Quantcast

Internet availability? What to do?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
A friend of mine has a small business. He's located in an industrial park. Now I find this hard tobelieve, but he claims that there is no infrastructure in that park for any kind of high speed internet, (cable or DSL). I can't believe that every business in that industrial park is using dial-up. Are there any other options out there?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
sattelitte dialup. risse had to use that in redding as there were no other options in their industrial park either. It was ok...when it got really hot or really wet you lost a signal. Mega latency (1000+ ms), decent upload and download 15k up, 100k down

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
MMike said:
A friend of mine has a small business. He's located in an industrial park. Now I find this hard tobelieve, but he claims that there is no infrastructure in that park for any kind of high speed internet, (cable or DSL). I can't believe that every business in that industrial park is using dial-up. Are there any other options out there?
Kinda depends on where he is. There are point-to-point options that require an antenna pointed at another antenna somewhere remotely. Can't remember the names of the services, though.

Have him contact speakeasy.net - if it's at all near a CO in a relatively large city he should be able to get some form of DSL.

He could also look at ISDN.

-S.S.-

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Transcend said:
sattelitte dialup. risse had to use that in redding as there were no other options in their industrial park either. It was ok...when it got really hot or really wet you lost a signal. Mega latency (1000+ ms), decent upload and download 15k up, 100k down
The business is in St. Laurent, near Henri Bourassa.. He's been considering satellite.

I was talking to the IT guy here at work. He thinks my buddy should just rally the other companies in the area and get Videotron and/or sympatico to get off their asses. Sympatico (DSL) should be able to do a pretty easy harware swap on their end. But it would just require enough people to complain.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
SkaredShtles said:
Kinda depends on where he is. There are point-to-point options that require an antenna pointed at another antenna somewhere remotely. Can't remember the names of the services, though.

Have him contact speakeasy.net - if it's at all near a CO in a relatively large city he should be able to get some form of DSL.

He could also look at ISDN.

-S.S.-

What's ISDN?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ISDN is not fast at all tho! it's 64 or 128kbps, which would be 8 or 16 kB/s.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
ISDN is junk. he can look to get a commercial T1 line installed for about $1000 a month. Unshared 1mb in each direction. Basically a pricey cable connection that doesnt lag with better customer service.

Sympatico is like a plague, it is everywhere. If he calls them they can probably do a line card addition, as the park MUST have some sort of DSL in it by now.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Transcend said:
ISDN is junk. he can look to get a commercial T1 line installed for about $1000 a month. Unshared 1mb in each direction. Basically a pricey cable connection that doesnt lag with better customer service.

Sympatico is like a plague, it is everywhere. If he calls them they can probably do a line card addition, as the park MUST have some sort of DSL in it by now.
come on, now :D t1 == 1.536 mbps, no? shouldn't we all know that? hehe. just watch, i bet t1 standards are different in canada...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Transcend said:
ISDN is junk. he can look to get a commercial T1 line installed for about $1000 a month.<snip>.
Now, now. I *did* say old-skool broad-ishband. :D

And it oughta be alot less than a T1......

If they only want a website & email it'd be more than enough. As long as their ISP filtered spam and email with attachments >1mb. ;)

-S.S.-