Quantcast

Internet Hernia Experts - Right this way

koffee

Chimp
Nov 30, 2004
I happen to work for a medical company in NH that designs and manufactures Hernia Mesh as well as drains and catheters. I have seen enough cases where you really want to fix a hernia. They do not heal on there own, It can only get worse.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I've had 2 hernia operations about 15 years apart, and for the first one, I was out of work for 2 weeks and could barely move after the surgery. The second one, about 3 years ago, I was out of work a week and only felt mild discomfort for a day or two. Second one was distended, so arthroscopic was out of the question.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Thanks for the info folks. I don't understand the medical jargon. Disterned? What do you mean by that? Mine is not where the intestine is protruding. I wouldn't put up with that for 5 minutes. It's just pain for now. I'm doing lots of pilates exercises out of the hernia bible. It seems to help with the pain, but doesn't appear to make it go away. I've been doing it 30 min a day for 2 months or whatever.

Well, time to go back to the doc, 1 more time, before I switch doctors.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Failure on our current meshes is really low, I think around the 2% you mentioned. Can't speak on meshes from other companies. Supposedly some of the new ones are even more reliable.

FWIW, most of the mesh failures are caused by patients being too active too soon. Very rarely will the mesh fail on its own.
Now someone said "your junk may turn black"
I've had 2 hernia operations about 15 years apart, and for the first one, I was out of work for 2 weeks and could barely move after the surgery. The second one, about 3 years ago, I was out of work a week and only felt mild discomfort for a day or two. Second one was distended, so arthroscopic was out of the question.
I've had a several verysignificant surgeries due to a scooter accident (19 year old running a stop sign + running me over = "major multiple trauma"). First major surgery was an exploratory where my abdomen was cut open pretty much from my sternum to my pelvis and left open for 10 days while the Docs waited for all the internal bleeding to stop. By the time they were able to sew me back up I had swollen to the point where the Doc was unable to get my muscle layer back together, so they put some mesh in to fill the gap untill such time as they could go back in and stitch the muscles up properly. I had what my Doc called "the worlds largest surgical hernia" I spent almost exactly a year looking like I was 8 months pregnant with a severely distended belly. My final surgery was the Hernia closure where I finally had all my muscles (and belly button which spent a year about an inch too far to the right) put back where they belonged, everything was then reinforced up with a second round of mesh. I spent a week in the hospital for that, and a month off of work. So, given the severity of my hernia, I would think that a smaller one, especially if they could do it orthoscopically, shouldn't take much more than a week of recovery time. My ding-ding did turn black, and my sack, and a good portion of my pelvis, so be prepared. Everything now is back to its usual pathetic white self.
I ride a lot, and am pretty active, and have not experienced any sort of "mesh failure". I did take a lot of time off though and took it real easy when I started getting active again. If you take it slow, you'll be fine.

Pics:
1. New "alternative personal transportation"
2. Accident scene. The tail lights in the middle of the pic are how far down the road the B!tch went after running my a$$ over
3. My Hernia.
4. My "new" belly. Only decent pic I could find. Still have a little bit of a gut, but hell, I'm 31 and drink beer. Often.

Attachments

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Holy Crap man. Hope your doing ok now.

Here Ye Here Ye !!!!

Went back to the doc the other day. Turns out what was once a hernia is now a hip flexor strain / injury.

the doc dug her fingers under the inner hip, or pelvis area and I almost hit the roof. My leg also goes numb when I drive a long distance too. So perhaps she hit it on the nose.

I been doing exercizes, pilates daily but she gave me some different ones to do. We'll see how it works out. I still can't understand why it hurts when I sing, does that make any sense?

Experts?

Tracer Tong

Chimp
Mar 21, 2009
This is going to sound like insane hippy energy healing green earth babble but, when I had those same symptoms, I had them for over a year, the thing that finally made them go away was eating lots of probiotic yogurt.

Now, I may have had a different condition, but I had the same symptoms.