Quantcast

Into the Mild

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Be very, very careful. And check here before going:

http://utahavalanchecenter.org/advisory/moab
yeah looked at that last night. I am not going to take any chances, trust me, I am wuss. I am going to go talk to a ranger today about the endeavor & I am going to post a note on the bulletin board here at the hostel that I am looking for a partner, so I am not alone.

Going to ride today. Sovereign or Bartlett Wash or both. As for tomorrow or the next few days....still figuring it out.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Sovereign is a mess & the road to BW is nasty even if you have 4wd. did amasa back instead. awesome trail but it ate my RDR & hanger. :rant: every time I come to moab I have the ****tiest mechanical issues last time i had to replace a crank arm after Porc Rim. :rant:

The good new is....it happened at the top so I got to use gravity for the return. Still a fing great ride. I have to say I feel a little sketchy riding alone out here.

pics to come....

OH yeah...i got those awesome desert boogers that can cut glass. yeah.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Sovereign is a mess & the road to BW is nasty even if you have 4wd. did amasa back instead. awesome trail but it ate my RDR & hanger. :rant: every time I come to moab I have the ****tiest mechanical issues last time i had to replace a crank arm after Porc Rim. :rant:
Chili Pepper bike shop. They'll treat you right. Right next to the brewery, too... so you could drop in there and have a few... sodas or something while CP is fixing your ride.

The good new is....it happened at the top so I got to use gravity for the return.
Living a charmed life. Last fall when we were up there one of the group had the same thing happen... right around the pipe-crossing.
Still a fing great ride. I have to say I feel a little sketchy riding alone out here.
Quit being a huge pvssy. ;)

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
here are some shots...finally getting caught up with my uploads....

Skiing at Snow Mt. Ranch near Tabernash, CO.

road beer from the awesome beer barn.

Skiing at Powderhorn.

Them lifts are slow....like WI ski hill slow. But a good time.

Snowshoeing with a law professor I met at the hostel in Winter Park. Interesting guy & an all around good fella'.

Snowshoeing Grand Mesa with DNA his woman & his bud justin. good peeps.

Good Peeps.

At hanging Lake. Brutal hike in the snow/slush/slick ****.

Ahhhh....Moab. :cupidarrow:
All pics from Amasa.

Frikkn MOAB. :rant: ;)

FRIKKIN MOAB!!!! :rant: :D

Last edited:

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
You got lost on Amasa Back? Frikkin' n00B! :rofl:
I was like "surely, I am not supposed top be hiking my bike through these boulders for this long." after about a half mile.

OH!
I saw a rock slide across the river from my campsite today. Totally fn nuts. Loud as **** too!

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Where are you camping? In that first campground upriver from town?
I cant remember the name of the road, but it is the kings bottom campground on the green river. south end of town. near amasa & the rim trail heads.

heading to AZ today since moab ate a chunk of my bike& it is too late/early to hike a summit in the la sals.

Now its time to see the one sight every american should see.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Whatevs, geezer. :D

Did 12 miles with 3k feet of vertical yesterday in Zion. F'n A that place is breath taking. Great day of hiking. hiked down with a climber who was recovering from a wicked injury, broken back, brain swelling & hemoraging, many broken bones, & it happened 6 mos. ago. this dude was something else. hiked sorta barefoot but used a protector shoe thing cuz of the snow. Cool dude. Met lots of great people so far.

Did Bryce had a scary close call with a rockslide. the canyon was covered with 5' snow drifts. hiking was sweet. I gave a rousing speech to the hoodoos. They have been motivated so watch out.

No place I have been so far is as beautiful as Zion. Goddammit that place moves me to tears.

going to see a big hole in the ground tomorrow & look into doing an over nighter in it.

pics will be uploaded soon.

Any monkeys' in N. AZ?

Last edited:

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Went to the Crand Canyon today. Got mixed emotions. goddamn it is impressive but the scene at the rim was abrassive. I did have a funny conversation with an older Japanese couple....i am pretty sure they were fukking with me. Going skiing tomorrow.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
After Sedona I will be heading back east...but taking my time. gonna find a bike shop there. :D
After Sedona I am going back to Moab & then to Orvis hotsprings near Ouray....i cant wait to soak. :thumb:

this pic is for SteveW.
dropped VW with a trippy paint job at Powderhorn. :D

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
random pics so far....heading home soon, gonna be there by friday. have lots more pics to upload.

Riding in Sedona.

Sedona.

Zion from Observation Point.

Big ol' hole in the ground in Northern Arizona.

Hiking on a cinder cone near Flag.

Little Co River Gorge.

All of my stuff (bike on top).

More Sedona. It was supposed to rain, but I dodged it.

Another one of Zion.

Weather moving into Monument Valley.

Open.

View from my camp site.

Rider in Moab. LOOK OUT FOR THAT JEEP!!!!

These sheep grazed right past my campsite.

I rode Fruita earlier this week & then spent some time soaking at Orvis Hot Springs, no I am about to skiing with DNA at Sunlight.

The trip has been great, but I am ready to see L.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Went to Sunlight with TN today. By dumb luck I showed up on "Free lift ticket for teachers" day. The bottom was a little icey but the top had fresh snow and more coming. I was worn out around 2:30 and called it a day. TN stayed for a few more runs.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Went to Sunlight with TN today. By dumb luck I showed up on "Free lift ticket for teachers" day. The bottom was a little icey but the top had fresh snow and more coming. I was worn out around 2:30 and called it a day. TN stayed for a few more runs.

Aren't you glad your trailer is now TN Negative? :rofl:

skiing today was fun. the snow got better the later it got...i hated to leave. My last run was just about untracked. they shut down the lift that I was going to ride after you left. that is OK. I got in over 10 miles of skiing today. :thumb:

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Back now & in teh swing of things...whatever that is these days.
done lots of hiking & riding since getting back. I planned it perfectly & got back in town after the ****ty wx was over here in WI.

I had a great trip & mets lots of cool people on the way. It was definitely an experience of a lifetime. I got so much out of the trip, I feel like a new man.

anyway....here is a pic of DNA on the lifts...he wouldnt ride up with me cuz, i guess he had that big stupid board strapped to his feet instead of skis.

had a great day at sunlight. it was snowing so much I hated to leave. great last day of the season.

stats-
gone for 24 days
miles driven 5,400+
nights camped 8
nights in hostels 14
nights in hotels (on the way west & home)2
nights slept in car 2/3rd (drunk in Flag)
days skied (lift served)3
days skied (xc) 1
days snowshoeing 3
miles hiked ? lots
days hiking lots
days riding 3 (amassa in moab, bunch of trails in Sedona near Bells Rock, chutes & ladders in Fruita)
NP visited-
RMNP
CO Natl Monument
Arches NP
Zion NP
Bryce Canyon NP
GCNP
wakiputi natl monument
sunset crater natl monument

Last edited:

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Last day of the season?!? :(
I think they were shutting down at sunlight that weekend.

It was a stellar season for me. xc skied tons & got in some 3 nice DH days out west on the cheap tip thanks to you. cheers BTW...I used 2 of the coupons you sent me & saved about $75. :thumb:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

It was a stellar season for me. xc skied tons & got in some 3 nice DH days out west on the cheap tip thanks to you. cheers BTW...I used 2 of the coupons you sent me & saved about $75. :thumb:
Well done! I'll ski a few runs in your honor this weekend. They're talking that a storm may come through Fri-Sat. :monkeydance:

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH

Nice pic. Sunlight stayed open for another weekend after the snow we got that day and the next couple.

You know damn well why I didn't want to get on the same lift. I was a frikkin' menace with that board.