Quantcast

International Herald Tribune Hates Lance

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/12/28/sports/bike05.php

Two years in a row Lance does not win their Cyclist of the Year. I guess two record setting win in the TdF does not count for much...

Funny, though. Boonen is my favorite rider, and even though he had an amazing year (Flanders, Roubaix, and the WC), it is hard to deny it to a retiring Lance.

I wonder if Lance were to return, what would be the repercussions in the press room.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I agree... retiring Lance? Come on.

However, I think it's that he's so focused on TdF almost to the exclusion to the rest of the sport. They should do points per podium for various victories. Weight 'em accordingly and let the points determine the cyclist of the year?

Or am I so ignorant as to not know they do this already?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
LordOpie said:
I agree... retiring Lance? Come on.

However, I think it's that he's so focused on TdF almost to the exclusion to the rest of the sport. They should do points per podium for various victories. Weight 'em accordingly and let the points determine the cyclist of the year?

Or am I so ignorant as to not know they do this already?
This isn't a BCS game (luckily). It is strictly an opinion of one publication that Lance was the second best rider that year.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
To be honest, I noticed Velonews also had Boonen as their top cyclist. Lance just won their North American award, but they put his face on cover of the newsstand editions.

However, IHT had it two years in a row with Lance not as the top cyclist.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Lance is the best Tour De France racer EVER. His GC record proves that. Is he the greatest cyclist ever? Not hardly. Is he even the best of the year? I don’t think so.