Quantcast

Internet/Network Help

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
Hey guys.... I set up a wireless network in my house and it will work for everyone but me.

I have a linksys router and linksys wireless USB adapter. (It was all working fine at one point.) I cannot get my computer to connect to the network. When I go into my computers network settings or available networks (I'm not computer savvy) the only icon there is for a wired LAN network. (I can hook my computer up to the internet fine with a cable.) There used to be an icon for a wireless network but there isn't anymore and I don't know how to get one.... The network monitor from linksys says that it is connected to the network as well.... but my computer almost doesn't recognize it.

Ideas? If you have questions for me I will answer them the best that I can.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
there's quite a few wireless threads here, but i think they deal with problems on existing connections. could be wrong...

ok, try these things, one at a time & see if things get back to normal:
- reboot router (usually just re-cycle power if you can't log on to it)
- check if you can see other wireless networks (neighbors, hotspots, etc.)
- make sure in Network Connections you have a "Wireless Network Connection" under your "LAN or High-Speed Internet" group

if you're like me, you've probably overlooked something stupid, like not pushing that button on your laptop that enables the wireless.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
Check and Check on the first two, no on the last. I sat with Linksys for almost 2 hours and they couldn't figure it out because there stuff is working perfectly. I swore at my computer for several more hours trying to figure out why I didn't have a "wireless network connection" icon where it should be. I don't know where it went, or how to get it back. Haha

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Start/Settings/Control Panel, double click System, choose the Hardware tab, click Device Manager. Click the little plus sign next to Network Adapters, see if there's a wireless network adapter there (it'll say Linksys on it).

If yes, then: Start/Settings/Control Panel, double click Administrative Tools, double click Services, and scroll to the bottom and see if Wireless Zero Configuration says Started next to it.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
Start/Settings/Control Panel, double click System, choose the Hardware tab, click Device Manager. Click the little plus sign next to Network Adapters, see if there's a wireless network adapter there (it'll say Linksys on it).

If yes, then: Start/Settings/Control Panel, double click Administrative Tools, double click Services, and scroll to the bottom and see if Wireless Zero Configuration says Started next to it.
The device is listed and I have already done the "Start Zero Config" and it did not work..... I hate computers. :disgust:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I assume the USB adapter came with drivers, or you can download them from the Linksys website... try reinstalling those, along with any software that may have come with it.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I did that as well. The USB adapter itself is functioning fine. I have an icon in my program tray and it says that it is connected to the network and receiving a good signal... but it still won't actually work wirelessly.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I did that as well. The USB adapter itself is functioning fine. I have an icon in my program tray and it says that it is connected to the network and receiving a good signal... but it still won't actually work wirelessly.
this sounds a little like the problems i was having recently, especially the whole linksys adapter and "it used to work fine" elements of your ordeal.

see if what helped me could also help you: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195749

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ah, somehow I didn't pick that up the first time around.

Start/Run, type "cmd"

Type "ipconfig". Note the IP address next to "Default Gateway."

Type "ping <ip address>" where <ip address> is whatever was next to Default Gateway. E.g. "ping 192.168.0.1"

Does that work or do the pings timeout?