Quantcast

Interesting thread on Vintage BMX on Windrock

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Makes no sense. Why doesn't that guy get involved with the bikers in his/our area? Heck, Olivers Springs isn't that far from Solway (MTNx park). Why doesn't he get inlvolved in an established park that needs all the help it can get. Yes, yes I know he's a vice mayor of OS, but heck I don't live in Knox County or Solway and I build out there. Again, I'd suggest that he talk to Joe and the other local bikers.

We are much stronger together.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
profro said:
Makes no sense. Why doesn't that guy get involved with the bikers in his/our area? Heck, Olivers Springs isn't that far from Solway (MTNx park). Why doesn't he get inlvolved in an established park that needs all the help it can get. Yes, yes I know he's a vice mayor of OS, but heck I don't live in Knox County or Solway and I build out there. Again, I'd suggest that he talk to Joe and the other local bikers.

We are much stronger together.
Yep, well said.
I gave this sites info, hell, I'm in SC and it's such a great place to ride and you local cats are very cool to ride with. I only wish Windrock was closer!!!!

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
if chris wants to come up and build a b.m.x. area at the rock, he can get hold of me through the website, or "red" at the a.t.v. club. but im sure he has a direct political path directly to chuck whicker at coal creek mining. he will soon find out that if he wants it, he will have to do most of the work himself with out support from anyone in the local bike community. he will also fight an almost impossible to win war trying to keep motorcycles & a.t.v.s of of anything as inviting as a b.m.x. track. unfortunately there is a small percentage of both groups that delight in destroying any and everything that they can roll their wheels up and over. trust me on that.

CHepler

Monkey
Sep 5, 2005
Hello fellows my virgin post here. I'll address profro "no sense" first. I go to Solway a couple times a month as my time allows. There has never been a single soul there. I don't know what your riding schedule is. My may be after work one evening, after/before mowing on a Sat. or on my way to the inlaws on a Sun afternoon. I went to one of the races there last year and that's the only time someone other than myself has been there. I did take a friend once, but his schedule is tighter than mine. Other than that it's solo for me. 2 weeks ago me my bike and a rake went. It was rocked over, weeds grown up, and the gate at the bottom was open. A motorcycle had been enjoying the place though. You need help with trail maintenance. tell me, I'm there.
As far as this new place to ride, I'm just thinking of something in addition to your downhill run. Chuck needs something from the city, I'm in a position to help, in turn he can help with this. If it's something you guys are not interested in, no big deal. I just thought the more places to ride the better.
dhbuilder, you need help, LMK I'm 10 minutes from the bottom of your run. I have chainsaws, weedeaters, hand tools of all fashion and I'm offering.
Chris

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I'm glad you're online here. You'll find more mtb riders that ride locally rather than Vintage BMX.

I'll let dhbuilder comment on Windrock, along with Spoke80 and Scotty of Pluto, I do most of the building and maintaining at Bigfoot (Solway). However since I race DH during the summer, I never find time to make out there. However during the Fall, Winter, and Spring you'll be hard pressed to find a day that I'm not out there digging or raking. Unfortunately this late Spring we got news from Knox County that we were going to loose our jump trails in the woods behind the start gate due to an expansion at the greenwatse recycling center. So with all the underbrush already grown in it was difficult to start a new set of trails. We decided to wait until the Fall to start diggin again. Our trails are "hidden" and aren't in the open. Part of that is based on finding the best dirt, but it also helps to keep unsuspecting kids from getting hurt. We don't keep the a secret, but they aren't in the open.

I think offering help to Joey (dhbuilder) at Windrock would be stellar and I'm sure very welcome. As far a BMX style DJs and trails I'd work with Scott at Pluto (who is going to be instrumentalin the skatepark being planned in Knxville) or with Jon and Shawn at Harpers to get something contined at Bigfoot.

I don't know if you know how to check your Private Messages here in Ridemonkey, but I'm going to send you my phone number.

Doug

CHepler

Monkey
Sep 5, 2005
Cool. Thanks for the word Doug. More than glad to lend a hand at either place.
Chris

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
chris: im joey, you probably know a few of my good friends, rusty hydel and terry jeffers, from back in your b.m.x. days. the three of us were the main guys who started to develop the windrock d.h. area 5 yrs. ago. rusty has gravitated away, but terry is still up here going strong. in my opinion hes is by far the best rider we have out here. his technical skills and ability to find the perfect pace for each particular trail is something a lot of the local riders have yet to figure out. we would very much like to get you involved with what we are doing out here, we have an area inside the land weve been "given" that you might be interested in. we have a powerline acess road that runs down the center of our area that i would like to turn into an "a-line" style trail, with large jumps and big flowing berms. it would be a huge addittion to our trails. the only problem we face with that is every couple of years they send a dozer or some other kind of vehicle down to keep the roadway clear in case of any maintainance the power lines may need. so building something down the middle could possibly be a futile effort. i doubt another site outside of our area would be worth the work it would take because of the problem i stated in my earlier post about the other user groups that have a tendency to "run wild''. i wage a constant battle with some of the more dis-respectful types up there. as far as the mt. cross course over in solway, again security is a problem when it is sitting idle. ben and doug have tried in vain to keep the place groomed, but without serious and constant support from the local shop that got the place started,it will never ever really get off the ground. talking about support is not the same as actually making i serious long term commitment, which is what the place needs. so i wish you a lot of luck out there. pro-fro and spoke 80 are the guys you need to hook up with. there good guys, and the three of you could keep that place from dissapearing off the map. get my e-mail address off our website and stay in touch. ive made a heavy commitment in my life to wind rock mt. chuck, red, "E.T.", and others have been very good to me. the effort anyone uses to help me there WILL NOT go to waste.