Quantcast

Interesting

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I got a new bike last fall and have been thinking about the height of my handlebars. I was findings steeps a bit difficult so last weekend I tried a bar with about 3/4 of a inch rise difference and hoo boy. My technical riding went way up. I'm far more comfortable and as a result faster. I feel much more balanced than previously.

What I had was an Easton Monkey Light xc short rise bar cut down to 24 inches, with a 110mm -6 stem. I put on an old 24 inch wide flat bar and I like it. The front end stays down better on the steep climbs and even decending, I feel better I guess from being lower. I wonder if the lower position weights the front a bit better so the front wheel tracks better? My buddies who ride longer travel bikes at the bike park tell me they sit more in the middle of the bike than with hardtails.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by oldfart
I wonder if the lower position weights the front a bit better so the front wheel tracks better?
yeah, that's pretty much what's happening, that's why some DH racers are so obsessed with their front end being low - it weights the front wheel so it won't wash out in high speed turns.

Same with skiing, get your weight forward and you can maintain better control over the turns.

Obviously the flip-side is a higher rise bar is easier to ride in technical stuff, esp. because it's easier to lift the front end over stuff.