Quantcast

interesting rumor i overheard about the next Downieville DH race

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
One of the workers at Yuba Expeditions was saying this weekend that there is going to be a $10,000 purse for anyone who can beat the course record at D'ville, which I think is like 39 mins and change. If no one beats it the money is supposed to keep carrying over until someone does break the record.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
dfinn said:
One of the workers at Yuba Expeditions was saying this weekend that there is going to be a $10,000 purse for anyone who can beat the course record at D'ville, which I think is like 39 mins and change. If no one beats it the money is supposed to keep carrying over until someone does break the record.
Hear that Weir!!!?????

You're goin down punk!!!!!

That's what I would be saying if I was Henry O'donnell and wanted my title back.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I talked to Henry for a little while on saturday while he got my rental heckler ready for me. Really nice kid. It's crazy to think that someone can finish that course that fast.

D

Dingus McGee

bikenweed said:
Awesome. Now that is a real down hill race. Count me in.
It's a great race alright, but definately not 'a real downhill race'.

Why? because a Expert XC racer chick can beat a Sport 'Downhiller' anyday on that course due to all the pedalling on the lower divide. How do I know? I think you can figure it out. :rolleyes:

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
i keep hoping the snow will melt so I can get out there one last time but I just don't see it happening.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
kidwoo said:
Assuming he doesn't break his chin on the steering wheel of his lowrider while making it hop at stoplights.
or get his corn rows stuck in his helmet straps :D

(all smack talk aside Lopes is the man and if anybody could give Weir a run for it might be him...or Cedric judging from his garbanzo DH race performance this summer at whistler.)

Lucee

govenor
Jan 16, 2002
nor cal
Dingus McGee said:
Why? because a Expert XC racer chick can beat a Sport 'Downhiller' anyday on that course due to all the pedalling on the lower divide. How do I know? I think you can figure it out. :rolleyes:

I think I follow your logic, but I'm a little confused on why gender has to be an issue...if it were an expert xd dude that beat you, would you feel better about it? Just curious...wanna see how your brain works...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Lucee said:
I think I follow your logic, but I'm a little confused on why gender has to be an issue...if it were an expert xd dude that beat you, would you feel better about it? Just curious...wanna see how your brain works...
I would assume that since most races are divided into male/female categories his example was meant to illustrate that he was a "male sport class DH racer" and he got beat by a "female expert class XC racer", and not much more.

Gender is only an issue because he's relating his racing experience and in racing, gender is a big issue. If you were to take a look at the average (regardless XC/DH/4X, etc) expert class women's times and the average expert class mens time, the mens times would be faster, I think he was just trying to relate an approximate time difference that's all. :D

Lucee

govenor
Jan 16, 2002
nor cal
punkassean said:
I would assume that since most races are divided into male/female categories his example was meant to illustrate that he was a "male sport class DH racer" and he got beat by a "female expert class XC racer", and not much more.

Gender is only an issue because he's relating his racing experience and in racing, gender is a big issue. If you were to take a look at the average (regardless XC/DH/4X, etc) expert class women's times and the average expert class mens time, the mens times would be faster, I think he was just trying to relate an approximate time difference that's all. :D

Thanks, Dingus McGee.;)

D

Dingus McGee

Lucee said:
I could have left gender out of it- the way DV DH works is that everyone stands in a long line for the start, they don't have strict category starts, you just start whenever (after the Pros, etc)...you get to talking to everyone, it's a long wait..a few racers behind me was a woman I got friendly with and she had done the Expert XC (that's her thing) the day before and was trying the DH 'just to give it a try'. She passed me near the bottom because she was super fit and really fast on the lower 6-8 miles of kinda flat course. It's a long slog -16 miles and it just showed me what time it was. All the other racers near me were 'Downhillers' (and men, btw) and I passed 4 of 'em and didn't get passed! Except by her. DH skills don't overpower fitness on that course.

That's all I was trying to convey.

edit- I just reread my other post and I see how it could've come off a little sexist -"'racer CHICK", etc ....anyone who know me knows I celebrate untold amounts of diversity and gender equality! Sorry if I offended.

Lucee

govenor
Jan 16, 2002
nor cal
Dingus McGee said:
I could have left gender out of it- the way DV DH works is that everyone stands in a long line for the start, they don't have strict category starts, you just start whenever (after the Pros, etc)...you get to talking to everyone, it's a long wait..a few racers behind me was a woman I got friendly with and she had done the Expert XC (that's her thing) the day before and was trying the DH 'just to give it a try'. She passed me near the bottom because she was super fit and really fast on the lower 6-8 miles of kinda flat course. It's a long slog -16 miles and it just showed me what time it was. All the other racers near me were 'Downhillers' (and men, btw) and I passed 4 of 'em and didn't get passed! Except by her. DH skills don't overpower fitness on that course.

That's all I was trying to convey.

edit- I just reread my other post and I see how it could've come off a little sexist -"'racer CHICK", etc ....anyone who know me knows I celebrate untold amounts of diversity and gender equality! Sorry if I offended.

I'm not offended, I'm just pointing out the climate, here on rm, and in mountain biking in general. And, you do admit you could've left gender outta it, but ya didn't, that's all....

Hey Jeff! I'm good, miss ya up here in the land of rain, how's married life treatin' ya?

D

Dingus McGee

Lucee said:
I'm not offended, I'm just pointing out the climate, here on rm, and in mountain biking in general. And, you do admit you could've left gender outta it, but ya didn't, that's all....
I guess I don't want to have to leave gender out of anything to ensure calm weather then.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Dingus McGee said:
I guess I don't want to have to leave gender out of anything to ensure calm weather then.
:stupid:

I didn't think that comment was pushing the envelope of sexism so to speak...

Lucee

govenor
Jan 16, 2002
nor cal
Dingus McGee said:

Uh, not sure I understand, but okay!
Just making you aware of how you think, that's all. Pardon moi!:P

D

Dingus McGee

Lucee said:
Uh, not sure I understand, but okay!
Just making you aware of how you think, that's all. Pardon moi!:P
I'm not lookin for any trouble.

Lucee

govenor
Jan 16, 2002
nor cal
B_LOWrider said:
kick his a#@ (do "they" get pissed if you swear)

Yeah, you know what? Maybe I will, if ya ask me, I think he IS lookin' for trouble, watch out, Dingus, because this pyscho female will be coming after you! I just hope it doesn't end like that Andy Kaufman wrestling match....:D
I really hate losing...