Quantcast

Invisiframe vs Ride Wrap

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So new bike is in but I'm a frequent crasher so I need some protective film. Does any monkey have experience with Invisiframe or RideWrap? Any problems? Is it worth it?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Plenty experience with fitting invisiframe but never wrapped any of my own bikes.
Before choosing have you checked ridewrap and invisiframe both actually have kits for your frame?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Plenty experience with fitting invisiframe but never wrapped any of my own bikes.
Before choosing have you checked ridewrap and invisiframe both actually have kits for your frame?
Yup. Both have. For the first time in my life I have a fairly popular frame.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
No experience with ridewrap so couldn't comment on the quality or fitting process but as it seems to be twice the price of invisiframe I'd have to assume something is different about it otherwise it'd just not be good VFM.
All the invisiframe kits I've fitted have had good coverage but the occasional one has had either an extra piece or a piece I've needed to trim slightly to fit better. They generally come with extra pieces too. Fitting can be a ball ache but that's generally more to do with frame design than the kits. It can be super time consuming and It's not a job I enjoy particularly.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
No experience with ridewrap so couldn't comment on the quality or fitting process but as it seems to be twice the price of invisiframe I'd have to assume something is different about it otherwise it'd just not be good VFM.
All the invisiframe kits I've fitted have had good coverage but the occasional one has had either an extra piece or a piece I've needed to trim slightly to fit better. They generally come with extra pieces too. Fitting can be a ball ache but that's generally more to do with frame design than the kits. It can be super time consuming and It's not a job I enjoy particularly.
From a quick research Ride Wrap covers a bigger % of the frame, comes with all the tools you need and some people claim it looks slightly better on glossy frames (vs invisiframe being better on matte).

I am dreading the process already but since I have to stay at home for the next 2 weekends I might as well spend them annoying myself with some protective film

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've purchased and installed some ridewrap for the frame I have now, just their generic kit. It's nice and you get everything you need to do it.

I also got a kit specifically for my fork, but I haven't done it yet as it looks like a pain to do.

It takes a lot of time and patience. Luckily my frame is all mostly straight tubes, so it was relatively easy.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I've purchased and installed some ridewrap for the frame I have now, just their generic kit. It's nice and you get everything you need to do it.

I also got a kit specifically for my fork, but I haven't done it yet as it looks like a pain to do.

It takes a lot of time and patience. Luckily my frame is all mostly straight tubes, so it was relatively easy.
Yeah I'm wondering if I should splurge for their super duper kit or just go with the mid pack version.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
The Ridewrap website walks you through the miraculous properties of their product…

I got my Sight wrapped for me after watching some friends curse their way through the process.

it seems to offer some protection, but a rock strike is a rock strike.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
gotcha...was just throwing it out there as a cheaper and probably more durable alternative. i tend to ride my bikes until they're ded, so resale isn't an issue. even so, i'm wonder if you could pull mastic off and magic sponge the residue (or even if mastic would really affect resale that much).

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
gotcha...was just throwing it out there as a cheaper and probably more durable alternative. i tend to ride my bikes until they're ded, so resale isn't an issue. even so, i'm wonder if you could pull mastic off and magic sponge the residue (or even if mastic would really affect resale that much).
Yeah unless I fall in love with the Capra I plan to ride it for 1-2 seasons and then see if I want something different

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Invisiframe comes in either matte or gloss.
And used to come with the plastic squeegee (no idea if it still does. But if not I'd expect them to sell it).
The only other thing you need is a spray bottle and baby shampoo.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
lol. i just run a strip of mastic down the downtube and bottom of the chainstays and forget about it. it's just a bike.
yeah.
I'm exactly the same but I tend not to sell bikes or frames on for years n years if at all.
I'd only ever recommend bothering to wrap a frame if you plan on selling it on within 2 years.
Because.
It's more about resale value than anything.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Heat gun takes mastic off and leaves no residue if you take your time.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah unless I fall in love with the Capra I plan to ride it for 1-2 seasons and then see if I want something different
If its the black carbon Capra. They used to come wrapped.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Invisiframe comes in either matte or gloss.
And used to come with the plastic squeegee (no idea if it still does. But if not I'd expect them to sell it).
The only other thing you need is a spray bottle and baby shampoo.
Why baby shampoo?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Invisiframe has a fitting video.. Its years since I watched it but IIRC it explains the process pretty well.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Because every other shampoo is full of badness.

