Quantcast

Intermittent and extended fasting

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I paused my fasting for now, not sure when I'll take it back up. I dropped about 29lb at my max, but I've started exercising 5 days a week, including weights, so I'm not sure fasting is going to allow me to build the muscle that I want. Even with abandoning the diet, I'm still in great shape thanks to reducing drinking and exercising so much. Plus I might be able to actually keep up with people in the spring rather than fall! Chasing migraines got to be a little much and I wanted a break. The weight sprang back up a bit but hovers around 185 (down from 207-213), so I'm up a bit from my 178 at the bottom, but there's muscle that I never had before too.

I would like to integrate extended fasts into a regular lifestyle though. I feel like there are real health-related (not just weight) benefits to it and maybe once every two weeks or going through periods of month-on, month-off IF might be wise.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Fast in AM throw in 30 to 50 mim cardio, after 6 hours dormant body goes to fat storage and not blood glucose...so you will burn the fat storage to feed the cardio..

Forget you did this do not add food to justify it

Higher protein, fat and low carbs....carbs also retain 30% water weignt so if you eat alot you will hold water when you drop them down you will pee 2 times more than you drink for a short period...also vitamin c helps drop water and cleanse.

Thays the only time I see fasting as beneficial...too.much and body adapts and what small portions you eat it stores as much as possible to fat and goes catabolic and eats muscle....

I sit 240lbs and walk between 6 to 8% bf (dexa scans) year round ran a 5.43 mile last year while still training for competitions before covid...

I think fasting has a place but not with athletes and sports unless its morning fasted for fat burning...

This also works for fat loss really well...no magic pills just macro timing and certain tweaks to eating habits..

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
And BMI is bullshit...I'm 6'3 says I'm obese even though I run lean....I did a v02 max but for caloric intake and exhaustion I'm 2700 calories resting im 86% fat burn 14% carbs on exhale...I have a fast metabolism always have...but I'm always up to something wife says I'm worse than our kids...nosey as hell and always have to look to see whats on other side..if it says "don't touch" I'm all over it...lol

Fasting or a good cleanse is good used sparingly I've seen alot in the gym and helping people with their diets and training....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
aaaand I'm back on the wagon. Put on about 10 lbs between dropping the fast and today. I wanted to focus on building strength and fitness and knew that fasting would limit that, but now I want to shed some fat and maintain a bit or be less aggressive with the training. We'll see how it goes...if I can lose the 10lb again I imagine I'll be in great shape as I've built quite a bit of muscle.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
aaaand I'm back on the wagon. Put on about 10 lbs between dropping the fast and today. I wanted to focus on building strength and fitness and knew that fasting would limit that, but now I want to shed some fat and maintain a bit or be less aggressive with the training. We'll see how it goes...if I can lose the 10lb again I imagine I'll be in great shape as I've built quite a bit of muscle.
Watch your macros they are key to a lean gain and a good cut with very little catabolism going on...

If you want any input feel free to hit me up if there's any advice or questions I can answer I will and be happy too...I'm all about power, looks, speed and athleticism.....has to be functional or its a waste of freedom and movement..

For dieting and good overall cutting tips this is an amazing guy....has several good articles and easy to follow....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Watch your macros they are key to a lean gain and a good cut with very little catabolism going on...

If you want any input feel free to hit me up if there's any advice or questions I can answer I will and be happy too...I'm all about power, looks, speed and athleticism.....has to be functional or its a waste of freedom and movement..

For dieting and good overall cutting tips this is an amazing guy....has several good articles and easy to follow....
I guess I need to look into macros. No idea what they are.

My latest campaign into fasting lasted a day. I'm still able to fast for 36h without issue, but my stress level at work is too high to add the distraction of not being able to eat. Plus, about 4 days after my fast I got a migraine in the middle of the night (this is after feeding). It's been about 3 months since I quit fasting and 3 months since I got my last migraine, so there's still some issue there that I haven't figured out.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Whats your end goal for fasting or rather why are you and what are your expectations.....

By the way hangry is a real thing lol...irritable, headaches, sometimes blood sugar lows and dizzyness...discomfort without a question...most of the time if I don't eat I can be an asshole...

I know my goals and I dial my diet in here or there now with cardio to lean out fast...im.cutting lean right now and still ate 3k calories but it was 50% protein 30% fat 20% carb (close to these numbers) and carbs were pre and post workout..

My fitness pal free version is a good way to add what you eat and track it....be honest with it...it will let you see aap of your diet and you can adjust

Last edited:

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I'm the fattest I have ever been.

Actually I was worse fifteen years ago, almost as fast no ability to ride a bike more than a couple miles.

I think it is time to try something different.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Well, I think my sugar intake is so bad my body doesn't know how to work.

Not eating as much, not drinking beer, Gained 4 pounds.

I can sleep better now though.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
that study is probably quite confounded. and also based off of two days of self reported eating habits iirc.

I would put very little faith in its findings, in other words.

Last edited: