Quantcast

Internet filtering???

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Seems like my school's really cracked down on internet usage this year. (First time accessing it since last year) and its already quite apparent that they mean business. :p They've blocked Hotmail, yahoo, msn, all sorts of sites (although it mostly bothers me that I can't access email and check my mtbr. :D ) Atleast I can still tentatively (sp?) access the monkey! :D :evil: And hopefully today I'll get my M3. :D

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I guess you could also get something like proxy+ or one of the other freeware proxies and put them on your home PC, then limit the addresses allowed to connect.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
manhattanprjkt83 said:
yeah i dont understand the filter of mail services, it isnt causing any IT problem.
Actually Yahoo mail and AOL and the like DO cause IT problems. The problem is that many people have virus infected e-mails that they open and save the attachments (virus) from. Many many people download and attempt to install the yahoo toolbar and such. Where I work (hospital) we block ALL internet access unless you are a doctor, or a bigwig manager. This is a new thing and the people are howling! "Waaaah I can't access my Yahoo mail!". My response: "And what business purpose do you have for accessing Yahoo mail?". That question is usually met with silence.

We IT folks mostly do things for a reason. We don't go through all the trouble blocking certain websites just because we're mean and bored. Though that does happen from time to time. :D

I imagine that in a university setting the main issue would be that when someone is using a PC to check their mail, another student is waiting to do their homework.

splat

Nam I am
Ciaran said:
We IT folks mostly do things for a reason.
Yeah Right!!! .... oh wait I'm an IT folk!!!

Ciaran said:
We don't go through all the trouble blocking certain websites just because we're mean and bored. Though that does happen from time to time. :D

:dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

You forgot about reading peoples Mail that gets caught in the Spam filter ( because of Profanity )! Now thats the Good stuff ! :thumb:

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
There are ways around filtering....... Start studying up and find one that works for your particular circumstance. One of the best ways is to setup a machine at home to use as a tunnel. Often someplace like a school (minor security) will block sites via their proxy however you will be wide open to TS to a box at home and surf in that terminal session. :thumb:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
splat said:
You forgot about reading peoples Mail that gets caught in the Spam filter ( because of Profanity )! Now thats the Good stuff ! :thumb:
I have access to everyones personal directory on our servers. (I'm a domain admin) I am always surprised at the amounts of personal things people keep on the servers. Letters to the other woman, passwords, financial info. People are dumb. And they wonder why we don't want them running around the internet unsupervised.

The best is finding pr0n on the doctors PC's. Well, the straight docs anyway. I don't have any need for gay pr0n.