Quantcast

Introducing the Appalache Real, reborn Balfa BB7

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Bulldog said:
Didn't you argue the other side when it came to old Marzocchi forks with bolted arches and crowns vs the new one piece and press-fit technology?
no i never brought up stiffness in that case, the deal there was stress risers in the pinch-bolt design and how its a heavier design vs. single cast piece. The weight factor in the swingarms case could be debatable since its a different type structure, but the point is there arent any generalities and many ways to skin the cat. Bolted structures are obviously very viable, just look around, welding is more of a structural rarity.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
ohio said:
By the way I completely disagree with BOTH of you that bolted is any more or less stiff than welding. Loose bolts are a very different thing than flex, and flex/stiffness comes from the whole member, not just the interface of two parts.
i never said it would be stiffer, i simply said it could be stiffer to refute his concern. Using the stiffness of the fastener and the preload involved in keeping it tight can certainly increase stiffness; a great deal of bolt specifications are based on calculating joint stiffness and load seperation. And of course you can make some awful designs as well.....

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
So the bike is available?
I want full geo #'s, pricing and contact information.

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
I've got the only one on the west coast, just waiting to build her up.

I've owned 3 BB7's in the past and loved each one. This frame is highly evolved from the industrial looking BB7. Its 10lbs with a 6 Way and 8.5lbs without a shock. I'm planning on putting an air shock on there and building this baby up light. Not only that, but mostly all the weight is right at the BB area, making the front and back noticeably light. Part of the reason for the 135 rear end is for weight savings. The less unsprung weight back there the better (if you can do it). With the steel rear end, there isn't any stiffness issues and it just slices through the tight stuff.

For the next batch, there's going to be a choice of a Manitou 6 Way, a 4 Way air, or a Revox. It will come in white, black, or red powdercoat and maybe a 4th color after that. Jerome knows...

As soon as my buddy Dom from Yodo Distribution told me about Appalache coming on board, I had to jump all over it so now I'm on board as a rep.

Attachments

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
you got a carbon mud guard for that hole near the shock??

nice looking bike.

edit

wait, it also looks like because of that mounting bolt at the bottom of the shock is going to hit a chain guide that fits there. so i have to move the guide out further then that....

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
DHS said:
you got a carbon mud guard for that hole near the shock??

nice looking bike.

edit

wait, it also looks like because of that mounting bolt at the bottom of the shock is going to hit a chain guide that fits there. so i have to move the guide out further then that....
Well, the proper size bottom bracket for the frame will need the chainguide spaced out past that bolt. So it's not a problem.

I am curious why you don't run the shock with the reservoir at the bottom, like on the bb7... Does it not fit that way?

mike425

Monkey
Apr 16, 2004
Really like the look of the new bike. Im a bit confused as too who actually owns it now though! The UK distributer of balfa uses a british DH forum and i was under the impression that he had bought the rights? Including all the remaining stock of balfa and that he also owned Appallache?

cheers

mike

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
mike425 said:
Really like the look of the new bike. Im a bit confused as too who actually owns it now though! The UK distributer of balfa uses a british DH forum and i was under the impression that he had bought the rights? Including all the remaining stock of balfa and that he also owned Appallache?

cheers

mike
no the ex-Balfa guys started a new company called Appallache. Balfa was sold to Procycle which later turned the company to vapour. Whatever was left was bought by that UK contigient.

mike425

Monkey
Apr 16, 2004
arrr rite, thanks for clearing that up. Strange the way the UK guys have been making it out then! They have one built up in their shop i think, might have to go and check it out

cheers

mike

Dufault01

Chimp
Nov 10, 2005
I rode that bike a few months ago. Ive owned two bb7s in the past and from what I can remember it pretty much rode the same only it was lighter. It had the same travel feeling and pedaling as the bb7. Unfortunatly it was also still flexy in the rear end. It was really the only reason why I would of thought twice about racing one. I could feel that when I pumped out of the turns that the rear end was loosing power when compared the the pdc the I was comparing it to or my Commencal.

AOK

Chimp
Jan 24, 2005
Finland
We got a few of them to Europe and I managed to buy one. There have been alot of small refinements compared to my old (´03) BB7, in addition to the weight loss.
The geometry has changed alittle:I ran my BB7 with 7in boxxers (a-c height was 550mm), but with the Appalache the head angle felt a little steep. I got a ´04 888r (a-c height 595mm) but now the cockpit and the bb are alittle too high. I'm waiting for a Travis to go with it. Do any of you have the exact a-c height of the 8in DC Travis?
Other changes on the frame are: the shock adjustments are easier to reach. The pulley wheel has changed and is now at the pivot. I think that the chain length has decreased as I used to have one whole Sram chain and four extra links on the BB7, but with the Appalache I used just one whole chain.

I've had a few rides on her and she feels so good. The ride is pretty much the same as the old BB7, but it feels lighter. If you've ridden a BB7 and liked that then you're gonna love the Appalache.

The frame
Here is a pic of it with the old boxxers.

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
^ That's looks sweet! If it rides like a BB7 but lighter, I'm happy. I've owned a V10, a Devinci Ollie, and 3 BB7's and I'd put the BB7 up against either of the others. Actually, the Devinci was not the best DH bike but I'd attribute that to the rear shock.

I think 66 degrees for a H/A is not steep, I'd prefer 65, but 66 works well for any course (and we've got the steepest, fastest courses you'll ever ride).

What I really missed about the BB7 was how well it handled square edge hits - just as good or better than the V10 for sure.

AOK: have you considered trying an air shock?

AOK

Chimp
Jan 24, 2005
Finland
My BB is at 15in with a '04 888 and the original tall crowns all the way to the lowest possible position (axle to crown 595mm=23,4in). I'm hoping to drop the bb alittle with a Travis closer to the 14,5in mark.

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
15+ inches is not high for a bike designed the way this one is. Mostly all the weight is right at the BB or slightly above, so it feels low. Plus, static sag is 40% of total travel.

Canadian MSRP is $3800, but like it states, that's only suggested. A shop would realistically sell it for anywhere from $2500-$3000.