Quantcast

interesting (if you are a weight weenie) shock weight comparison

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
2,939
1
Santiago du Chili
for anyone interested

just weighed one of those new avalanche piggyback shocks, the one with the small reservoir (the chubie).

weight for the 9,5" / 3" stroke with the corresponding 450lbs spring, and original mounting hardware (this means dh worthy steel pins, with oring seals btw) came in at 1160g

compare with a swinger 6way with a similar spring and also with hardware, same size at 1200g.
 

RogerH

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
157
0
Sweden
A 7.5x2.0 chubie with a 500 ti spring weights about the same as a Fox DHX5.0 in the same size, but with a #400 steel spring.
Don't remember the exact figures, but it was very close, maybe the chubie was 8 or 10g more.

Avalance and the Swinger use steel shaft's, right? And the DHX and 5th's got aluminum?
 

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
655
57
PNW
Here's a comparison I did between three 7.5 x 2.00" shocks.

DHX Air: 14.7 oz (417g)
DHX Coil (550lb steel spring): 1 lb 12.1 oz (797g)
Avy Chubie (500lb Ti spring): 1lb 11.7 oz (785g)

 

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
1,757
0
MA
BigMike said:
is a few ounces really that big a deal on a DH bike? :confused:
simply put, Yes. the lighter the bike is the more it can be thrown around and it makes the bikes a lot easier to control. that is the advantage I see with lighter bikes. anyone have anything to contribute to why a lighter bike is a big deal in DH?
 

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
2,939
1
Santiago du Chili
SKYWAYBUZZ said:
I have Fox DHX 9.5x3
450 steel spring=1078 400 spring=1033
Manitou 6 way 9.5x3 400 spring=1100g. the Man. body alone weights 85g more than DHX. Someone else's PIC

thats perfectly in line with my own findings, the conclusion is really that when comparing against the newer shocks (ie: post fox rc) these new avys are not really heavier, the dhx is lighter but not by much anyway, this is great since you can start making decisions based on more important factors, like damping quality, durability, suitability, etc etc.
 

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
2,939
1
Santiago du Chili
BigMike said:
is a few ounces really that big a deal on a DH bike? :confused:


actually, the thread is about just that question, with that comparison i mainly wanted to point out that a) i was suprised by the weight and b) the differences between the major dh models are very small and those few ounces arent really a big deal on a dh bike, not when your discussing something as important as a shock.
 

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
452
0
San Diego
BigMike said:
is a few ounces really that big a deal on a DH bike? :confused:
Not to me. Don't even matter on my trail bike. What really made a difference was losing 16 lbs of body fat. Now THAT I could feel :D
 

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
4,160
0
at the end of the longest line
vitox said:
thats perfectly in line with my own findings, the conclusion is really that when comparing against the newer shocks (ie: post fox rc) these new avys are not really heavier, the dhx is lighter but not by much anyway, this is great since you can start making decisions based on more important factors, like damping quality, durability, suitability, etc etc.
what about steel springs vs steel springs? or ti vs ti? seems like a more accurate weight comparison to me
 

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
966
14
cali
SkullCrack said:
Here's a comparison I did between three 7.5 x 2.00" shocks.

DHX Air: 14.7 oz (417g)
DHX Coil (550lb steel spring): 1 lb 12.1 oz (797g)
Avy Chubie (500lb Ti spring): 1lb 11.7 oz (785g)
by comparison, a 7.785 inch X 2.25 (500 lb steel spring) Romic shock has longer stroke, longer I2I...and weighs 711 g. with Al reducers but WITHOUT the mounting bolts.

i looked into aftermarket Ti springs but when i compared 'em with the romic steel spring the weight difference was small. however i've compared Ti vs. steel for longer stroke springs, and the Ti advantage is significant there.
 

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
3,083
79
Vancouver
I know this came up before but I figured I'd ask here since this thread is about shock weights.

A Fox RC with steel spring compared to:
-Romic w/ steel spring
-DHX w/steel spring
 

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
2,939
1
Santiago du Chili
ChrisRobin said:
I know this came up before but I figured I'd ask here since this thread is about shock weights.

A Fox RC with steel spring compared to:
-Romic w/ steel spring
-DHX w/steel spring
dont have any figures but i would guesstimate the two foxes to be similar (dhx somewhat bigger and with more things going on but alloy shaft) and the romic to be roughly 3/4 lbs heavier at the same size and spring rate.
 

