Quantcast

Interest in 24h of moat mountain?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Anybody interested in a 24h race in northern NH? I've always wanted to do a 24h race.

No

They suck. I won the only one I was ever in and it sucked. It seemed like it would suck before doing it. It definitely sucked while doing it. And even in the years following I still remember it as sucking. It just sucked.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
No

They suck. I won the only one I was ever in and it sucked. It seemed like it would suck before doing it. It definitely sucked while doing it. And even in the years following I still remember it as sucking. It just sucked.
You go get yoself a sammich and chill. Every 24 hr race I did was a lot of fun. We did 10 man teams on a 14 mile course. Every team member gets 2 laps - about 10 hours apart. Guess what we do between laps?? Eat, sleep, drink, smoke, talk shit, take shits. It's glorious.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
10 man teams..........Every team member gets 2 laps - about 10 hours apart.
Now do a real 24hr race and not two laps, and get back to me.

Anybody can have fun going on two short bike rides in 24hrs with time to sleep between them. You didn't do a 24 hour race with 10 feakin people to split it up....that sounds totally reasonable. What I've done....is not ;)

Although I might be understanding why granny gear productions folded. That 2 and 4 person team shit sucks.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Have done 4 solos, 7 or so duos and a handful of 5 person teams. Party pace 5 person teams with the Echo/Ghostrider crew was fun but I preferred the 2 person. Eating was my limitation solo and the duos gave me enough time to eat and digest but little else. The process of waking up after a short nap was torture, preferred to keep moving. Always called the duo team Off Constantly, because nobody can beat off constantly. But that was all when I was in really really good shape, would be a nightmare now.

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Did that back in 2007 with @Adventurous and 8 others (2 5-man teams). There was talk amongst some of them about doing it again this year, but I'd be lying if I said I'm interested in it these days.

You go get yoself a sammich and chill. Every 24 hr race I did was a lot of fun. We did 10 man teams on a 14 mile course. Every team member gets 2 laps - about 10 hours apart. Guess what we do between laps?? Eat, sleep, drink, smoke, talk shit, take shits. It's glorious.
Did it a number of times, including 2001, 2002, and 2005 at Great Glen and 2004 at Lake Placid, with four person teams, had a lot of fun.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
The party 24 hr race is a super good time. The solo or small team races look like pain and punishment. No thank you. It's better to do stuff and have fun than to try and find your cave of mental suffering.

The party 24 hr race is a super good time. The solo or small team races look like pain and punishment. No thank you. It's better to do stuff and have fun than to try and find your cave of mental suffering.
There's a subset of our culture, generally male, who are hung up on the ideal of the suffering warrior. It gets boring about a microsecond after they start describing their preparation and efforts.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I was thinking party pace group of 4 or 5. It's been on my biking bucket list for some time...seems like part of the MTB culture that kind of died in the last 10 years. I want to have fun with some homies, ride some bikes, see what we can do in 24h. Get a little weird, a little tired, halucinate a little bit, you know- the classics.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Seems like part of the MTB culture that kind of died in the last 10 years.
Well yea.....it sucks.

In all seriousness, you can do exactly what you described without having to pay race fees, stick to a certain course, follow the race schedule/rotation, and share it all with a shitload of people, etc.

Go to Kingdom trails or NOCO for a day or two with whoever you want and do whatever you want. Ride a shitload of trails, ride fast or slow, ride as little or as much as you want, drink as little or as much as you want. I WOULD EVEN GO WITH YOU.

But that's just me.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
31 hour drive :(

I bought lights for doing 24 hour races in 2007, still haven't done one. I decided I liked racing 100 milers in the daylight.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I've done the 5 man team twice, and once did a duo with splat. The 5 man races were a fun party. The duo was easier logistically, but obviously much harder physically and felt a lot more like a race. Splat and I finished second out of like 15 teams but got nothing for that, which was kind of a bummer. It'd be interesting to see how I would do now because 50 year Baboon would kick the shit out of 30 year old Baboon.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I don't want to win anything, not even come in second...I just think it would be a good time with a good group of people.

You can ride all day at KT or Thunder or whatever and I've done that plenty, but there's a different vibe at a race.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't want to win anything, not even come in second...I just think it would be a good time with a good group of people.

You can ride all day at KT or Thunder or whatever and I've done that plenty, but there's a different vibe at a race.
You just need to find a group of people with the same mindset and expectations and you'll be good.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
10 man team is a big party and nothing but fun. Our group is a bunch of mtb lifers who all know how to handle a bike. Just knowing how to hammer down and also how to carry speed through tech trail puts us at an advantage over most of the other teams.

After years of 24hr races I concluded that a majority of the people entered are roadies and other non-dirtbags. They can push pedals uphill but not stand and hammer. They can't carry speed in tech.

Our race course had a double track climb thats 350ft vert and straight. It starts off so mellow and gradually gets steeper until the last 100ft are brutally steep. I was racing a SS hardtail then and would stand and hammer that hill, lol. It was a pain cave but I was forced to go 8-10 mph up that thing and all those people slogging along in their granny gears would audibly cry as I flew by.

I could see entering a 6 or 8 hour solo race but not anything longer.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
After years of 24hr races I concluded that a majority of the people entered are roadies and other non-dirtbags. They can push pedals uphill but not stand and hammer. They can't carry speed in tech.
I don't know what it's like now, but that just seemed to cover any xc racing in general. I remember bunny hopping over people crashing on a descent down a big erosion rut in one race. People I couldn't keep up with on climbs...

God help you if you're behind one of these people and there's a jump or two on the courses....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't know what it's like now, but that just seemed to cover any xc racing in general. I remember bunny hopping over people crashing on a descent down a big erosion rut in one race. People I couldn't keep up with on climbs...

God help you if you're behind one of these people and there's a jump or two on the courses....

That is part of the fun, Erzberg Rodeo level chaos.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan

So many races where they work so hard to pass you on the climb and then as soon as the descent starts they are re-passed and never seen again.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Motherfuckers were falling down at the one I'm talking about because they were all trying to stop and carry their damn bikes down :rofl:

It was literally nothing more than an eroded dirt road.
So this is a universal XC race thing I see.

Last edited: