Quantcast

interesting new shock from AVY

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Brian HCM#1 said:
Not only that but it shouldn't leak and feel like crap.

well the very name implies that its not like a romic. this is a shock, as ohio says, similar to a fox more than a romic, remember the romic is a "shock inside a shock" design.

Then the cult will either die or get stupidly massive.. Or there will be an elitist Remote Avy DHS/MTN cult or something daft..

Seems a bit odd.. I can understand why they've made it, you should be able to find an avy for most applications cheaply now, but surely you can fit a remote res shock somewhere you can fit one of those? Alright not everywhere, but i can see that shock tainting avy's reputation somewhat.

For some reason it will do something the better shocks won't, and everyone will jump on board saying all avy's are crap. Yippee.

Can anyone shoot me a guess as to how this will perform without the huge ass nitrogen res?? I'm not big on shocks, they just feel good or they don't.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
AR_ said:
For some reason it will do something the better shocks won't, and everyone will jump on board saying all avy's are crap. Yippee.

Can anyone shoot me a guess as to how this will perform without the huge ass nitrogen res?? I'm not big on shocks, they just feel good or they don't.
well when they're touted as so great because of the design and then they change that, is that where the magic damping fluid comes into play?

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
This news just made my day. An avalanche I can afford! I just hope the production models have a polished body like the remote shocks, that pic does not look very bling :)

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Hmmmmm.....in order to rescue the avy clan we can always hope that Avy comes out with some kind of extremely expensive shock.....yes - I admit it does not sound very nice, but if everybody was suddenly riding avy........????

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Hmmmmm - the more I think about it the more I think it is a little sad/disapointing that Avy had made this "mainstream-move" - there is no doubt that Avy will lose its exclusiveness if the shocks become very common. Of course it will be good for the average user,- but for an Avy-snob like me......yeah - I would prefer it differently, but if this is the (financially) best move for the company I guess there might not be other routes to take....

opinions ???

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Rik said:
I reckon Avalanche and Hope should pair up to do speciality super high end components... that'll give you the elitism that you want ;)
...I admit this "elitism" tastes bad in my mouth...but on the other hand I will be honest enough to admit that that is want I want.... :o:

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
seismic said:
Hmmmmm.....in order to rescue the avy clan we can always hope that Avy comes out with some kind of extremely expensive shock.....yes - I admit it does not sound very nice, but if everybody was suddenly riding avy........????

cmon!

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
Very positive. A cheaper, but still custom valved shock for those who can't go all out. It will still perform great and most importantly; It will take a lot more beating than any other brand out there.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
pretty much the most rediculous things you've ever said. as if suffering under that mtn-8 is some type of religious experience for you. while you think youre just alittle better than everyone else, most people are chuckling at you.

don't get me wrong, were e-friends-n-all and i dont want to be a complete dic, but come on now. This isnt the Rap/RnB awards red carpet of biking, were not a G-unit ninjas trying to out do eachother with our component bling.

Im glad avy is trying to package their ride quality into smaller, lighter shocks. I dont want a 3 pound shock - no matter the quality. those days are gone, along with Risse Bigfoots, 24x3.0's and 12" Karpiels (oh,sorry)

Im glad to see avy move in this direction.

seismic said:
seismic said:
Hmmmmm - the more I think about it the more I think it is a little sad/disapointing that Avy had made this "mainstream-move" - there is no doubt that Avy will lose its exclusiveness if the shocks become very common. Of course it will be good for the average user,- but for an Avy-snob like me......yeah - I would prefer it differently, but if this is the (financially) best move for the company I guess there might not be other routes to take....

opinions ???

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Jimmy_Pop said:
pretty much the most rediculous things you've ever said. as if suffering under that mtn-8 is some type of religious experience for you. while you think youre just alittle better than everyone else, most people are chuckling at you.

don't get me wrong, were e-friends-n-all and i dont want to be a complete dic, but come on now. This isnt the Rap/RnB awards red carpet of biking, were not a G-unit ninjas trying to out do eachother with our component bling.

Im glad avy is trying to pack their ride quality into smaller, lighter shocks. I dont want a 3 pound shock - no matter the quality. those days are gone, along with Risse Bigfoots, 24x3.0's and 12" Karpiels (oh,sorry)

my hero :love:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
zahgurim said:
Looks like a lot more people will be riding Avys now.
I doubt it. The shock still costs $400, and doesn't have any apparent bells and whistles. The maintstream market prefers bells and whistles to a well-built, custom valved, but still heavy and bland shock.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I had a conversation with Craig about 6 or so months ago and he told me he was comming out with this shock. It's necessary to if he wants to keep up with the Jones's, plus he has the piggyback shocks (noncustom valved) for sale at a resonable price.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
ohio said:
I doubt it. The shock still costs $400, and doesn't have any apparent bells and whistles. The maintstream market prefers bells and whistles to a well-built, custom valved, but still heavy and bland shock.
Well people will be more willing to try Avy at a resonable price. They still rule the market on durability.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Earth shattering new product for $400.......whoever buys a 9.5 X 3.0 PM me and i may be interested in buying your 'old' shock for cheap.....

How

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Area 51
ohio- one thing about avalanche is they really aren't heavy... i'd like to see the weight with a Ti spring, i'm sure it gives the other shocks on the market a run for the money.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
How said:
ohio- one thing about avalanche is they really aren't heavy... i'd like to see the weight with a Ti spring, i'm sure it gives the other shocks on the market a run for the money.
They're also not that light.

I'm not saying it's a bad shock. In fact, custom tuned with little to no adjustability and a broad range of fit is probably what most people NEED (because people are too dumb and lazy to tune their own shocks). I'm just saying it's not what most people WANT.

So you don't have to worry about everyone suddenly owning an avalanche.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
too bad they arent making it in smaller strokes/eye to eye. I think thered be a bigger market for something like that on slalom/short travel bikes

renegade999

Monkey
Jan 6, 2005
Pip3r said:
too bad they arent making it in smaller strokes/eye to eye. I think thered be a bigger market for something like that on slalom/short travel bikes
Yes that would be amazing for DJ bikes for sure.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Jimmy_Pop said:

Im glad avy is trying to pack their ride quality into smaller, lighter shocks. I dont want a 3 pound shock - no matter the quality. those days are gone, along with Risse Bigfoots, 24x3.0's and 12" Karpiels (oh,sorry)

cmon....dont get so angry....I just mean that I (as many others) like to have some stuff on the bike which are not the most common...that is all !!! ;)

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Pip3r said:
That's what I'm thinking. It seems kind of strange that they would go back to an older shock design. I'm not going to rag on this shock, since I haven't ridden it myself, so I don't have firsthand expirence on how it feels.

What I do know is that Avy makes great and durable shocks, so this might be a great shock for someone who has an older Turner or an older Giant DH. I guess they could be gunning for the Romic crowd...