Quantcast

interesting iPod Nano reading

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
wow. thats one tough little sucker. i was planning on getting one but i too was worried aobut it being weak. but i dont think im ognna be dropping it form a car at 50 mph or throwing it as high as i can in the air so i think its safe to get one

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Guess they haven't broken flash device before, its all about leverage/bending, not sitting on it on a flat surface, dropping it, or running a car over it - all that does is scratch it...

non-brain-dead person said:
Not surprising, as damage usually comes from components with empty space being crushed. I have a flash drive you could run a steamroller over and it'd probably still work. Compression won't affect it, but a bending motion would.
:stosh:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
syadasti said:
Guess they haven't broken flash device before, its all about leverage/bending, not sitting on it on a flat surface, dropping it, or running a car over it - all that does is scratch it...

So maybe they should put it in a vice a hit it with a hammer, since that's the day-to-day abuse a personal music player will encounter...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
stinkyboy said:
So maybe they should put it in a vice a hit it with a hammer, since that's the day-to-day abuse a personal music player will encounter...

Ah, I guess you never have sat on an uneven surface, leaned against a corner, had items of various shapes and sizes on your backpack/pocket/etc...

I've seen flash devices break in the real world and its never from drops or normal compression - they have no moving parts - thats the whole point of going flash.

You see I work in the real world as a system admin and deal with hundreds of users, not an on-line pseudo computer journalist/marketeer with cognitive dissonance who just got back from some brainwashing press conference :nope:

There is nothing magic that is going to make this flash device stronger than a shorter flash drive...

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
syadasti said:
Ah, I guess you never have sat on an uneven surface, leaned against a corner, had items of various shapes and sizes on your backpack/pocket/etc...

I've seen flash devices break in the real world and its never from drops or normal compression - they have no moving parts - thats the whole point of going flash.

You see I work in the real world as a system admin and deal with hundreds of users, not an on-line pseudo computer journalist/marketeer with cognitive dissonance who just got back from some brainwashing press conference :nope:

There is nothing magic that is going to make this flash device stronger than a shorter flash drive...
It's worn around my neck with the supplied neck strap.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
stinkyboy said:
Yeah thats convenient and geeky - gee, that must be why the other devices you could wear around your neck (LIKE FLASH DRIVES) never get broken :blah:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
stinkyboy said:
Yeah, but what happens when you are at the zoo leaning over the lion's cage and your neckstrap breaks sending your trendy i-pod right into the mouth of the king of the jungle.
It will not break when he bites straight down on it, but if he bites it at an angle, oh boy, it might snap.
And then you will cry as hard as rain from the heavens that you did not buy another less known little music holder like with more features and stuff!
Choose wisely my son, your choice holds the fate of the world by a string.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
This is pretty typical of stress testing flash products. For some reason, people are amazed that flash devices survive a bit of beating, so they feel compelled to do these ridiculous tests.

All of the flash devices hold up approximately the same, there are a few exceptions, but they mostly hold up the same. What these people should really be doing is looking at obvious weakpoints, and specially testing those. In this case, there's a perfectly obvious weakpoint - it's thin. So, try bending it. For those Sandisk Titanium drives, the obvious weakpoint is the retractable tips, so test those. Chucking the drives into the air proves only what we already know - that nearly all flash devices are pretty sturdy.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
syadasti said:
Yeah thats convenient and geeky - gee, that must be why the other devices you could wear around your neck be (LIKE FLASH DRIVES) never get broken :blah:
This is the only flash drive I need! Should I carry several in my pack with pipe wrenches and large ball bearings while I run down flights of stairs dragging it behind me? What's wrong with you? It's a friggin electronic device, and it's just a nice write up on the new iPod showing extreme conditions. OK, OK, other devices will hold up as well, but if you can't take care of your stuff, you're a freaking tard.

