Quantcast

Interval Training

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Anyone have success with interval training? And by success, I mean see a noticeable improvement in fitness and climbing ability on the trails?

I generally eat healthy meals, ride 3 times a week, and go to the gym for upper body / situps 2 times a week, and my trail riding fitness level sucks. It has all year, and I need to do something to improve. :help:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Interval training will help increase your overall speed but should be only a small part of your overall fitness training. From what little you describe - I don't think interval training is what you need now - you need base miles and endurance work.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I think I have improved greatly from intervals. I do hill intervals religiously every Tuesday. While it's hard to point a finger at exactly WHAT causes my improvement, I would have to say the intervals play a big part. If you're looking for overall better fitness, just focus on riding more.

You don't NEED a road bike, you can just do more trail riding. Maybe pick a ride with a hill and do a few repeats of that hill during your ride. :thumb:

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
well of course he doesnt NEED a road bike, Its just an excuse to buy more toys. :blah: I do agree with SM about base miles, would you build a house without a good foundation? I think not........:)