Quantcast

intro to bmx...

Jensen

Monkey
Apr 30, 2007
UC/SLO,ca
so ive been DH'ing for 4 years, and stumbled across my old bmx'er from my HS days cleaning at my parents house today. cleaned it all up and cruised around and had a blast at the local track. The bike i have is a
GT Dyno VFR. i was going to throw my clipless pedals on it (because its the only way to ride) and found the pedal threads are diff. WTF. so my question is, can i buy new cranks that will fit this bike? would it be cheaper longrun to buy a new bike? ride this until it dies then upgrade? any reviews of the DK fury 24"? looks like a good bike for good price. somehting with a longer tt is ideal, as im between 6-4 and 6-5. thanks guys!

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
so ive been DH'ing for 4 years, and stumbled across my old bmx'er from my HS days cleaning at my parents house today. cleaned it all up and cruised around and had a blast at the local track. The bike i have is a
GT Dyno VFR. i was going to throw my clipless pedals on it (because its the only way to ride) and found the pedal threads are diff. WTF. so my question is, can i buy new cranks that will fit this bike? would it be cheaper longrun to buy a new bike? ride this until it dies then upgrade? any reviews of the DK fury 24"? looks like a good bike for good price. somehting with a longer tt is ideal, as im between 6-4 and 6-5. thanks guys!
a dyno vfr is way too short of a frame for you. it probably has a 20" top tube at the most, more likely a 19". you need at least a 21" tt, but probably a 21.5", maybe even a macneil 22". look at options on www.empirebmx.com

i don't know what your goals are. but if you're mainly into jumping, some bmx track, etc. then i strongly recommend a 24" bmx cruiser. the comfort level, especially for jumping, is so much better when you fit your bike. unfortunately the DK is on the short side. mine felt a lot better with an XXL stem on it. i had a haro backtrail cruiser for a little bit and it was roomier. if you want a real XL cruiser frame, you're gonna have to build it up. the stock bikes are pretty much one size fits all. check out brooklyn machine works. or ebay.

hell you might even like a 26" like the volume sledgehammer or texas fireman's cruiser. course if you're going with 26" wheels, might as well come back around to a dirt jump mtb hardtail single speed with 100mm travel fork.

lastly, if you're riding bmx, FORGET ABOUT CLIP IN SHOES. nobody, except for a fringe subset of bmx racers, clips in. get a good concave platform--i still ride primo tenderizers http://www.albes.com/browseproducts/PRIMO-SUPER-TENDERIZER-PEDALS.HTML . but there are a lot of newer lighter ones out. once again, check www.empirebmx.com

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
You have generic 1-piece cranks.

Get a big 24" bike for your height. Hell, at 6' 1" my 21" TT bike feels great for pure street.

Jensen

Monkey
Apr 30, 2007
UC/SLO,ca
anyone wanna recomend bikes then? should i be looking more at soemthing like a SC chameleon? or more on the bmx end of things?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Recommendations:

1. Santa Cruz Jackal.

2. Blackmarket MOB - 22.5" top tube (the longest they have)
http://www.blackmarketbikes.com/mob.html
after you're done building it up: $1500 - $2000 !!!

3. DK XENIA - get last year's model COMPLETE for only about $550 (normal $650). the best investment I ever made cuz it got me into 26"s. all around dirt jump single speed mtb. some people might complain about the dirt jam pro forks, but mine have been great for a year and a half and I'm 6'1" 195 lbs and been jumping on it. http://www.dkbicycles.com/bikes/bikes.html
You will want to immediately get a longer stem. I went with a 70mm. You could go with 50mm (the typical DJ stem). The stock one is super short--maybe only 35mm or something.

4. KONA Scrap/Stuff. Different frame sizes available. You can obviously go with the bigger one. Back end is not as short as it could be. If you want real quick bmx-ish handling as far as bunnyhops and manualing, this is not the bike. Try the Giant STP.

5. Volume Sledgehammer. 26" wheel rigid fork bmx cruiser.
http://www.volumebikes.com/bikes-sh.html
Very affordable. Comfortable for tall guys. Not agile for 360's, tailwhips etc.

6. Haro Backtrail 24" bmx cruiser. -- Affordable, good stock parts.
http://www.harobikes.com/bmx/bikes/backtrail_x24.php
If you want freestyle features on a cruiser like a gyro, and thick axles and dropouts you can put pegs on, then this or the DK General Lee is the way to go. I think the Backtrail may be a little roomier. For your height I recommend taller bars than usually come stock on 24" cruisers. (They're usually 4" or 5". I think you would like 6"-7" better). You might also want a longer stem. In bmx, 50mm reach is average.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
If you're just putzing around on the bike for fun it's not necessary to go out and spend a ton of money. (don't let me dissuade you if you want to put together a new bike, though)

If you're dead set on putting clipless pedals on this bike you will need to upgrade the cranks. Anything made for an american or standard bmx bottom bracket will work. You'll need 9/16" pedal thread. Your current crank has 1/2".