Quantcast

interesting iPod Nano reading

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
ohio said:
Not until the product is essentially a commodity does that drastically occur. It could be a decade before that stage is reached. Lots of money to be made until then, and any smart company will divest from the market once margins get that low.

Additionally, consumer access to information/opinions puts much more pressure on companies to come up with quality products and features (not necessarily functionality) that consumers want. It's far more difficult to produce a successful but inferior product these days than it was in the 80s and 90s.
Its happening - the marketing BS and fad effect is fading - people are wising up and buying on important features instead. Apple cancelled their most popular product the people really wanted [iPod Mini] and it was a mistake. This is the real world and not the Internet. Haha...

bizjournals.com
Analyst: Early iPod nano sales good, not great
Tuesday September 13, 12:35 pm ET

Sales of Apple Computer Inc.'s iPod mini replacement, nano, were lower than many expected on the first weekend it was available, an analyst reported on Tuesday.

Shaw Wu, who follows Cupertino-based Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL - News) for American Technology Research, said checks with industry and channel sources indicate that many Apple stores sold between 200 and 500 of their initial nano allocation of between 1,800 and 2,500.

Sales of the iPod mini, on the other hand, continue to be strong even though the discounting that was offered before last week's nano unveiling have been discontinued, Mr. Wu said.

"We believe iPod nano may cause sticker shock as consumers are not getting more storage for their dollar as they are accustomed to," Mr. Wu said in his report. "In contrast, iPod mini has superior storage capacity (4 gigabytes vs. 2 gigabytes at $199 and 6 gigabytes vs. 4 gigabytes at $249) and better battery life -- 18 hrs vs. 14 hours. We may be alone at this point, but we believe matching the super success of iPod mini may be a tough act for iPod nano to follow without some changes."

Mr. Wu said Apple may need to either increase the storage capacity to match at least iPod mini or cut the price by $50.

When iPod mini was launched in January 2004, it was almost universally panned due to its "small" storage capacity of 4 gigabytes and lack of value compared to regular iPods, Mr. Wu wrote, cautioning " iPod nano has only started shipping since Sept. 7, and thus it may be difficult to draw a trend with only six days of data."

Published September 13, 2005 by the Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
<syadasti>
See? I told you they sucked! I told all of you! Nananananah!

Apple is full of lies. Jobs lies! ALL iPod Nanos are defective!

Buy a Rio.
</syadasti>

:sneaky: :blah:

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
syadasti said:
Yet another Apple product rushed to market in beta quality...
Oh gawd no! How will I continue?? Oh the humanity!!! Someone end it now PLEASSEEEEE!!!!!!!

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
Recently picked up one... it's pretty sweet. I've got 800 songs on it with 600MB of room to spare. It also sync's my calendar and contacts from Outlook. For a flash-based player, that's pretty amazing.

As for the screen scratches and stuff, I just used some frisket film (used for airbrush masking).

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I also got a nano a little while ago, and you have to hold one to comprehend how small it really is. I looked at the dimensions and said, "wow, that's not bad," but really didn't understand how compact this thing is until two of my buddies got them.

There really isn't anytihng to compare it to at the moment, its head and shoulders above every flash player, but has the features of the high-end iPods. Needless to say, I like it, and I'm not affraid to take it riding.

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
so you are able to use this thing as a flash drive as well right,so i would be able to xfer homework from my comp to a school comp. etc etc etc?? thats what im unbderstanding. ill thank you in advance for an answere, thnx

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
unless they *only* cut that deal w/ Apple.
but why is that not their choice? apple guaranteed that they'd sell a boatload of chips, and they cut them a deal. other companies don't sell the volume so can't guarantee that they'll purchase said boatload.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well you said better for the consumer, right? sounds like the above deal is better for Apple, and then by default better for consumers who may prefer Apple.

competition is what drives what's best for consumers, no?