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
I just ordered an Ipod shuffle. I went with it over the other ipods because I was worried about the screen or harddrive failing. I also ordered the belkin FM transmitter... for two reasons... one; to play in the car and two; to play funny songs on my teacher's radio. One of these days Im going to play "Your Mother's Got a Peni$", by Goldie Lookin Chain.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
binary visions said:
This is pretty typical of stress testing flash products. For some reason, people are amazed that flash devices survive a bit of beating, so they feel compelled to do these ridiculous tests.

All of the flash devices hold up approximately the same, there are a few exceptions, but they mostly hold up the same. What these people should really be doing is looking at obvious weakpoints, and specially testing those. In this case, there's a perfectly obvious weakpoint - it's thin. So, try bending it. For those Sandisk Titanium drives, the obvious weakpoint is the retractable tips, so test those. Chucking the drives into the air proves only what we already know - that nearly all flash devices are pretty sturdy.
Actually stinkboy - see here is someone who isn't braindead and knows how flash devices actually break. He doesn't use lame overused pictures from the internet either :nuts:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Jeremy R said:
Or maybe you own more than a few dozen albums and would actually want to carry them all around in a player only marginally bigger (which is the main purpose for buying a DAP over a minidisc/CD player) with a battery that doesn't die more quickly than most HDD players do let alone standard cheap portable CD players than run on AA batteries...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
It should be Captain MPMan (first mass produced DAP circa 1998) or Captain PJB-100 (first HD DAP circa 1999)

The iPod is just the 8th knock-off from 2001. How unoriginal could you get? But then again the mods like most people are brain-dead and take whatever marketing non-sense they are given about the latest product - biking or otherwise...

They probably don't even ride or use these products in the real world, too busy reading what someone else said they heard on the Internet about it...

RaID

Turbo Monkey
syadasti: well name a product that is better quality, similar features to the iPod nano?

Every product has its weak points but youre basically saying that this is gonna break first time you put it in your pocket. Im just wondering what would you buy instead if you wanted a small mp3 player with that capacity?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
RaID said:
Im just wondering what would you buy instead if you wanted a small mp3 player with that capacity?
I would buy an XS202 if I had to buy another DAP right at this moment. Its the same size and price as an iPod mini 6GB but it has a 20GB HDD and 17 hour battery life (actual tested was almost an hour more). It works both with folder navigation or id tag navigation. It also works as a portable HDD. I would say anything under a half inch thick is too thin for ergonomic and strength purposes...

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Jeremy R said:
Yeah, but what happens when you are at the zoo leaning over the lion's cage and your neckstrap breaks sending your trendy i-pod right into the mouth of the king of the jungle.
It will not break when he bites straight down on it, but if he bites it at an angle, oh boy, it might snap.
And then you will cry as hard as rain from the heavens that you did not buying another less known little music holder like with more features and stuff!
HAHAHA, Jeremy is a prince, a real godam prince.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
syadasti said:
I would buy an XS202 if I had to buy another DAP right at this moment. Its the same size and price as an iPod mini 6GB but it has a 20GB HDD and 17 hour battery life (actual tested was almost an hour more). It works both with folder navigation or id tag navigation. It also works as a portable HDD. I would say anything under a half inch thick is too thin for ergonomic and strength purposes...

What if I want a flash based player with a color screen?

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
No matter how much you cry, Captain iPod, Apple still rules the DAP market, and it makes me warm inside to know how much that pisses you off. :eviltongu

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
DRB said:
Only reason to get a flash player is because you have slippery hands and break things often and/or don't have a lot of music. Color serves no purpose on a device made for the purpose of playing music - you aren't going to be able to see good photo/video detail on a screen much smaller than a cheap point and shoot digital camera (even those suck as often you can't tell if you got the shot in focus). If you want calendar or alarms, etc - use the features on your cell phone - they are just as good and in color too. A DAP is for MUSIC - get the right tool for the job. A leatherman isn't going to work better than your park tool set...

Besides, Jobs said that flash devices that have screens are a tortured interface when he introduced the shuffle. Why would you want a nano - it has the tortured interface he was saying you don't need for a flash player - just make one button without a screen that shuffles all your songs is what you need :p

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Mackie said:
No matter how much you cry, Captain iPod, Apple still rules the DAP market, and it makes me warm inside to know how much that pisses you off. :eviltongu

Just means people have no taste. McDonald rules the fast food market, but I'm glad I don't eat there.