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
3,083
79
Vancouver
vitox said:
dont have any figures but i would guesstimate the two foxes to be similar (dhx somewhat bigger and with more things going on but alloy shaft) and the romic to be roughly 3/4 lbs heavier at the same size and spring rate.
Ahhh, just hearing that makes me want to forget about Romic and get a burned out Fox RC and get it Push'd. Thanks.
 

toodles

Turbo Monkey
Aug 24, 2004
2,912
1,249
Australia
vitox said:
dont have any figures but i would guesstimate the two foxes to be similar (dhx somewhat bigger and with more things going on but alloy shaft) and the romic to be roughly 3/4 lbs heavier at the same size and spring rate.
I just weighed a Romic and a Fox DHX.

Romic 9.5 x 3.0 w/450 steel spring - 1015g
Fox DHX 9.5 x 3.0 w/450 steel spring - 1150g

The DHX I weighed is the remote version for the Turner DHR though, but I doubt the smallish length of hose accounts for the total weight difference.
 

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
2,939
1
Santiago du Chili
toodles said:
I just weighed a Romic and a Fox DHX.

Romic 9.5 x 3.0 w/450 steel spring - 1015g
Fox DHX 9.5 x 3.0 w/450 steel spring - 1150g

The DHX I weighed is the remote version for the Turner DHR though, but I doubt the smallish length of hose accounts for the total weight difference.

whow

thats news to me, i have a couple of 9,5 romics that are 1250 to 1300g albeit with heavier spring rates.

can you get a figure for the shock body on those?
 

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
3,083
79
Vancouver
toodles said:
I just weighed a Romic and a Fox DHX.

Romic 9.5 x 3.0 w/450 steel spring - 1015g
Fox DHX 9.5 x 3.0 w/450 steel spring - 1150g

The DHX I weighed is the remote version for the Turner DHR though, but I doubt the smallish length of hose accounts for the total weight difference.
Hmmm...interesting. 9.5x3.0 was the size I was interested in. Thanks for weighing them.
 

Jm_

Turbo Monkey
Jan 14, 2002
10,355
2,541
AK
Brian HCM#1 said:
Thanks Victor, that's good to know the Avy is right there in the same ballpark as the main competitors.
If you spend the extra $200 for the Ti spring.
 

Jm_

Turbo Monkey
Jan 14, 2002
10,355
2,541
AK
Brian HCM#1 said:
Whats an extra $200 in the DH world. Parts cost enough the way it is. Just gotta deal with it:cool: :blah: ;)
The point is, that the avalanche is not competative with weight.

Put a Ti spring on the DHX and try again.

Then we'd be comparing two equivalents.

The avalanche isn't the boat-anchor that it was a few years ago with only the DHS and Mtn models, but you ain't comparing apples to apples by putting a Ti spring on one shock, and then comparing with one without a Ti spring. Put an RCS on the DHX and then you'd know what is competative.
 

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
2,939
1
Santiago du Chili
Jm_ said:
If you spend the extra $200 for the Ti spring.
well see the original weight comparison is apples to apples, i put it there to evidence the fact that a ti spring is not to make the avy lighter or comparable.
 

toodles

Turbo Monkey
Aug 24, 2004
2,912
1,249
Australia
vitox said:
whow

thats news to me, i have a couple of 9,5 romics that are 1250 to 1300g albeit with heavier spring rates.

can you get a figure for the shock body on those?
9.5 x 3.0 remote reservoir Fox DHX
Body (with spring retainer) - 520g
Spring (450lb steel) - 630
Total - 1150g

9.5 x 3.0 Romic Double D
Body (with spring retainer) - 425g
Spring - 590g
Total - 1015g

The Avy Mono with Ti spring in the 9.5 x 3.0 is around 734g according to the website, which sounds veeery nice but I don't know how much of that difference could be due to the Ti spring.
 

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
633
0
SLC, UT
This is what Manitou has posted for the Revox:
Size: 222 X 70mm; 240 X 76mm; 267 X 90mm
Weight: 462 grams

Must be without the spring. The one I held was really light.
 

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
1,011
0
the mid-west armpit!
vitox said:
for anyone interested

just weighed one of those new avalanche piggyback shocks, the one with the small reservoir (the chubie).

weight for the 9,5" / 3" stroke with the corresponding 450lbs spring, and original mounting hardware (this means dh worthy steel pins, with oring seals btw) came in at 1160g

compare with a swinger 6way with a similar spring and also with hardware, same size at 1200g.

Let me guess........ you work for avalanche????


And is the 40g difference due to an ti shock? Right?
 

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
3,083
79
Vancouver
wood-dog said:
Let me guess........ you work for avalanche????


And is the 40g difference due to an ti shock? Right?
Nah, vitox is just a guy that tries different things with parts and tells us what works and what doesn't.