

If anybody proposes to say anything meaningful about a bike and my wife can outride them??

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Here's the best thing I saw all weekend. Alta racks.

The most versatile, burly and detailed rack I've seen. It tilts back to unload, carries 6 bikes and has a hammock and bike stand attachments. Way cool.
alta.jpg

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
@HAB has a geometron, i believe he ordered it through Mojo. leads me to believe nicolai doesn't have a US distributor.
Yeah I spoke with them about a Geometron to review awhile back. I may hit them up again. Would need to sell my Smash first but all other parts would fit!

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Because, you know, pedalic, pedal assist, the same workout, blahblahblah
Pinkbike posted up the new Nicolai pedalec gearbox bike and someone called it a motorbike. Their response was that the winner of the Interbike e-bike race had a constant heart rate of "160 - 170bpm" so they are still clearly mountain biking.

http://www.racerxvt.com/article/the-exercise-intensity-of-mx-and-sx-racing-

https://www.moottoriliitto.fi/site/assets/files/1502/vtegradukonttinen011105.pdf

Pick a better argument next time.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Pinkbike posted up the new Nicolai pedalec gearbox bike and someone called it a motorbike. Their response was that the winner of the Interbike e-bike race had a constant heart rate of "160 - 170bpm" so they are still clearly mountain biking.

https://www.moottoriliitto.fi/site/assets/files/1502/vtegradukonttinen011105.pdf

Srsly. What a bunch of fucking morons. :rofl:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Drawing a comparison between a supercross racer and the lady throttling up the hill on a class 2 e-bike is pretty stupid.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Derp. I don't think you got the point of that post at all.
Enlighten me. The way I parsed it is that you’re claiming the Nicolai is a motorcycle, because heart rate data shows that SX racers are working hard, too.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Enlighten me. The way I parsed it is that you’re claiming the Nicolai is a motorcycle, because heart rate data shows that SX racers are working hard, too.
Nah I'm saying that PB's argument that an e-bike is not a motorcycle because people race them get elevated heartrates is a stupid argument. Pinkbike is wrong if they think the definition of a motorbike is having a low HR.

FWIW I don't think an e-bike is a motorbike. Those things are respectable. They're more like mobility scooters.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Guys. You're all focusing on the wrong aspect of this. There are no winners of the "Interbike ebike race". Only losers.