Quantcast

Interview with Evans

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
It looks like Valverde is going to be some competition for him at the Tour, I hope its as exciting as last year......I suspect I'll be disappointed though

http://www.velonews.com/article/77428/evans-takes-inspiration-from-indurain

As Cadel Evans takes aim at becoming the first Australian to win the Tour de France, he is finding inspiration from the first rider to win five in a row: Miguel Indurain.

Evans says that he’ll try to follow Big Mig’s proven model of taking gains in the time trials and defending in the mountains.

“The way I rode the Tour last year was a bit like how Indurain did it. I only took back time in the time trials,” Evans said Wednesday. “I’d like to be able to take time in the climbs as well, but when you have two of the best climbers in the world working against you, like I did in last year’s Tour, it’s not always easy. It’s not like I’m scared to attack, it’s just that I don’t always have the legs.”

It might not be the attack-riddled excitement that fans and the media clamor over, but Silence-Lotto team boss Marc Sergeant says it’s the most effective tactic considering Evans overall consistency.

“That strongest fact of Cadel is that he’s consistent. If it’s time trialing or in the mountains, he’s always there. That’s his big secret,” Sergeant said. “Indurain would gain two or three minutes in the time trials and he could ride defensively. You don’t have to attack to win. (Alberto) Contador won the Giro without attacking.”

The 31-year-old doesn’t have much more room to improve for the 2008 Tour.

After making methodical and steady progress in the past three Tours – climbing from eighth in 2005, fifth in 2006 and second in 2007 – there’s only one place to go if he wants to keep his improvement streak alive.

“It doesn’t take a mathematician to work it out if I want to continue with my progress,” Evans said with a smile Wednesday. “We’re going for the win. It feels good to be in this position.”

Evans said he’s been working on an improved time trial position as well as his climbing prowess as he takes aim at the overall title.

“We’ve been working hard on all the little details that could add up to seconds, if not minutes, in Paris,” said Evans, who was second in last year’s Tour by 23 seconds to Spain’s Alberto Contador.

Concerning Contador’s absence from this year’s Tour, Evans said curtly, “I don’t make the rules, I just abide by them.”

Knee injury improved
Evans spoke with journalists Wednesday evening following Stage 3 in the Dauphiné Libére, where he finished third in the 31km individual time trial behind surprise winner Alejandro Valverde (Caisse d’Epargne).

“He’s improved a lot. In last year’s Tour first time trial, I think he lost four minutes (ed – 6:08 to winner Vinokourov, 4:46 to Evans), so that’s a very good improvement, but we’ll see how it goes in the Tour,” Evans said. “That’s been his weakness, or his lesser strength, because he seems like a well-balanced rider.”

Most important for Evans so far through the opening days of the Dauphiné is that he’s riding without pain in his left knee.

Evans was thrown for a scare last month when he was forced to make changes in his Tour preparations after efforts to break-in a new time trial position resulted in tendonitis during a training camp in Spain.

“I wasn’t panicking, but I started to worry about falling behind in my preparation. I was concentrated on getting over the injury and getting back on track for the Tour,” he said. “Now it’s back at a good level. We had to adapt to a new time trial position and the way my body reacted to it, it developed into tendonitis for the first time in my life as a professional cyclist. It seems to be gone now. I have my finger’s crossed and I can move on.”

Evans guessed he was at “6.5 out of 10” on his fitness level right now, but said he will increase his work load in the coming weeks, with special training camps in the mountains to prepare for the Tour.

New pressure
A big difference for Evans this year is that he will enter the Tour as one of the top favorites for victory and the pressure that comes with one.

One way he’s coping with that newfound pressure is counting more than ever on his Silence-Lotto teammates and staff.

Four years ago, the Belgian team was focused on winning cycling’s one-day classics or sprints with Aussie pocket rocket, Robbie McEwen.

Now it’s slowly evolved into a Tour candidate thanks to changes encouraged by Evans.

The team will be traveling with its own chef and Evans will even employ the same bodyguard Lance Armstrong used during the final years of his seven-year Tour reign.

“When you’re looking to improve in that last half-percent, you have to look at the details,” Evans said. “We’ve come a long way. This team has been working hard on this project for four years and now it’s all coming together. We’re a Tour-winning caliber team now.”

Evans said he has a two-year extension on the table from Silence-Lotto and said it’s too early to speak about a rumored all-Australian team anytime soon.

“There’s been a lot of talk, not quite enough euros. We have the riders in Australia to field a good team, but all good things cost money,” Evan said. “We’ve been working four years here on a good thing. I’d like to continue on that progression. These have been the most enjoyable years of my career as a cyclist. I think it’s the best way to win the Tour as well. Maybe in five or six years time, I’d like to be on an Aussie team if they wanted someone with some experience.”

With his profile on the rise back home, Evans said it was “an honor” that Australia is taking notice of the Tour and his efforts to become the first Aussie to win.

“They’re becoming a bit nuts for the Tour,” he said. “I’m proud in that respect to bring attention to cycling to Australia. Aussies love sport, but cycling isn’t part of our culture, so it’s a little bit of an honor.”

Australian television broadcast the Tour live for the first time last year. Ratings are sure to go through the roof if he’s riding in contention for the win come July.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I tend to think of Cadel as I think of Levi. Sure, they are talented, but they have no emotion in them and they lack the fighting spirit it seems to take. I like a winner to win, not just hand around and kind of fall onto the podium. Take Soler for example, that dude gets HUGE respect from me.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I tend to think of Cadel as I think of Levi. Sure, they are talented, but they have no emotion in them and they lack the fighting spirit it seems to take. I like a winner to win, not just hand around and kind of fall onto the podium. Take Soler for example, that dude gets HUGE respect from me.
I agree, Soler has the balls to go for it and I like riders like that. Cadel's plan to gain time in the time trials and hold on in the mountains will be boring to watch

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Evans seems to be a bit of a prick. Quick to blame his team for lack of help but doesn't do much to help his team. I think he might find this year a little harder without a guy like Horner who will go and work no matter what.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I agree, Soler has the balls to go for it and I like riders like that. Cadel's plan to gain time in the time trials and hold on in the mountains will be boring to watch
Exactly. I want action, that's why I don't like Cadel or Levi really. I know they are just being "safe" but I like hero's.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I agree that a rider with an attacking style is more fun and exciting to watch. But jeez, with a few exceptions for the asshats, pretty much all the elite riders get huge respect from me - for pure athleticism if nothing else. And it's kind of a stretch to say that anyone who wins one of the top races was just hanging around or has no fighting spirit. They might not outwardly show it but every last one of these riders is fighting a huge battle out there.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Evans has been at odds with his team a little bit this past year. He might have a tougher time without someone like Horner who will just go out an work no matter what.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I agree that a rider with an attacking style is more fun and exciting to watch. But jeez, with a few exceptions for the asshats, pretty much all the elite riders get huge respect from me - for pure athleticism if nothing else. And it's kind of a stretch to say that anyone who wins one of the top races was just hanging around or has no fighting spirit. They might not outwardly show it but every last one of these riders is fighting a huge battle out there.
I agree and all, I ain't saying the Tour is easy! I just want a hero. Will you be my hero?