Quantcast

Introducing the new Twenty6 stem

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
So the weight is with 4 mount bolts too? Makes it darn light. It looks to have more material than the point 1 but weighs less?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Sounds to me like you need to ride some brakes that don't require constant wrenching and work better anyway...

I know how to change poopy diapers, doesn't mean I want to.
WOW! I've been using Hopes on all my bike for the last 10 years I've NEVER had to constantly do work on them. For the most part they have been virtually maintenance free. From my experience the ones who have trouble with Hope brakes, don't know how to work on them.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
WOW! I've been using Hopes on all my bike for the last 10 years I've NEVER had to constantly do work on them. For the most part they have been virtually maintenance free. From my experience the ones who have trouble with Hope brakes, don't know how to work on them.

Well, i probably should have thought about what a can of worms i was opening...just wanted to make a friendly jibe at your HUGE hope banner...

Hopes are fine, beautifully made. I prefer avid and formula, but I like leopard print and pink too, so what do i know...? :cheers:

Oct 14, 2007
I have to say...that bike is GGG...and I never say that...the parts selection is to my liking...the color coordination is nothing over the top...GGG...

mrpercussive

Monkey
Feb 11, 2007
CA
sick bike brian... seeing it in person last night was just sweet!!! XD

Oh and thanx for the hookup on the stem...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
So the weight is with 4 mount bolts too?
Can someone answer that? Is the stem weighed with just the 4 faceplate bolts, or those bolts PLUS the 4 direct mount bolts?

Because that's how the pointone is weighed (all in steel). Be cool to see an on scale pic.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Can someone answer that? Is the stem weighed with just the 4 faceplate bolts, or those bolts PLUS the 4 direct mount bolts?

Because that's how the pointone is weighed (all in steel). Be cool to see an on scale pic.
Check out the very first picture in my post, yes, it's four mounting bolts, the faceplate was already bolted too.

HighMinion

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
Adding another weight into the picture, mines 124 grams (black like yours Brian) couldn't be happier................just need the Boxxer now.

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
I should hope so too - Aluminium Alloy bolts of that size in a stem would = Death :bonk:

Maybe if they were really large, but then that would defeat the point....

b-b00gie

Chimp
Dec 1, 2003
So does anyone want to explain why there is an almost 10g difference shown here? I could see a few grams difference...

- Brian got his scale with the Ridemonkey weight-tune? (I kid, I kid...)
- Missing one bolt during the measurement? (I only spot 3 in the pic)
- Ti bolts (Brian says no)
- Was the design changed at all between the stem Sicklines weighed and what Brian has?
- Does the material vary much in weight or is it usually pretty consistant?

Brian, this is all tongue in cheek, just would like to know... ;)

b-b00gie

Chimp
Dec 1, 2003
I should hope so too - Aluminium Alloy bolts of that size in a stem would = Death :bonk:

Maybe if they were really large, but then that would defeat the point....
Who said anything about aluminum? It says "alloy" bolts. (ie.. a mixture of two or more metals)

(in reference to Seb's comment about the Straightline stem)

Last edited:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
So does anyone want to explain why there is an almost 10g difference shown here? I could see a few grams difference...

- Brian got his scale with the Ridemonkey weight-tune? (I kid, I kid...)
- Missing one bolt during the measurement? (I only spot 3 in the pic)
- Ti bolts (Brian says no)
- Was the design changed at all between the stem Sicklines weighed and what Brian has?
- Does the material vary much in weight or is it usually pretty consistant?

Brian, this is all tongue in cheek, just would like to know... ;)
Nope 4 bolts, Sale was adjusted to benifit weight reading;) I just weighed another one I have laying around in blackfor sale(spam) and it weighs in @ 125g

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
they changed the design for 2011/2012. Anybody know why? He's closing out his pre-2011 stems, might be a decent deal, but I like stiff and reliable rather than light and pretty.

samIam

Chimp
Jun 23, 2011
The design is now a two piece and i believe the face plate is wider, to make it stronger and stiffer. The stem is also slightly heavier.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
they changed the design for 2011/2012. Anybody know why? He's closing out his pre-2011 stems, might be a decent deal, but I like stiff and reliable rather than light and pretty.
Since I've noticed you're on a budget with your new build look up dartmoor rage stem. Unless the US distro has some crazy margin they should be very affordable and they weight only ~25-30g more. None of the test stems had any issues and it has been on the market for 1 year with no word of them failing so it might be a good shot.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
looks cool. The twenty6 stems are $55, available in 3 different extensions, and are available in the color I'd like to have. Plus they're made in the US of A by people with hands, not weird little claw-like appendages.

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011

i got the new one, which is 50-55MM(i think, i needed the longest DM they make to fit my dorado) and the smaller is a 40-45 MM, i guess opting for a less wide range ups the durability ? or something. Anyways im perfectly happy with mine :)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
he says the newer one is a bit stronger. I guess it's 2 piece instead of 3 piece, which is always an improvement in my book. I guess my big question is, is the 2010 version unsafe or less safe than other ones? Were there lots of broken stems?

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
he says the newer one is a bit stronger. I guess it's 2 piece instead of 3 piece, which is always an improvement in my book. I guess my big question is, is the 2010 version unsafe or less safe than other ones? Were there lots of broken stems?

Twenty 6 DM stems suck ass..I broke two of them - each was ONE crash each.. not even very hard crashes. Even if the new one is stronger, I would never use their stem again. I would tell anyone who is riding with one to change it out as soon as they can too. It's a **** design, super flexy.. mine cracked in 3 places the second time. The little bit of metal between the different stem length adjustments will shear and your stem will twist and break.

It's not even worth $10 IMO.... but it sure looks pretty...ride at your own risk, don't say you weren't warned.

On the bright side- customer service was awesome. When my stem broke the first time, I sent them a picture of it and they replaced it immediately. Too bad one crash later that one was toast.