Quantcast

Invisiframe vs Ride Wrap

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
unpopular opinion - framewrap is what's wrong with the industry. that our mountain bicycles are so precious that we're *that* concerned about scratches & said impact on resale value is just silly. embrace the patina i say.

(fwiw, all my bikes either start out as, or eventually end up raw. fuck paint).
popular with me.

hardest time i ever had rawing a bike was my old santa cruz jackal (the one with the hump by the steerer tube). thing prolly had 1/8" thick paint on it.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
unpopular opinion - framewrap is what's wrong with the industry. that our mountain bicycles are so precious that we're *that* concerned about scratches & said impact on resale value is just silly. embrace the patina i say.

(fwiw, all my bikes either start out as, or eventually end up raw. fuck paint).
Can you tell that to the people buying used bikes? I don't give a shit about scratches but I don't want to lose 20% of my resale value because some braindead kid thinks maintanance matters less than scratches. It's as simple as that. Bikes should have scratches but the resale market is dumb.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So ride it until it breaks.
I tend to keep my frames for a long time. My last bike was 11 years old when I sold it but I am not heavy on frames. I do crash a lot = a lot of scratches but I don't brake them. So I switch them when I feel like I need a different bike. Bought an enduro bike because I want to go to some places without lifts. I will keep it for a while but if I feel like I need to go back to dh, get a trailbike or whatever I still want to be able to sell it.

I am 100% into the belief that you buy stuff and keep it as long as it works. Hell I only recently replaced my 2011 laptop I used for office stuff. It's still makes financial sense for me to spend 100$ on frame protection and get 300-500$ for it down the line.