Quantcast

Inventory

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Something about making sure stock purchased - sales = stock on hand. You don't get taxed on loses.

Ok, I pulled that right out of my butt. Am I right?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Ridemonkey said:
Hey accounting types - why do businesses do inventory at the end of the year?

dh girlie said:
For tax purposes...
Even more so that we can have accurate books at the end of the year. It is when you reconcile your perpetual (what you have on hand) with your books.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Most companies take inventory more than just once a year. Generally twice so they can keep track of their "shrink" and "swell".

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
McGRP01 said:
Most companies take inventory more than just once a year. Generally twice so they can keep track of their "shrink" and "swell".
We inventory our vehicles monthly and parts annually. It depends on how big your inventory is, how cumbersome and how good your controls are.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Ridemonkey said:
Some companies, including mine, do inventory at the end of every month. Mainly for revue and cost issues.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
ok so now answer this. Why are debits on the left and credits on the right?

This could turn exciting any minute now

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
ok so now answer this. Why are debits on the left and credits on the right?

This could turn exciting any minute now
After 6 years of schooling I still couldn't tell you the answer....they just are!!! :eviltongu

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
Ridemonkey said:
not an accounting type, nor do I play one on TV, but they are frikking ANNOYING!!!!! we just did ours at REI and it nearly killed me off. try selling product from boxes/areas of the warehouse that we're not supposed to sell stuff from. argh!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
slowSSer said:
not an accounting type, nor do I play one on TV, but they are frikking ANNOYING!!!!! we just did ours at REI and it nearly killed me off. try selling product from boxes/areas of the warehouse that we're not supposed to sell stuff from. argh!
Try taking what you guys sell, breaking it apart into each component, and counting the entire stock that way.

Raw materials and finished goods warehouse inventory at Mountain Hardwear. We do it once a year, and it's mandatory for EVERYONE.

I got to count buckles, care labels and zippers for two days. WEE!

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
H8R said:
Try taking what you guys sell, breaking it apart into each component, and counting the entire stock that way.

Raw materials and finished goods warehouse inventory at Mountain Hardwear. We do it once a year, and it's mandatory for EVERYONE.

Shut up and get back to work before I mess with your payroll check :blah: :eviltongu :blah:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ridemonkey said:
If you mess with my threads I am going to tell everyone that you are a hippy.
But I use soap, ergo, no hippy am I.

:)

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
H8R said:
Hey I'm on lunch, go sell some crampons or something.

:blah: :)
Here is a great rule(s) to live by in the Corporate World.

In no particular order

- Don't piss off the IT Department
- Don't piss off the Accounting Department

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Here is a great rule(s) to live by in the Corporate World.

In no particular order

- Don't piss off the IT Department
- Don't piss off the Accounting Department
DO NOT piss off the cafeteria staff.

:eek:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
H8R said:

Any chance of getting some Ridemonkey deals on the MH goodies??? :D

-S.S.-

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
You have to get your costs "right" so you count to see what the value of the inventory you have left is. That way you can somewhat accurately say what the costs of the inventory you sold was.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
H8R said:

damn. ok- you win!

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Heidi said:
You have to get your costs "right" so you count to see what the value of the inventory you have left is. That way you can somewhat accurately say what the costs of the inventory you sold was.
Why can't you just add up your sales?

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
When I worked for PricewaterhouseCoopers I had to count all types of things...Balley's fine leather stuff, cars, vegetables, oil levels, movies...

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Inventory is taken is most small businesses to calculate cost of goods sold. In your basic business (mom and pop), you can take it just twice a year, beg and end.

Beg Inv
+ Purch
= cost of goods avail for sale
(End Inv)
=cost of goods sold

BAM!!

Debits are on the left and credits are on the right because that's how it's always been and how it always will be. Duh...

Oh yeah, shirts??? Co'mon RM...

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Ridemonkey said:
Why can't you just add up your sales?
Sales don't give you the cost of good sold. You sell something for one amount, but chances are, that's not the amount you bought it for, or produced it for.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
reflux said:
Oh yeah, shirts??? Co'mon RM...
The only way I get these things done is to publically announce some milestone. By Monday I'll have a list of final design candidates and we can vote on them.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Heidi said:
Sales don't give you the cost of good sold. You sell something for one amount, but chances are, that's not the amount you bought it for, or produced it for.
Is accounting less complicated in Canada?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Heidi said:
Yes, they still use the barter system. :)
Inventory in Canada...

"One beaver pelt, two beaver pelts, three beaver pelts..."

BillT

Monkey
Heidi said:
When I worked for PricewaterhouseCoopers I had to count all types of things...Balley's fine leather stuff, cars, vegetables, oil levels, movies...

I worked for Ernst & Young for several years and most interesting thing I got to count were actual breast implants. A friend of mine worked for EY in South Africa before moving to the states and got to go down into diamond mines and count raw diamonds...the drawback to this assignment was the strip search on the way out to make sure you weren't hiding a gem up your crack.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
BillT said:
the drawback to this assignment was the strip search on the way out to make sure you weren't hiding a gem up your crack.
To quote a movie that I can't remember the name of, "All right, strip down, full body cavity searches for everyone!"