Quantcast

Internal corrosion protection for steel bike frames

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Weigle is the best. it has some sticky stuff that keeps the stuff from just running down the tubes to the bottom.
you should recoat once a year, not that i have, but you should.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Thanks for the great info guys!

I wasn't aware that you needed to do this.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I think we have some frame saver in the shop, I'll pick that up!

A related question: what do people do when they rub the paint off their steel frames? repaint the area or temporarily treat it with light oil (for bad weather protection)?

I rubbed a spot off the chainstay with my big feet and it nicely rusted there after this weekend's downpour (both riding my bike and driving 3 hours back and forth in the storms).

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
carolpeters said:
now imagining myself a steel builder, a once-a-year recoater, i thank you both, drb and toninator.
Agreed! Thats why I gave him positive rep!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
On the chainstay, I'd paint over it (if it's a small spot, nail polish is supposed to work great - haven't tried that, myself), and wrap it with something. Anything you put on there is just going to rub through again.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
On the chainstay, I'd paint over it (if it's a small spot, nail polish is supposed to work great - haven't tried that, myself), and wrap it with something. Anything you put on there is just going to rub through again.
I used to use this touch up stuff you can get from any autoparts store. It's a clear coat that you can just dab on the rusted spots, it neutralizes the rust spots and adds a coating to the area.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
stosh said:
I used to use this touch up stuff you can get from any autoparts store. It's a clear coat that you can just dab on the rusted spots, it neutralizes the rust spots and adds a coating to the area.
Thanks, I'll try that! It's a flat black Steelhead, so if worse comes to worse I'll just grab some primer paint!