You dilute a tiny bit in water.. It allows you to reposition the tape when fitting.
Yeah being bald means I know shit about shampoo. It was used for cleaning the frame? Since I have some fancy mucoff gifted to me by my inlaws.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I have all my hair but don't use shampoo either.
No it's not for cleaning the frame. But I see no reason you couldn't also use it for that.
Trafic film remover is generally what's recommended tho.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I have all my hair but don't use shampoo either.
No it's not for cleaning the frame. But I see no reason you couldn't also use it for that.
Trafic film remover is generally what's recommended tho.
I did spend a buttload of money to keep my hair til 32 and not get bald at 21 like my father but at least now I can spend that cash on fancy bike protecting things and embrace my sexi nazi look (After I shaved my head my GF told me I look like Ed Norton in American History X. Not sure how to take it).

Also Trafic Film Remover on a new bike? ( I am dumb when it comes to cleaning bikes. I am also dumb when it comes to other stuff)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. Even brand new frames still need cleaned before application

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
That's the best Ed Norton ever looked*. I'd take it as a compliment.

*Except when he was played by Bad Pitt in Figh club ;)
Yeah but she also has said it 1 day after a bunch of nazis and football fans attacked a pride in this fucked up country so I was like "uuugh could have waited with that look". Then again pre shaving she compared me to Waingro from the movie "Heat" so her comparisons are weird.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Had to google "Waingro" having never seen Heat. and looking at the Actor now.

He actually looks like a better looking slightly older version of Ed Norton in AHx
so maybe her comparisons aren't all that weird.
Coulda been a lot worse you could have gone on trying to deny the baldness for a further 50 years and she'd have started comparing you to Jack Nicholson. ;)

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I did a non-frame specific kit from RideWrap on my GG, and one of their fitted kits on the fork. The generic kit has plenty of pieces to get good coverage on the front triangle. Rear triangle it was a maybe a tad light. It's generally held up pretty well, but on chainstays in particular it can start peeling from heel rub.

Installation mostly isn't too bad but I still ended up with bubbles in some spots. Some contours of the frame and fork the damn stuff just didn't want to stay stuck so I blasted it with a heat gun while repeatedly smoothing it down and it eventually stuck.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I did a non-frame specific kit from RideWrap on my GG, and one of their fitted kits on the fork. The generic kit has plenty of pieces to get good coverage on the front triangle. Rear triangle it was a maybe a tad light. It's generally held up pretty well, but on chainstays in particular it can start peeling from heel rub.

Installation mostly isn't too bad but I still ended up with bubbles in some spots. Some contours of the frame and fork the damn stuff just didn't want to stay stuck so I blasted it with a heat gun while repeatedly smoothing it down and it eventually stuck.
Oh yeah, my heal either ripped off or rubbed through the stuff after two rides.

I also found some bubbles on the first sheet I did...and a cat hair dammit.

MOAR lubrication is better. I made an absolute mess in the kitchen doing it, but it helped. So did beer(s).

Even though it was a right pain, I think I'd do it again.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. The wrap was a nice surprise addition on the 21 onward carbons. (not just the mega) and NP have thrown in touch up paint in for years. Mind prices are approaching proper brands now ;)
Vitus do the same BTW. (no huge surprise there really ;) )

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Had to google "Waingro" having never seen Heat. and looking at the Actor now.

He actually looks like a better looking slightly older version of Ed Norton in AHx
so maybe her comparisons aren't all that weird.
Coulda been a lot worse you could have gone on trying to deny the baldness for a further 50 years and she'd have started comparing you to Jack Nicholson. ;)
That is true but he was a fuckup that got DeNiro killed and was a prostitute killer. Not the light you want your gf to see you in ;)