Quantcast

Invisiframe vs Ride Wrap

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Oh yeah, my heal either ripped off or rubbed through the stuff after two rides.

I also found some bubbles on the first sheet I did...and a cat hair dammit.

MOAR lubrication is better. I made an absolute mess in the kitchen doing it, but it helped. So did beer(s).

Even though it was a right pain, I think I'd do it again.
That's my main issue. I walk like a penguin so I also hit the stays with my wonky legs

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That's my main issue. I walk like a penguin so I also hit the stays with my wonky legs
Just put something more substantial in that spot like a tube, mastic tape etc.

Ridewrap and really any of the other similar stuff is really only to prevent damage to the paint or finish.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
DeNiro played some pretty horrible characters in Movies too :o

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Just put something more substantial in that spot like a tube, mastic tape etc.

Ridewrap and really any of the other similar stuff is really only to prevent damage to the paint or finish.
The frame has some protection there from the factory so that's good

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Soap acts as a lubricant that later evaporates but allows re-positioning for a while. Remember, most greases have soap as a base but carried in a gel.

They're a pain in the ass, but they do protect against transportation scratching, which is where the majority of my frame marking comes from.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Soap acts as a lubricant that later evaporates but allows re-positioning for a while. Remember, most greases have soap as a base but carried in a gel.

They're a pain in the ass, but they do protect against transportation scratching, which is where the majority of my frame marking comes from.
Thanks for mentioning transportation. I'm a moron and completely forgot about stupi scratches from it. Will splurge and get the fancy 95% ride wrap and then complain about a weekend spend playing with foil

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The one thing I liked about Ridewrap is that their packaging and contents was really good. Its comes with everything you need except for the bike, water and spray bottle.

But yeah when you go to do it, be prepared to punt any nearby random object when you either mess up, discover some dirt/bubbles or have to try and peal the wrap back and do it again. Bring beer.

One thing I learned is to not even bother with trying to cover the welds - the shit just won't stick to it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've been riding bikes long enough that I know where I rub/scratch frames so I just apply the 3m Helicopter tape or whatever it is called where it is needed because it is relatively inexpensive and a roll will last several bikes.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Anodize all the frame.
Cool thing with anodized frames - you can use a blowtorch to undo munted fasteners and seized bearing races without tarnishing them.

Uh... not that I'd ever recommend a blowtorch as a bike tool. No sirreee

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
So new bike is in but I'm a frequent crasher so I need some protective film. Does any monkey have experience with Invisiframe or RideWrap? Any problems? Is it worth it?
I dont have toooo much time with RideWrap, but I bought the "Covered" bundle and its been great. I was concerned it was gunu look like clear stickers on my flat tan paint job, but it is next to invisible. The instructions kinda intimidated me for a sec, but watching a couple youtube vids made the job a breeze.

I just got back from whistler, traveling and flying with my bike, and im glad I bought this stuff. Holy shit some people don't care about their jobs

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I dont have toooo much time with RideWrap, but I bought the "Covered" bundle and its been great. I was concerned it was gunu look like clear stickers on my flat tan paint job, but it is next to invisible. The instructions kinda intimidated me for a sec, but watching a couple youtube vids made the job a breeze.

I just got back from whistler, traveling and flying with my bike, and im glad I bought this stuff. Holy shit some people don't care about their jobs
Pulled the triger on those. Will see. I'm not the most precise person in the world but I have time next weekend so I will just go slow

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I think its actually one of those types of things where chugging a beer and just sending it, is the better way to go. Otherwise you're going to be humming and hawing over it not being perfect, which will just make it worse.

Its all in the prep making sure the pieces fit and are ready to go. Then beer + full send.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That's where the problem is, if you peel it up and fix one bubble, when you lay it back down there's going to be another one somewhere else or a piece of dust or something. Or in my case in one spot, a friggin cat hair.

If you don't get it right the first time, then its probably going to be like that for good. Just make sure to soak everything in the liquid - like seriously, get that everywhere and make a mess, the more the better. And then big long firm strokes of the squeegee.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I installed the RideWrap Tailored kit on my new bike back in late March. Overall it fit pretty well and I had to only make a few minor adjustments to some pieces. There were so many pieces though, some areas don't really seem necessary to cover. Next time I'd probably just get the Covered kit instead. I took my time with it over two evenings and probably spent 5-6 hours getting it installed. It turned out really well with almost no bubbles and I haven't noticed any edges coming up yet.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
That's where the problem is, if you peel it up and fix one bubble, when you lay it back down there's going to be another one somewhere else or a piece of dust or something. Or in my case in one spot, a friggin cat hair.

If you don't get it right the first time, then its probably going to be like that for good. Just make sure to soak everything in the liquid - like seriously, get that everywhere and make a mess, the more the better. And then big long firm strokes of the squeegee.
Shiiiiiit. I have cats that produce enough hair to fill 1 years worth of patagonia jackets. I may need to do it outside.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Why baby shampoo?
Little known fact: Hospitals use Baby Shampoo to clean wounds. It has a tiny bit of anti-ouch sauce in it. You know, for the baby's eyes. I carry a travel size bottle on road trips with my first aid kit.

The Don (GMBN) just used Ride Wrap on his brand new Levo build. Looks legit.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Little known fact: Hospitals use Baby Shampoo to clean wounds. It has a tiny bit of anti-ouch sauce in it. You know, for the baby's eyes. I carry a travel size bottle on road trips with my first aid kit.

The Don (GMBN) just used Ride Wrap on his brand new Levo build. Looks legit.
Do bikes need anti ouch? I thought I'm overprotective of my bike

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Will split this to 2 days since I have shit to do today but jesus. I should have went with less protection. All the bends and cutouts in ride wrap mean that it's easier to pass a kidney stone than to have no places where the wrap sticks out. Will get a scalpel tomorrow and "correct" it.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
3 weeks to fit some sticky back plastic? :nopity:
Just grab your fanny pack and ride the fucking thing!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
3 weeks to fit some sticky back plastic? :nopity:
Just grab your fanny pack and ride the fucking thing!
Gary you're so hard and manly I'm worried I would not have survived your testosterone levels. I would also feel weird with hair growing even on my eyeballs.

Also I have a nasty toe infection that has been going on the past 1.5 weeks. Having a clown nose for a toe is a good excuse. (yay climbing is healthy)

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Finished it. Right in time for the toe to get close to being usable (will robably be able to ride in 1-2 days). @canadmos you were right about the beer. This was so frustrating beer would have helped me from getting mad. Coffee was the wrong beverage of choice.

Also practicing to get the perfect ratio of the "formula" is key. Jesus what a difference it makes. It's like a difference between having sex and having sex with a hedgehog.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
have fun having a babyhead deflect up and dent your pretty new frame's downtube right through your thin clear anti-scratch labor of love on your first ride and wishing you'd used the oh so simple but oh so not cool mastic tape instead!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
have fun having a babyhead deflect up and dent your pretty new frame's downtube right through your thin clear anti-scratch labor of love on your first ride and wishing you'd used the oh so simple but oh so not cool mastic tape instead!
Weirdly it's not much thinner than the old tape I used on my DH bike plus the downtube has a protector thingy so unless I'm unlucky it's not as bad. Kinda bummed in 1 part the film on the DT is a bit visibly uneven but it's been 6h and my patience for 1 annoying piece ran out.

Also thankfully the DT isn't as flat as some Trek or Intense designs so I am hoping it will deflect rocks a bit better. I have a phobia of flat af downtubes for fear of dents anyway.