Quantcast

Internet gold

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Whats worse though? Retards that don't know anything about the gear at all, or asshats that think they're smarter then all the companies out there making the gear?

Either way, I can see why companies avoid forums like the plague. Cept for Todd of course, which amazes me to this very day.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Whats worse though? Retards that don't know anything about the gear at all, or asshats that think they're smarter then all the companies out there making the gear?

Either way, I can see why companies avoid forums like the plague. Cept for Todd of course, which amazes me to this very day.
Mr. Intense is online too, Push, some from Specialized and I am sure there are more. It called social marketing and just turning the blind eye to the Internet is a big mistake.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Mr. Intense is online too, Push, some from Specialized and I am sure there are more. It called social marketing and just turning the blind eye to the Internet is a big mistake.
If a company is doing it purely as 'marketing' they are doing it wrong. I come here to RM and other sites b/c i love bikes, the scene, & the industry as a culture and way of life that is integral to my identity. My profession weaves in together with that culture and the result is my involvement. It's not pure marketing or customer service, those are by products of my involvement.

-ska todd

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
I'm not putting this in the lounge as that place is worse than accidentally going into the road forum.

Pure internet gold right here. I thought that this was only for the pinkbike 'tards but I guess MTBR is getting worse and worse by the day.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=550777
When was MTBR last valuable?

10 years ago?

15?

Anyone who participated in MTBR's early days in the mid 90s knows how sh!tty it became as soon as Francis & Gregg started appealing to "industry" and cracking down on criticism of favored "industry" players. This happened right after Francis started using advertisements.

A lot of people will tell me it's "unrealistic" or the like to assume that MTBR or any site should not use the "reality" of advertisement, etc., to keep a site running. Or they will say it's Francis's "baby" and therefore he can do what he likes with it.

MTBR has long been plagued with poseurs who imagine they know more than the mfrs. The biggest problem I see is that some of the mfrs now take those poseur phoques seriously. Dave Turner is one good example of a mfr whose ideas have been polluted by know-nothings commenting in the Turner forum on MTBR.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
If a company is doing it purely as 'marketing' they are doing it wrong. I come here to RM and other sites b/c i love bikes, the scene, & the industry as a culture and way of life that is integral to my identity. My profession weaves in together with that culture and the result is my involvement. It's not pure marketing or customer service, those are by products of my involvement.

-ska todd
I think we agree and you are good example of what social marketing should be. As no problem in using the word marketing and don't see that as something negative. Even the best product in the world needs marketing.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The funny thing is that a lot of the older users don't even notice the crap that happens there. A year ago it wasn't great but atleast no one told me that spec bikes are crap because their suspension was developed long ago (real argument).

And for damping - well I know one guy who needs to be told he has none to notice ;)