Quantcast

Introduction/ask for help!

j2thec

Chimp
Jul 13, 2007
As a noob this is my first post. I've been lurking for a while but finally decided to ask for some help.

I've been in the XC for a while & just now getting into dj/urban/park. I recently picked up a used on-one gimp & I'm having a lot of fun with it.

My problem is I need to replace the bottom bracket, but I'd like to switch over to bmx style crank/bb with micro drive sprockets for added clearance & strength.

Can anyone help me out with what kind of setup I need as far as bottom bracket & cranks? I've been trying to research on the web, but I'm getting thoroughly confused:crazy: & don't want to order the wrong parts!

Thanks!
Jc

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
I'm not familiar with the Gimp frame, but you need to make sure that you are ordering the right style of bottom bracket in the appropriate width. Typically mtb bb's are euro and come in a wider width than bmx bb's. BMX bb's come in mid, spanish, american, and euro styles. All have different size bearings and configurations in the bottom bracket. Some are just pressed in, others come in a threaded unit such as euro. Odds are your Gimp is euro, but make sure of it and check the bb width to make sure you don't end up with too narrow of a bb. Also if you are running a bmx style crank and ring, keep in mind there is different style bmx chains out there according to the ring you are running. AKA you will not be able to run a mtb (3/32 I think) with most rings. The most common chain for bmx street is probably a 1/8, but there is also beefy rings that accomodate a fat 3/16 chain. I recommend just going the 1/8th route.

j2thec

Chimp
Jul 13, 2007
Sayndesyn, thanks for the reply!

The shell width is 68mm, the current bb is threaded & I believe is a FSA ISIS DH.

So that is euro, correct?