Quantcast

internal geared hub... wide cadence range

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
So I've been a big advocate for three rings and 9-10 cogs. Sure, there's some over lap, but until a few months ago, my comfortable cadence range was pretty tight, like 85-90.

I asked y'all about some tips for increasing my cadence and I can comfortably hold about 97rpms. With my single-speed, I'm thinking that I'll continue to expand my comfortable range. I'm hoping I can train my legs to work well at 70-100. Right now, below 75 is burning me out.

Anywho, I got to thinking, if one can expand the comfortable range, what about a 1x8 setup? Specifically, an internal geared hub. The gaps are pretty large, correct?

But if they are and my knees are okay with the gaps, is a 1x8 an absurd idea for the mountains?

I think with a 42x27+geared hub, 60rpms in easiest gear would be like 5mph? And 100rpms in hardest gear would be about 25mph.

I know on any downhill in the mountains, I'd be doing a lot of coasting.

Mostly I'm bored at work and thinking of building such a bike for fun :)

For one thing, if I went internal geared hub, then I can buy any old-school roadie whose rear spacing isn't enough for modern cassettes/drivetrains.

Or wait, how much spacing do these hubs require? Am I making a dumb assumption?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
all I have to say is doing 100 rpm and only 25 mph you will be coasting more than you think. Think about rolling terrain where you are getting up past that pretty regular. As far as cadence, that is something you could work on in the spring during base. My friend who is a pro XC guy told me that during the spring you should riding cadences, more often, that are not in your "comfort" zone. Go really high in flats, and really low on climbs...something around 70 rpms. It can help your body develop a wider range of cadences that you generate torque in

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
all I have to say is doing 100 rpm and only 25 mph you will be coasting more than you think.
Yeah, I guess you're right :( I'll put the idea on hold.

I suppose if I ever want to play with an internal gear hub in the mountains, I could always use compact cranks.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Probably my favorite commuter setup of all time is an oldish, steel road frame, with Shimano Nexus 8 rear hub built with a DT RR1.1 rim, rack with trunk pack, bright lights, and the air zound horn. Only issue with the Nexus 8 is the twist shifter, but with some creative mounting you can make it work out alright.

I built up a couple of Bianchi single speeds with the nexus8/dt rear wheel. In fact, the shop wasn't able to get enough hubs (shifters for the hubs actually) to satisfy demand. Whenever there'd be a bike like that in the shop, someone else would see it and want to be added to the waiting list.