Just another typical fat lazy American with bland disgusting taste ;)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Leethal said:
I love how people are wuick to point out how something works as a portable HDD so do the iPods..... BFD!
Not all DAP work as UMS (portable HDDs) - some require special drivers and/or utilities and some require specifying a special partition on the DAP etc... Beside that, I never said the iPod didn't, so I love how you are making a point about something I did not say. A 20GB HDD is much more useful than a small one that already can't hold all your music. Surveys have found most people have around 10 GB of music in their collection at CD quality encoding, 4GB ain't going to cut it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
DRB said:
or one that doesn't look like the ugly 2nd cousin of a game boy?

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Leethal said:
I love how people are wuick to point out how something works as a portable HDD so do the iPods..... BFD!
Is it no BFD that some MP3 players can store data, or no BFD that people care?

I'm a real life computer geek too, and I love to carry around some key applications and utilities on my MP3 player, it's handy.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Toshi said:
or one that doesn't look like the ugly 2nd cousin of a game boy?
Gee I didn't know my music would sound better if the box was shiny? How come people toss the white earphones out if they like sound quality - they look so trendy - they must be good :stupid:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
syadasti said:
Gee I didn't know my music would sound better if the box was shiny? How come people toss the white earphones out if they like sound quality - they look so trendy - they must be good :stupid:
apparently you've ignored the many recent posts by ohio and others, who rightly point out that the attractiveness (and marketing) of a product is as important to its success as anything else, assuming it functions fine as the various iPod flavors all do.

items such as cell phones, mp3 players, and other "unnecessary" but still hot-selilng items are those for which ugliness is the ultimate death knell on the market.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Toshi said:
items such as cell phones, mp3 players, and other "unnecessary" but still hot-selilng items are those for which ugliness is the ultimate death knell on the market.
Yes but trendy items/new technologies have life-cycles. When people wise up and buy their second device, they won't make the same mistake again. They'll know there is better beer out there than the Budweiser they got when they were a kid...

Thats why Macs only have 3-6 percent of the installed userbase of PCs and their sales only make them a minor 10th place player these days in the annual sales - people have had PCs for years and know Apple PCs aren't all that like the marketing BS claims - their marketshare has been shrinking to almost nothing year after year. They are so poor in fact the iPod is what is keeping them going, not the main computer business they started off as.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
syadasti said:
their marketshare has been shrinking to almost nothing year after year.
Please prove this statement, or better yet, shut your neck. You're not going to convert anyone. Be angry at Apple if you like, but your rants are pointless. This is The Lounge, try to loosen up...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
syadasti said:
Yes but trendy items/new technologies have life-cycles. When people wise up and buy their second device, they won't make the same mistake again. They'll know there is better beer out there than the Budweiser they got when they were a kid...

Thats why Macs only have 3-6 percent of the installed userbase of PCs and their sales only make them a minor 10th place player these days in the annual sales - people have had PCs for years and know Apple PCs aren't all that like the marketing BS claims - their marketshare has been shrinking to almost nothing year after year. They are so poor in fact the iPod is what is keeping them going, not the main computer business they started off as.

:rolleyes:

and im on a PC.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
syadasti said:
Besides, Jobs said that flash devices that have screens are a tortured interface when he introduced the shuffle. Why would you want a nano - it has the tortured interface he was saying you don't need for a flash player - just make one button without a screen that shuffles all your songs is what you need :p
Come one bro, you're supposed to be the expert and you can't figure this one out yourself? Uh, flash capacity increased. It's easier to navigate 1GB, it's harder to navigate 4GB. 1GB is used more for playlists, 4GB is used more for mini-libraries. Since you've owned DAPs since 1864, clearly you understand this concept, right?

Stop being such a downer, and start cheering on the fact that Apple is pushing it's competition to innovate.

And the little nub on the Gemini sucks for scrolling through menus. :eviltongu