Quantcast

Interesting Schwinn Article

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
That was a great article. It's sad to read about the demise of what was once a great american company.

a couple of quotes caught my eye:

"People complain that a Schwinn is not what it was. True," said Greg Blake, an engineer at Pacific.

"But," he said, "it doesn't cost what it did, either."

I guess that's what it comes down to...most americans don't really care about the quality of a product as long as they can buy it cheaply.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Joe Pozer said:
<snip>
I guess that's what it comes down to...most americans don't really care about the quality of a product as long as they can buy it cheaply.
I think the main problem is that spending a bunch of cash doesn't necessarily get you a product that is any better than a cheap version......

-S.S.-

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
Maybe you should buy a high end bike from wal-mart and a high end bike from your dealer. Then come back and try to say the same thing.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
SkaredShtles said:
I think the main problem is that spending a bunch of cash doesn't necessarily get you a product that is any better than a cheap version......

-S.S.-
Im gonna need an exmaple on this one, it certianly doesnt seem to apply to bikes. American cars... maybe.

Curiouscaptian01

It's not poo
Dec 1, 2003
California
quadricolour said:
Those of you old enough to remember: what was the quality like on the original Stingrays? Were they decent bikes?
Hell yeah man, T-Pirate used to have one but for some reason his parents threw it out "Too many bikes in the garage..." it was a sweet bike. I really liked to ride it man, the banana seat is sweet.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
TheInedibleHulk said:
Im gonna need an exmaple on this one, it certianly doesnt seem to apply to bikes. American cars... maybe.
Sure it does. Just not on the really low end. Say a Specialized vs. an Ellsworth.

It obviously doesn't apply to everything, but an awful lot of things.

-S.S.-

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
TheInedibleHulk said:
here's an example right from that article:

The plant struggled from the beginning. Costs were high and the quality uneven: The bikes coming off the assembly line in Greenville weren't necessarily any better than the ones shipped from Asia

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
quadricolour said:
Those of you old enough to remember: what was the quality like on the original Stingrays? Were they decent bikes?
they were very high quality bikes i had a 1970 schwinn "krate series" pea picker we bought it from our next door neighbor whos son had just gotten a drivers lic.

i rode the piss outa it from 71 to 75 when i got my first bmx bike by then i had totally trashed the thing and we ended up selling it in a garage sale.

one of the dream BMX race bikes in the early 80's was the Schwinn Sting i never got one but respected the bike as being a great race bike at the time.

my last schwinn was a Y2K schwinn homegrown it was THE best hardtail mountain bike i've ever owned and i realized i made a mistake when i sold it a year ago.

people look at bikes as toys and can't fathom spending over $200 on one when i had folks at my office ask me about what one of my bikes cost they about spit out their coffee when i tell them however, those are the same folks that don't think twice about blowing $6000 in vegas on any weekend.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
SkaredShtles said:
Sure it does. Just not on the really low end. Say a Specialized vs. an Ellsworth.

It obviously doesn't apply to everything, but an awful lot of things.

-S.S.-
OK I could see your point in that case, SX trail vs. ID kind of thing. I was thinking more of the 800 dollar mongoose that looks like the 1800 dollar trek kind of idea. Even so, its difficult to deny that the craftsmanship and quality of the ellsworth (although not the design... get with it ellsworth :think: ) is superior to the specialized. They may work equally well, but they still arent the SAME thing. Personally, I wouldnt buy an ellsworth, im more concerned with how a bike works than how it looks, but some people care and I dont blame them for liking Ellsworths. There are other companies you could use though that refute your example. Say Giant vs Turner. Both motolink designs, one made in taiwan and the other in the US. The Giant DH frame retails for 1800, the turner for 2200. The giant is not a bad bike, but you wont find too many DHers who if they had the option wouldnt drop the extra 400 for the turner. Now the DH comp, I cant deny, is a good deal, but the team retails for 5500. For that amount of money you can easily get a nice turner.

Speaking of Ellsworth, when are they gonna get on the ball and come out with some new designs?? How old is the dare now? Ive always though Ellsworths looked cool, but they sure do need to put some more money into the engineering department.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
TheInedibleHulk said:
<snip> There are other companies you could use though that refute your example. Say Giant vs Turner. Both motolink designs, one made in taiwan and the other in the US. The Giant DH frame retails for 1800, the turner for 2200. The giant is not a bad bike, but you wont find too many DHers who if they had the option wouldnt drop the extra 400 for the turner.
I'm sure there are lots of DH-ers who would spring the extra for the Turner, but I'll bet it'd be for the bling factor, not because they thought they might be faster................. :D

-S.S.-

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
The turner does have some quantative advantages, namely weight. Bling factor also plays a role for sure, but for me the biggest difference is craftsmanship quality.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Mmmm...I still have a 99 homegrown...*wub*

This dude (bike illiterate) was like so...what kind of bike do you race on? And I was like...a Schwinn Homegrown... "Cool, I have a Schwinn, I got mine from Wal-Mart!" :rolleyes:

DIE!