Quantcast

internet bike selling Q

May 9, 2003
KENT'S EAST HILL
i sold a bike before in the states w/ no problems.
so i listed my mtb on pink bike and within a day got two bites from england. the first one was normal, how much, condition, pic's, blah blah. but the second one wanted alot of info "for my own shipper".
heres the message.

his name Samuel cameron
Hello,
I am interested in your [ Bike ] which you placed the advert at (www.pinkbike.com) I am located in London,will like to know more about it's present condition.You can forward it's picture to my mail box,you know i do need to see what am interested in buying.Also want you to tell me the actual price you want to sell it.
I will be glad to pay you by Certified Check issued from US Bank and will surely clear your bank immedeately without any delay. Do not worry about the shipment,i will arrange for the shipment with a shipping company i already know and they will takecare of the shipment fine.Most important,i need your full name and address in which the check for the payment will be made out and sent to,
Below are the details needed for payment:
Your Full Name: That will be on the
check for the payment
Residential Address:
City:
State:
Zipcode:
Phone Number: ( Cell,home and office phone #)
Those information are needed so that the payment can be made out and as well sent by one of the quickest courier services. so i want you to mail me back with the details requested above so that this transaction can be concluded as soon as possible. I shall look forward to read from you Quick Respond.
My Home address and phone are below....
19-20 Furnival Street,
London EC4A 1AB
United Kingdom.
+447031901961
Thank You.

does this sound strange or is it just me?

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I've had good luck selling bikes w/in the states as well. That sounds like a scam to me, I received 3 similar emails when I sold my Fly and more when I sold my uzzi. I just told them that for his protection and mine I would like to do the transaction via paypal. I never heard back from any of them and took it as a "Yes, I'm trying to screw you...."

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
that is a scammer for sure. I got the same one yesterday. look in the buy n sell section under bad sellers or scams for more examples.
scammers are pretty easy to spot, their format is somewhat standard.

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
In the past four months I have sold bikes to a guy in Germany, a dude in Moscow, and a gal in Italy. None of em sounded that stupid. My rule of overseas deals is 1. they need a paypal. 2. They need to prove established long term internet history (membership on a board like RM,ebay,Myspace, etc...) 3. Someone that they have dealt with befor needs to send me an email about the buyer. 4. Funds arive first.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
i got that exact same one too. how can someone be stupid enough to think people will fall for that? when someone gives u that much info in one e-mail u know somethin's up