Quantcast

Introducing the new Twenty6 stem

May 25, 2006
First bolt on stem that has made me want one, any idea of the cost?

Too bad, I still think I would rather turn my bars than bend something or have my stanchions twist in the crowns or anything else like that... re-centering bars is pretty quick and easy with a normal stem.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
What are the lengths? What's the height like compared to some other stems on the market? Does it come in black w/o the etching?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
What are the lengths? What's the height like compared to some other stems on the market? Does it come in black w/o the etching?
It's adjustable from 45,50 &55mm with a zero degree rise. I don't know if it comes without the etching. I'm not sure how available these stems are right now. It's flippin lite too.

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
Thats a thing of beauty, and lighter than the Sunline direct. Let the people know once he decides on price.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I bet its going to be spendy. Everything from Tyler is a little spendy, but worth it.

I hope he makes one for an 888.

SPDR

Monkey
Apr 21, 2006
Engerland
It's adjustable from 45,50 &55mm with a zero degree rise.
What's a zero degree rise? Why do manufacturers quote that anymore? Can't we have a mm measurement from the base to the centre line? Would make so much more sense!

Nice looking stem - like the etching. If I didn't have a Sunline I'd consider it.

Oct 14, 2007
First bolt on stem that has made me want one, any idea of the cost?

Too bad, I still think I would rather turn my bars than bend something or have my stanchions twist in the crowns or anything else like that... re-centering bars is pretty quick and easy with a normal stem.
that's bull, the stem bolts would break much before the actual crown

May 25, 2006
that's bull, the stem bolts would break much before the actual crown
...and your point is?

No need to call anything I said "bull", re-read what I wrote.

I voiced my reasons for not jumping to a bolt on stem, and I think they are all valid reasons as someone who has his share of unscheduled dismounts. I'd love to run one of these stems, but it just might not make sense for me which is a real shame.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
maybe calling your opinion bull was a bad thing to say everyone is entitled to there opinion. All i can say is try an integrated stem and you won't go back. It just removes any doubt about bars not being straight. After a crash you just get up and ride off no messin around with trying to straighten your bars etc. Down side is i've seen the bolts snap and a rider eat the ground pretty damn hard.

Oct 14, 2007
...and your point is?

No need to call anything I said "bull", re-read what I wrote.

I voiced my reasons for not jumping to a bolt on stem, and I think they are all valid reasons as someone who has his share of unscheduled dismounts. I'd love to run one of these stems, but it just might not make sense for me which is a real shame.
granted there was some venom in that, my bad, but im just saying, using an excuse like you don't want to run a direct mount stem because of a fear of twisting the stanchions in the crown doesn't really justify the means of not wanting to use one...but anyhow

the way i look at it, usually when you ride, you get all sweaty and when you crash you have to take the old allen key set from your pocket...being all hot and sweaty and re align...when your friends are already a few paces a head...just simpler get up and ride and beat them...lol

May 25, 2006
maybe calling your opinion bull was a bad thing to say everyone is entitled to there opinion. All i can say is try an integrated stem and you won't go back. It just removes any doubt about bars not being straight. After a crash you just get up and ride off no messin around with trying to straighten your bars etc. Down side is i've seen the bolts snap and a rider eat the ground pretty damn hard.
I wasn't taking offense with him having his own opinion... it just had no bearing on what I had said. I think it was mostly just a matter of a simple misreading/misunderstanding of what I had said.

May 25, 2006
granted there was some venom in that, my bad, but im just saying, using an excuse like you don't want to run a direct mount stem because of a fear of twisting the stanchions in the crown doesn't really justify the means of not wanting to use one...but anyhow

the way i look at it, usually when you ride, you get all sweaty and when you crash you have to take the old allen key set from your pocket...being all hot and sweaty and re align...when your friends are already a few paces a head...just simpler get up and ride and beat them...lol
For me, it does justify it. After all, what takes longer to fix, a stem that has twisted a bit out of alignment, or stanchions/lowers that have twisted? 2 bolts versus potentially a lot more.

When I ride... I'm the guy with the pack full of tools, first aid kit, etc. I'm already usually hanging at the back of the pack anyways. So something minor like re-aligning my stem doesn't but me much... it would be much worse if I bent my bars or did anything else like that. (I don't crash lightly... see, I'm a bit of a hack... :p )

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
For me, it does justify it. After all, what takes longer to fix, a stem that has twisted a bit out of alignment, or stanchions/lowers that have twisted? 2 bolts versus potentially a lot more.
See there's two ways of looking at it. I ask which takes longer, fixing a stem that twists 1 in 3 crashes, or replacing a crown which might hypothetically break 1 in 3,000 crashes. Despite DM stems becoming more and more common, I've yet to see a rise in damaged crowns or lowers as a result. Certainly no more than with clamped stems.

That Twenty6 stem looks pretty damn rad. The stenciling reminds me of the Syndicate team bike pantjobs actually.

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
Does anyone know when the 50mm straitline DM stem is supposed to come out? Or the Thomson DM stem for that matter?

May 25, 2006
See there's two ways of looking at it. I ask which takes longer, fixing a stem that twists 1 in 3 crashes, or replacing a crown which might hypothetically break 1 in 3,000 crashes. Despite DM stems becoming more and more common, I've yet to see a rise in damaged crowns or lowers as a result. Certainly no more than with clamped stems.

That Twenty6 stem looks pretty damn rad. The stenciling reminds me of the Syndicate team bike pantjobs actually.
I'm not really concerned with damaging my crowns or lowers... just having things twist out of alignment. Also, my stem doesn't twist in 1 in 3 crashes either... I guess it will vary from person to person... but is your stem tight enough? Does it have enough contact area with your steer tube? That seems excessive.

Agreed on it looking rad though, I'd love to try one out if I had the budget for fancy new bits like that.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'm not really concerned with damaging my crowns or lowers... just having things twist out of alignment. Also, my stem doesn't twist in 1 in 3 crashes either... I guess it will vary from person to person... but is your stem tight enough? Does it have enough contact area with your steer tube? That seems excessive.

Agreed on it looking rad though, I'd love to try one out if I had the budget for fancy new bits like that.
Ah I was just offering another perspective. I run a FUNN Direct mount (yes I'm a partswhore with the Ti version :redface:) on my DH bike. On my playbike I run a thomson clamp stem and I've noticed it tweaks off centre pretty easily regardless of how silly I tighten it.

The Twenty6 stem looks damn nice, although I prefer the Point1Racing DM stem. Either way, the only downside is they both cost stupid amounts of money to get over here :plthumbsdown:

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Looks nice, that weight has to be with ti bolts right?

I just hope this product has had some decent testing done.

A few of tylers early products were a little half baked and it was only simple problems that would have been found quickly with testing. These issues were resolved pretty quick I believe, but it shouldn't be the end users job to test the product. With brake levers its one thing, but your playing with peoples faces when it comes to stems- so I just hope its done 100%.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Looks nice, that weight has to be with ti bolts right?

I just hope this product has had some decent testing done.

A few of tylers early products were a little half baked and it was only simple problems that would have been found quickly with testing. These issues were resolved pretty quick I believe, but it shouldn't be the end users job to test the product. With brake levers its one thing, but your playing with peoples faces when it comes to stems- so I just hope its done 100%.
Nope, bolts aren't Ti.